Urlacher not opposed to coming out of retirement.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
So you're talking about 2012? Brian Urlacher was "as effective or more effective than every LB outside of Kuechly, Willis and Bowman"? I disagree based on the eye test. Against the Titans on his int return for a TD it was painful to watch a once great Bear try to run. That was 2012, would he have been faster in 2013? 31 NFL GM's didn't think so, neither did I. Let's see what happens in 2014, maybe he got faster, maybe you're right, or maybe this is J'Marcus Webb 2.0

Was he the best linebacker sideline to sideline? No, but he still had speed up to 15 yards and knew where the fuck to be and what to do when he got there. Urlacher had 8 stuffs in 12 games in 2012 Willis had 7 in 16 games, Bowman had 6 in 16 games, Kuechly had 11 in 16 games Wagner had 6 London Fletcher 6. Even in 2012 on one leg he was still making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Was he the best linebacker sideline to sideline? No, but he still had speed up to 15 yards and knew where the fuck to be and what to do when he got there. Urlacher had 8 stuffs in 12 games in 2012 Willis had 7 in 16 games, Bowman had 6 in 16 games, Kuechly had 11 in 16 games Wagner had 6 London Fletcher 6. Even in 2012 on one leg he was still making plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.

I loved the guy and wanted him back in 2013, but I wanted him back for continuity and his leadership, I think those things were missed. I just don't think his play would have made much difference, even compared to Bos.... Bost... I can't say it.

The myth that bothers me is that Emery fucked it up, Brian didn't play here last season because of Brian. It is 100% on him. I'm no Emery apologist, but the Urlacher thing is not the smoking gun proof that Phil sucks. Keep looking, but let this one go.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shea will be in the middle sometime this year. He already scares the fuck out of DJ. Brian was great but he is done. We have a new big LB that can run like a deer.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I loved the guy and wanted him back in 2013, but I wanted him back for continuity and his leadership, I think those things were missed. I just don't think his play would have made much difference, even compared to Bos.... Bost... I can't say it.

The myth that bothers me is that Emery fucked it up, Brian didn't play here last season because of Brian. It is 100% on him. I'm no Emery apologist, but the Urlacher thing is not the smoking gun proof that Phil sucks. Keep looking, but let this one go.

The smoking gun that Emery sucks? Where did you gather that someone was thinking that?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While I do believe Emery goofed in making a beter effort in signing Urlacher last year

I'm convinced Emery was smitten for DJ Williams before he even made an offer to Urlacher.

That's who I was replying to in my first post. It was all the way back on last page.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Urlacher would have told Anderson to pick up the ball but to pretend he hasn't regressed himself is foolish. Also this isn't Lovie's defense being ran by Tucker anymore, it's Tucker's defense period. He might not want some old LB who cant run and cover anymore in his defense. Time to let Urlacher go Bear fans, he was a beast and a future Hall of Famer but the keyword is WAS

More than one thing can be true at the same time.

For example...

Its true that Emery handled the situation correctly (tho maybe he could have done some more ego massaging)
Its true that the Bears would have been better with Urlacher last year
Its true that Urlacher regressed or declined a good bit in 2011/2012
Its true that Urlacher was kind of a bitch about the whole thing
Its true that Urlacher is one of my favorite players of all time

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But you used a pic 6 play as an example of how urlacher was declining... lmao

Lol, I did do that. But it took old Brian about four minutes to run 20 yards. Thank god it was against the Titans who really didn't mind waiting.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

For example...

Its true that Emery handled the situation correctly (tho maybe he could have done some more ego massaging)

Urlacher was was in All-Pro form in 2011 IMO. He had a slightly down year in 2012 on what was admittedly a bad knee and a knee he probably should have had surgery on instead of letting it ride. Despite his bad knee he was still playing at a high level. Was he great like he should have been? No. He had a really bad game against the Seahawks that was almost a passing of the torch type,of game, at least it felt like one given where the two teams are now. There were some other shaky games but he didn't deserve to be treated like shit.

Urlacher deserved at a minimum a two year extension. A once in a generation player with once in a generation ability is not someone you so easily brush aside without 100% certainty that he's over the hill.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

For example...

Its also true that relying on an old slow Urlacher isn't the best option right now. Once again this isn't Lovie's defense, it's Tucker's. I do agree Urlacher's leadership would have helped the defense but to what extent?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Shea will be in the middle sometime this year. He already scares the fuck out of DJ. Brian was great but he is done. We have a new big LB that can run like a deer.
Agreed. Shea mac!!!! You angry bad dudee!

