Apparently DJ Williams didn't want or wasn't expecting to compete

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
From the article he is quoted as saying he didn't understand that Shea was moving to linebacker and that if he kne he likely would have looked at other situations more closely. Why this guy is even remotely thinking he is in a position to NOT have to compete for a spot? What planet does he live on where he doesn't have to compete? Sure maybe he's taking it in stride but dude your ego is too big to think you would go somewhere else potentially and not have to compete. You were never that good.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/07...asnt-completely-explained-during-free-agency/

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
“I’m coming here to fight it out, duke it out,” Williams said

Williams is also handling the situation like a pro.

sXXfc.gif

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Please paste the article so we can reduce rage-without-reading syndrome

Report: Bears Williams Says LB Situation Wasn’t Completely Explained During Free Agency

187432918-e1405975140321.jpg

(CBS) Of all the positional groups on the Bears, the linebacking corps are most unsettled heading into training camp. Three players are battling for two open spots, and no one’s sure how it will play out.

Including a man in the mix, D.J. Williams, who didn’t initially understand the Bears’ vision for competition breeding success. Williams told CSNChicago.com that he didn’t receive full details of the linebacker competition when he signed a one-year contract in the spring that could be worth $1.5 million, apparently expressing surprise at Shea McClellin’s new role as a full-time linebacker.

That switch has helped create a battle at middle linebacker between Williams and second-year pro Jon Bostic, who is also battling for time at strong-side linebacker with McClellin. Lance Briggs will man the weak-side linebacker spot.

While admitting he “might have looked at other situations” more closely in free agency if he knew what he knows now, Williams is also handling the situation like a pro. It’s his job to be one of the three best, and that’s what he plans on doing.

“I’m coming here to fight it out, duke it out,” Williams said, according to CSNChicago.com.

“Personally, I feel like I’m one of the three best linebackers on this team, and if I’m healthy, stay focused, do everything I’m supposed to do, I should be in there.”

Williams missed the final 10 games of last year with a pectoral injury.

The Bears open training camp Friday in Bourbonnais.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
He'll win it. Not even worried. LOL at Bostic receiving praise as being this years starter at MLB then tho he was horrible last year. People make excuses for his performance with injuries and shit surrounding players; but continue to dog conte. No logic.

Williams wins.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is all good. All I want is open competition for 2 of the linebacker positions, as well as the back up for Briggs. I also am hoping that our defensive staff is looking at this very open minded and that they have the ability to make the proper decisions. It looks like this process, so far , is going along well.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
“I’m coming here to fight it out, duke it out,” Williams said

Williams is also handling the situation like a pro.

sXXfc.gif

No shit and the tone of my post reflects that quote. That is unless you don't understand what the word remotely means?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He'll win it. Not even worried. LOL at Bostic receiving praise as being this years starter at MLB then tho he was horrible last year. People make excuses for his performance with injuries and shit surrounding players; but continue to dog conte. No logic.

Williams wins.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Bostic can and most likely will improve. That's never happened in the history of the NFL, improving after your rookie year. You are the biggest fuckin Williams homer on this board and you overrate him DRASTICALLY! You think he's a lot better than he really is.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I hope that Shea actually WINS the position and makes despbro sell his Williams stock for a small loss and Biff eat his own asshole. You guys really crack me up sometimes. If your players don't start or get cut, you wanna chase them on some other team. Muthafakin BEARS. That's what this shit is about. BEARS.

BURP.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:

Williams wins.

Exactly. Logic is on vacation at times and the excuses......just wow. If you grade out as one of the worst in the NFL and take wrong angles, blow assignments, miss tackles, drop picks...etc. you really can't blame others too much. It's on film. The best man will win...and that is D.J.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I mean it's not like Bostic can and most likely will improve. That's never happened in the history of the NFL, improving after your rookie year. You are the biggest fuckin Williams homer on this board and you overrate him DRASTICALLY! You think he's a lot better than he really is.

I like D.J. too and his best years are behind him but you have to acknowledge that Bostic graded out horribly last year while other rookie lbs were freaking studs on some bad teams. It's on film....he was soo bad. I really liked Bostic too but he needs to be on the bench for a little longer

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All I can say for the people that have DJ starting this season is, if someone else starts will you be butthurt about it? WIll you donate to a Fire Trestman Billboard? Or will you recognize the superior analysis of the coaches that make that decision? Also, do you think that DJ makes it through an entire season?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
This is the root article http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/dj-williams-i’m-one-three-best-lbs-bears
D.J. Williams felt like the full details of the competition and linebacker situation weren’t adequately laid out for him, including the move of Shea McClellin to linebacker, or he may have pursued other options a little more ambitiously before agreeing to a one-year Bears deal that can max out at $1.5 million with various bonuses.

“There were teams that were interested; I might have looked at other situations,” Williams told CSNChicago.com. “But I’m coming here to fight it out, duke it out.”
I can understand picking a team based on whether you're very likely to be contested for a starting position or not. But Bostic is a 2nd round pick, who played 16 games at MLB last year (57 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 TFL). How could Williams assume he wouldn't compete with Bostic for MLB? DJ cites Shea's move, but Shea is competing for SLB, primarily, not MLB. So I'm guessing DJ thought Bostic would start SLB when Anderson was dropped. But so what... still, kinda weird for Williams to be saying this stuff.

If Bostic does win the starting job, Williams theoretically could be tasked with duty on some special teams, as backup linebackers, defensive backs and several other position groups are. Or Bostic could be assigned to special teams, where he collected three solo tackles last season.

“I’m competing for a starting job,” Williams said. “I’m not here play special teams. I’m not here to sit on the bench. It’s just day-in, day-out, a grind. There’s the numbers game, the money game, different ‘games.’ But at the end, whoever puts the best product on the field will be there.

“I’m not a special-teams player. I don’t even think at this point like I would be a good special-teams player. It’s huge difference, different mindset, a lot of sitting around 10-15 minutes waiting. I don’t know how good I would be at it.”
Different attitude than Charles Tillman who volunteered for Special Teams. Williams must really be feeling the pressure to be talking so negatively.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the root article http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/dj-williams-i’m-one-three-best-lbs-bears

I can understand picking a team based on whether you're very likely to be contested for a starting position or not. But Bostic is a 2nd round pick, who played 16 games at MLB last year (57 tackles, 2 sacks, 4 TFL). How could Williams assume he wouldn't compete with Bostic for MLB? DJ cites Shea's move, but Shea is competing for SLB, primarily, not MLB. So I'm guessing DJ thought Bostic would start SLB when Anderson was dropped. But so what... still, kinda weird for Williams to be saying this stuff.

Different attitude than Charles Tillman who volunteered for Special Teams. Williams must really be feeling the pressure to be talking so negatively.
Wow. Just wow.

Nice team spirit.