Kayaking

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Anyone here into it? Went today in one of the springs and had a blast. Water clarity was amazing. Saw a bunch of wildlife, including a few gators. Pretty cool.

Been considering buying one of my own so I can go out whenever I want without renting. Would also love to go on a multi day trip and do some primitive camping along the way. Only thing is, I'm not sure my back can take it. After a few hours I usually get pretty tight / sore in my lower back. Looking around on the Internet seems like posture, technique and flexibility work could solve a lot of those issues. If anyone has some advice on that last bit it would be greatly appreciated.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much are you looking to spend if you were to buy one?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I was thinking like $1k or so but I don't know really for sure. Less than that would be great, but I'd be willing to go more if need be. I don't know enough about what's out there to really be able to make a determination on that right now. Let's put it this way - if I could spend $500 on something that was just "ok" and I would want to upgrade in a year or less vs. be really happy with something for $1500 that would be a solid long term investment....I'd go the $1500 route.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
ive done a lot of camping but no experience kayaking but as fas as the back probs goe get ya a lil mini airmatress u can haul with ya be better than the hard ground when campin out. I hurt my back some years ago and thought it would ruin a big hunting trip out to the deercamp but took one of those badboys and it was a trip saver

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, go buy this one then. I highly recommend it, its a perfect Florida yak, imo. It's called a Diablo and you can get one for around $1500 brand new, with a trolling motor, and the lawn chair seat included. My bff has it. It's actually classified as a micro skiff, I'm not sure why? Maybe because it has a motor?

Chupacabra.jpg

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thing is sturdy as fuck in the water.

008.png

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wow, damn

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How much cargo room in that one? I want enough space to be able to pack a tent, sleeping bag, cooking stuff, first aid kit, food etc. E.g.

camp_gear_guide_09122.jpg

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, they are really nice, Nvan. Go the $1500 route if you can and just get a nice as fuck one right off the bat. I mean, it'll last the rest of your life so get a top notch one, imo. The Diablo would be great for you considering the issues your having with your back. It is comfortable as hell.

In the first pic I posted it has the foam seat under the lawn chair seat, not sure why because the foam seat would be removed for extra storage. They make custom Yeti coolers that fit under the chair, fuggin sweet as shit. You can stand on the cooler and use it as a poling platform for fishing. Of course, you can outfit the yak however you want, doesn't have to be a fish killing machine like how we use them. :D

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thanks man, really appreciate it

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
DOOD, cargo space? You can load that bitch down. I think my buddy said he can carry like 500 pounds. It's 12 1/2 ft long, and I believe 4 ft wide. That may sound weird, being 4 ft wide, it really isn't once you see it though.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
4' does sound super wide for a kayak....but I'm guessing that's where a lot of the stability comes from for stand up fishing.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
yep, gimmie a sec, I'll post a pic of mine and his for comparison. But don't let the 4 ft thing scare you off, its not bulky or anything to be honest. His boat, and mine weigh the same, like 67-70 pounds, something like that.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
not that great of a pic, sorry

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nice - I wasn't worried about the weight. Mostly just thinking about navigating through thick stuff. But....it looks like it probably has a really shallow draft, which would be an adequate trade off. E.g. tight width wise some places, but better in shallows.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You live around Clearwater right? You guys ever do any of the Great Calusa Blueway?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
closest thing to a kayak ive ever had was a johnboat hehe

897028_03_12_aluminum_john_boat_640.jpg