6. Northwestern Wildcats
Current cap at 24:
19 current
New York City FC
Orlando City SC
Atlanta
Miami
One blank

Can't see how Minneapolis-St. Paul, Sacramento, Indianapolis, St. Louis, San Antonio don't eventually make it in.

How many teams will we get up to?

Bear06

Liked Posts:
MLS needs to stick with 24 teams for a while once Miami and another city gets confirmed, then in the next decade they should add a few teams depending on how things go.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think 24 is a good number to lock onto for about 5-7 years.

Also, a team needs to come to the Midwest.

And third. I think they should change the schedule. They should have the final sometime in August right before football and other fall sports start and baseball heats up.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Current cap at 24:
19 current
New York City FC
Orlando City SC
Atlanta
Miami
One blank

Can't see how Minneapolis-St. Paul, Sacramento, Indianapolis, St. Louis, San Antonio don't eventually make it in.

How many teams will we get up to?

screw the cap. Soccer is a totally different animal. Bottom line, it would be stupid to deny a team into the league if they have the fan base. The too many teams argument does not hold much weight if there are no teams present to compete in their respective city or regions.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
screw the cap. Soccer is a totally different animal. Bottom line, it would be stupid to deny a team into the league if they have the fan base. The too many teams argument does not hold much weight if there are no teams present to compete in their respective city or regions.

Too many teams would affect scheduling though. It wouldn't let the league do a home and away series without being too taxing on players. There should be a cap, as long as all the regions of the US are adequately covered by teams would good fan support. 24 won't be enough for that.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Too many teams would affect scheduling though. It wouldn't let the league do a home and away series without being too taxing on players. There should be a cap, as long as all the regions of the US are adequately covered by teams would good fan support. 24 won't be enough for that.

Also too many MLS expansion teams will dilute the talent.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
I think 24 is a good number to lock onto for about 5-7 years.

Also, a team needs to come to the Midwest.

And third. I think they should change the schedule. They should have the final sometime in August right before football and other fall sports start and baseball heats up.

Moving the Final in August isn't a good idea because soccer has a really short offseason compared to American sports, meaning the new season would start around December.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Moving the Final in August isn't a good idea because soccer has a really short offseason compared to American sports, meaning the new season would start around December.

Then I would shorten the season. And risk it by even having to extend the offseason. But I think the benefit of owning the summer months is greater than the alternative. Compact the season and fit it in during the summer months when it can maximize its viewers of casual fans looking for something to watch in the dog days of summer.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Then I would shorten the season. And risk it by even having to extend the offseason. But I think the benefit of owning the summer months is greater than the alternative. Compact the season and fit it in during the summer months when it can maximize its viewers of casual fans looking for something to watch in the dog days of summer.

It's the opposite of what the USSF have been asking MLS to do which is to shorten the offseason as much as possible. Players in the USA need to play more not less and it's something the U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann has strongly advised.

Moving the final to August and shortening the season so it won't interfere with American football and baseball is not going to make more people watch the MLS, it's signing more exciting quality players like David Villa, Kaka, etc and improving the product on the field that will make more people watch MLS.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's the opposite of what the USSF have been asking MLS to do which is to shorten the offseason as much as possible. Players in the USA need to play more not less and it's something the U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann has strongly advised.

Moving the final to August and shortening the season so it won't interfere with American football and baseball is not going to make more people watch the MLS, it's signing more exciting quality players like David Villa, Kaka, etc and improving the product on the field that will make more people watch MLS.

It may not make more people watch, but I think it might make the MLS final more relevant. Because right now, the final game of the year, their biggest showpiece is on a Sunday night in the middle of fall and goes up against baseball playoffs, basketball, hockey, and Sunday night football. To which the result is who gives a shit.

We will watch, die hard soccer fans make some time for it. I try, but can't deny that at that time the MLS final is easily forgotten. And for the average Joe, they could care less.

Maybe the middle ground would be the MLS doing their schedule like the Scandinavian countries, and throwing in a long winter break. I don't know, I'm not too fussed by it. I watch MLS so I'm not too fussed over all if this. I've always thought tho, that they should have signed a deal with the NASL, and have a promotion and relegation system, and just have home and away fixture list and call it a day.

The only thing I disagree with you with is the exciting players part. Nobody cares about these dudes in their twilight. Ricky Kaka has not been good since 09. I want them to sign decent foreign star players in their prime. That's progress, that would be awesome, because right now, the MLS rep is still the place to go to retire. As Ashley Cole just said, he had offers from America, but he isn't ready to vacation on a beach yet.

Bear06

Liked Posts:
It may not make more people watch, but I think it might make the MLS final more relevant. Because right now, the final game of the year, their biggest showpiece is on a Sunday night in the middle of fall and goes up against baseball playoffs, basketball, hockey, and Sunday night football. To which the result is who gives a shit.

We will watch, die hard soccer fans make some time for it. I try, but can't deny that at that time the MLS final is easily forgotten. And for the average Joe, they could care less.

Maybe the middle ground would be the MLS doing their schedule like the Scandinavian countries, and throwing in a long winter break. I don't know, I'm not too fussed by it. I watch MLS so I'm not too fussed over all if this. I've always thought tho, that they should have signed a deal with the NASL, and have a promotion and relegation system, and just have home and away fixture list and call it a day.

The only thing I disagree with you with is the exciting players part. Nobody cares about these dudes in their twilight. Ricky Kaka has not been good since 09. I want them to sign decent foreign star players in their prime. That's progress, that would be awesome, because right now, the MLS rep is still the place to go to retire. As Ashley Cole just said, he had offers from America, but he isn't ready to vacation on a beach yet.

It's better to sign players like Kaka (Was decent last season for AC Milan), David Villa, etc who are big names and are not too old (32) than signing mediocre/average central american players who nobody has heard of.

When Blanco played for the Fire he brought a lot of butts to the seats but it's been downhill since he left. Hauptman needs to start giving a damn about the team which has a lot of potential in a big city market like Chicago.

diavolos

Liked Posts:

i personally think mls needs to go to a september-may schedule, with maybe a long january break. but i don't know if they'll ever do that now that the season has been established. it just makes more sense than the current schedule.

Reactions: 1ke

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
I've changed my stance on this, I think it's possible for the MLS to eventually (and not anytime soon) have 30/32 teams like the rest of the major American leagues. Have two conferences and play each team in your conference twice, then play each team from the other conference once alternating home and away every season. It's not balanced, but it's doable. Growth would have to be slow to not dilute the product though.