Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
. The point is for the Cubs is that results have to show. Alacantra looks like he can play. Rizzo is playing better than I ever thought he would. Soler will be up this year, Baez and Bryant will be next year at the latest. 2016, Theo will have 5 full offseasons under his belt. It will be hard to justify more losing and selling of MLB assets for more prospects.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
All but two of the 10 teams went on to make the playoffs, the Cleveland Indians (1970-1975), an organization known for mismanagement during that era, and the Kansas City Royals (1997-2003),

This is straight from the article and is clearly another way of saying that losing doesn't guarantee success.

Wut? Your quote says 8 outa 10 teams made the playoffs, and of the two that didn't, one was known for mismanagement. How is this a bad thing?

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
No I realize that this is a pointless exercise engaging with him and others of ilk in these type of discussions. I didn't post the article specifically for him though, and I found it very interesting to see the almost immediate results teams have experienced following drafting that high for that long.

Of course the ilk doesn't follow the article. The article is fact, and offers some sort of idea what to expect.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
. The point is for the Cubs is that results have to show. Alacantra looks like he can play. Rizzo is playing better than I ever thought he would. Soler will be up this year, Baez and Bryant will be next year at the latest. 2016, Theo will have 5 full offseasons under his belt. It will be hard to justify more losing and selling of MLB assets for more prospects.

And in 5 years if we're still losing and bringing up the cellar, I might agree. But what about all the bitching so far and until then? :shrug:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How many teams have won more than one WS in the past 25 years?

Yankees with a dominant stretch and another later, of course.

Cards with 2 - in years not at all their best years, BTW.
SF (somehow)

Anyone else?

Am I missing someone obvious?

Red Sox and Blue Jays.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All but two of the 10 teams went on to make the playoffs, the Cleveland Indians (1970-1975), an organization known for mismanagement during that era, and the Kansas City Royals (1997-2003),

This is straight from the article and is clearly another way of saying that losing doesn't guarantee success.

you have to realize that no matter what the cubs do fans will agree with it. no matter what has happened in the past with other teams has no influence on whether the cubs will do the same. its a false sense of security for some fans. just relax

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Your absolutely right....

In fact if their not adding a few long term players ( mainly pitching) this off season, which would be no. 4 and does any flipping next deadline it will be hard to justify what he doing.

I fully expect to have at least 6 position players settled in at some point next season for most of the year in ..
Castillo. Rizzo. Baez. Castro. Soler. and Alcantara

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
you have to realize that no matter what the cubs do fans will agree with it. no matter what has happened in the past with other teams has no influence on whether the cubs will do the same. its a false sense of security for some fans. just relax

LOLWUT? All you guys talk about is the past.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Hey fisch? LOL. What will the Cubs have to sell? They have traded away all of their assets.

The only other one I can see is Castro and I am sure they would try and net pitching for him, and if he goes, that would mean Baez or Russell would be taking over at SS. :parrot:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey fisch? LOL. What will the Cubs have to sell? They have traded away all of their assets.

The only other one I can see is Castro and I am sure they would try and net pitching for him, and if he goes, that would mean Baez or Russell would be taking over at SS. :parrot:

I think that Russell is definitely the SS of the future for the Cubs. I wonder if we could see the Cubs trading Castro for pitching at the deadline next year. Then bringing up Russell to play SS with Baez at 2nd and Bryant at 3rd. If you put Castro at 3rd, his bat is just ehh. Baez seems to be the guy at 2nd for us, so I am not going to go into that. If we keep Castro and he or Russell move to 3rd, I think the common thinking is put Bryant in RF. But that seems to be Soler's place to play for the foreseeable future. So then does Bryant go to LF? Then what happens when Schwarber and Almora come up?

I can't wait to see these questions answers.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I think that Russell is definitely the SS of the future for the Cubs. I wonder if we could see the Cubs trading Castro for pitching at the deadline next year. Then bringing up Russell to play SS with Baez at 2nd and Bryant at 3rd. If you put Castro at 3rd, his bat is just ehh. Baez seems to be the guy at 2nd for us, so I am not going to go into that. If we keep Castro and he or Russell move to 3rd, I think the common thinking is put Bryant in RF. But that seems to be Soler's place to play for the foreseeable future. So then does Bryant go to LF? Then what happens when Schwarber and Almora come up?

I can't wait to see these questions answers.

I think it's safe to say that the Cubs will trade some of these guys out, but it's good to have inventory to make decisions with, and you can never have too much of it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
God I'm tired of this endless debate. It's always a black and white conversation where one side says losing is the way and the other side bashes the cubs for being losers. The world isn't black and white, rather gray. Even with an amazing farm system the cubs are quite unlikely to be the '27 yankees. They're also unlikely to be what they are now. If you want a realistic look at where they will be look to the current Royals team since in 2010 they had "the greatest farm system ever." Those royals currently sit 52-50 and have been a fringe playoff team the past two years. You can make a valid argument that the cubs will have more payroll flexibility and should be at the very least slightly better given the Royals had to trade away 3 of their top prospects to get Shields.

Is that all that bad? I mean yeah you'd hope after all these losses that the end return is a title. But that royals team is likely to have a 5-10 year run of at least this level of success. Some years will be better than others and if they get the other right pieces to go along with it they could have a special season. Look no farther than the mid-2000's white soxs to see what I mean. For the first 4 years of the decade they were a slightly above .500 team. In 2005, they got the right parts and it lead them to a title. In 2006 they also won 90 games but didn't do enough to win the title or even make the playoffs.

The game isn't about having the best player at every position. It's about giving yourself enough of a base that you're in position to win if the cards fall right. At the end of the day, they have set themselves up with a lot of chances at a very solid base of players. People can suggest that you could do the same thing buying FAs but does that really work any better? The yankees have spent how many countless millions of dollars to be a whole 2 games up on the Royals. Perhaps you can make the argument that the Yankees can retool quicker via FA than the Royals who languished in mediocrity for years but that also assumes a level playing field in terms of money. And if the Tanaka situation shows us anything, even if the cubs outbid 28 other teams if the Yankees want a player they have deeper pockets. And if you need one specific player in FA to win and the Yankees want him you're screwed. As such, building largely via FA is a fools errand.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Don't worry...I'm sure they'd sell Rizzo if they got 3 top 3 prospects for him :fap:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If you think they would trade Rizzo for any reason I have a bridge to sell you.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I didnt know 80% odds was a false sense of security? :shrug:

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This is a great piece. The Cubs are also in a new era where hitting on prospects is much easier, and they will have a much more expanded payroll.

The numbers are on Theo's side, the haters only have emotion and empty rhetoric in their arguments against him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
How much?

:cubstroll:

$100 Billion Dollars