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

Yes, because we all know that the Bears never 'reviewed film' and padded Urlacher's (or Pepper's stats). There's a thing called the eye test. We'd watch games and see Urlacher and Peppers be invisible. Then the 'refined' stat sheet coms out and Julius magically has 8 tackles.

The eye test showed you that Urlacher was slow - a shadow of his former self. Also showed him getting blown off the ball - often - by tight ends and more importantly, running backs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fair enough. Other teams should work on that, too. I never stated I hated all aspects of his D, but I never cared for it much. It was too easy to pass all over the scheme and find glaring holes. I'm more of a Blache type D but without his dumb idea of 'sacks are overrated'. Other than that, I liked his D a lot.

Including the trail technique?
images

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Urlacher was was in All-Pro form in 2011 IMO. He had a slightly down year in 2012 on what was admittedly a bad knee and a knee he probably should have had surgery on instead of letting it ride. Despite his bad knee he was still playing at a high level. Was he great like he should have been? No. He had a really bad game against the Seahawks that was almost a passing of the torch type,of game, at least it felt like one given where the two teams are now. There were some other shaky games but he didn't deserve to be treated like shit.

Urlacher deserved at a minimum a two year extension. A once in a generation player with once in a generation ability is not someone you so easily brush aside without 100% certainty that he's over the hill.

A 35 year old player, coming off two marginal seasons - both of which including significant leg injuries - who wanted much more money than any team in the NFL wanted to pay?

That's the guy you wanted to sign to a two year extension (to be playing at age 37?).

As far as 'one in a generation' stuff - really? What exactly is a 'generation' in sports - 20 years or so?

For most of his career, Urlacher wasn't even the best player at his position in the league. For the last 4-5 years, he wasn't in the top 5.

Nice player and probably a hall of famer, but let's not get crazy here.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
While true about sentimental GM's....

Did you see our defense last year?

Urlacher on one leg was still better than the shit show our non-sentimental GM replaced him with.

Btw, a lot of people in Minnesota say Allen was done. A lot of people say Tillman is done. A lot of people said Ratliff was done. A lot of people said Marshall was done.

You really don't know whether he was or wasn't. All you know is he ran the #3defense in the NFL and was the #2 rated pass defending LB in the NFL.

Let's see:

Allen - is 35, visibly slow and coming off of 2 back to back significant leg injuries? Was he playing as a shadow of his former self? Allen has 11.5 sacks last season, 12 the year before and 22 the year before that. I'll GLADLY take that 'was done' from my DE.

Tillman - he may very well be done. Riddled with injuries and was not playing at his level before the injury last year. The clock may have finally expired on him. Time will tell this season.

Ratliff - jury is still out. He too may be done. I didn't see enough of or from him to know if he's done or not.

Marshall - who said he was done? He was in the prime of his career when he came here. Averaging 83 catches a year on a shit Miami team. Yes, his personal shit was the question, but not one person on the planet thought he was done.

As for 'non-sentimental GM' - why do you want your GM to be sentimental? This isn't a retirement party. Why do fans want players, coaches and execs to act like they do? Sentiment should have ZERO weight in evaluating what players to put on the field. Notice, 31 other 'non-sentimental GMs' weren't interested in the services of Brian Urlacher. They are paid - handsomely - to evaluate NFL talent. They do it every day - and have done it every day at the highest level - for dozens of years. Translation: I trust the football talent assessment acumen of GMs, Scouts and Coaches who see these, and all players every day over the armchair fan.

Face reality folks - the NFL has spoken. Brian Urlacher, like every other player in the NFL before him, got hurt and old and his services were no longer needed. Period. Move on.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I would blow my load if he came back to the bears.

Even if he was only a 2 down LB. I don't give a fuck. I would love it. Cause ima fan. And when the bears win the SB, it would be the greatest story.

This is why fans aren't GMs.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
you seem awfully wound up this morning. How did you sleep, friend?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
You mean around meathead fans?

Around the NFL, Url was respected as a craftsman.

Really? On the contrary, I recall Urlacher being voted as the most overrated player in the league by his peers - you know, 'around the league'.

As for meatheads, sorry dude but wanting an unwanted 36 year old player who is old, slow and hurt (and has been out of football for going on 1.5 years) because 'ima fan' is the mothership of 'meathead'.