Prolonged Losing Leading to Success?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. Even Theo said himself that after trading Shark, was most likely the last time the Cubs will be "sellers".

lol. and you buy that? this means that all specs called up next season will pan out, and all of a sudden you would have a solid 5 man rotation. there is a lot of what ifs there.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
lol. and you buy that? this means that all specs called up next season will pan out, and all of a sudden you would have a solid 5 man rotation. there is a lot of what ifs there.

I would think they are going to invest this off season. I've heard Theo say in a perfect world they would never sign F/A's but use the farm to gain talent. Trade or let them play. But we do not live in a perfect world.

I take it as they are close with the talent that they have been building and are going to start moving into phase 2 of adding around them.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Welcome to the big bad world big fella. Are the Cubs supposed to just lay down cuz you don't like them, and think that ALL the kids are gonna suck? How did it escalate to thinking that everyone's gonna be a sure thing?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welcome to the big bad world big fella. Are the Cubs supposed to just lay down cuz you don't like them, and think that ALL the kids are gonna suck? How did it escalate to thinking that everyone's gonna be a sure thing?

yes thats it, they are going to lay down because i dont like them. :rolleyes: how is that even a response?

in order to not be sellers next year as i have stated already once if you can read is that basically all the specs would have to pan out and theo would have to build a rotation..all in one offseason. you have one starter and he is not an ace, you will need 4 starters, 3 only if they keep mr 100 pitches by the 4th inning while only really doing all of it by way of free agency. it isnt like you have a lot to trade to put back into the farm once the kids are up. too many holes in too little time. add the fact that the division they are in is just...well.,.pretty good. but if you like fools gold have at it.

also for the record i really have no emotions one way or the other with the cubs. there just happens to be 2 teams in this city so its easier to talk about. if there are other teams you want to discuss id be glad to talk about those teams as well as i love baseball.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
yes thats it, they are going to lay down because i dont like them. :rolleyes: how is that even a response?

in order to not be sellers next year as i have stated already once if you can read is that basically all the specs would have to pan out and theo would have to build a rotation..all in one offseason. you have one starter and he is not an ace, you will need 4 starters, 3 only if they keep mr 100 pitches by the 4th inning while only really doing all of it by way of free agency. it isnt like you have a lot to trade to put back into the farm once the kids are up. too many holes in too little time. add the fact that the division they are in is just...well.,.pretty good. but if you like fools gold have at it.

also for the record i really have no emotions one way or the other with the cubs. there just happens to be 2 teams in this city so its easier to talk about. if there are other teams you want to discuss id be glad to talk about those teams as well as i love baseball.

Why does Theo have to build the entire rotation in one off season? Why wouldn't drafting the top prospect this draft (as I've suggested), signing a FA pitcher, and maybe trading for another be a good start. It seems you either black or white with no in between to me.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why does Theo have to build the entire rotation in one off season? Why wouldn't drafting the top prospect this draft (as I've suggested), signing a FA pitcher, and maybe trading for another be a good start. It seems you either black or white with no in between to me.

they can do that sure in whatever phase you want to call it that the rebuilding is in but even with all of that, whatever mlb players that are left or bought low in the offseason they still will be sellers next year as this is the whole point of this debate. theo saying they wont be sellers next year. it isnt realistic

chibears55

Liked Posts:
they can do that sure in whatever phase you want to call it that the rebuilding is in but even with all of that, whatever mlb players that are left or bought low in the offseason they still will be sellers next year as this is the whole point of this debate. theo saying they wont be sellers next year. it isnt realistic
Lol.. whatt theo was saying is their not going to be going into next year trade deadline looking to flip players or move players for the sake of moving them and just getting prospects in return. That being sellers only at deadline. ..

of course during off season or during season if there a trade that could be made to better the team he will attempt to make it..

diavolos

Liked Posts:
Your comprehension isn't good I see. I DID say that the Cubs would be better next year....didn't I? And compete the following year. And that would start with signing some pitching, right? The Cubs should have quite a bit more money to spend with the new TV deal, right? It's nice to see I have another bitch following me around, however.

wow. because to you success is "compete", to me success is "world series". which is another way of saying i've got peanuts in my shit that are smarter than you are.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
wow. because to you success is "compete", to me success is "world series". which is another way of saying i've got peanuts in my shit that are smarter than you are.

You follow the wrong team.

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk

diavolos

Liked Posts:
He doesnt follow them

because having season tickets for over a decade doesn't count as a 'real fan'. or because i started going to wrigley before you were even born, that also doesn't classify as a 'real fan'. do you even know what wrigleyville looked like in the 70's? hint, it was nothing like it is now.

no, the problem that you and the others have is that some of us don't drink the kool aid. some of us 'real fans' want a world series, not 'compete' or 'rebuild'.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
because having season tickets for over a decade doesn't count as a 'real fan'. or because i started going to wrigley before you were even born, that also doesn't classify as a 'real fan'. do you even know what wrigleyville looked like in the 70's? hint, it was nothing like it is now.

no, the problem that you and the others have is that some of us don't drink the kool aid. some of us 'real fans' want a world series, not 'compete' or 'rebuild'.

Well, the past 40 years must have been awesome with all the World Series we have made.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

So, you've followed a team that hasn't had "success" since 1908, and hasn't been to a world series since 1945? Then complain about rebuilding NOW of all times after we got swept out of the Playoffs trying to compete? But competing isn't good enough, winning is... make up your mind.

diavolos

Liked Posts:
So, you've followed a team that hasn't had "success" since 1908, and hasn't been to a world series since 1945? Then complain about rebuilding NOW of all times after we got swept out of the Playoffs trying to compete? But competing isn't good enough, winning is... make up your mind.

i find it interesting that as soon as a real cubs fan starts talking world series then all the mocking starts on this board.

yes, they made the playoffs in 1998, 2003, 2008, 2009. you can't win a world series unless you make the playoffs. keep it going. keep spending money, trying to win. this is what winners do. the cardinals won a world series only winning 83 games in a season, the very definition of mediocrity. don't blow everything up hoping that you'll suck bad enough to get enough prospects. yes of course, build up your farm system. but to stop spending money altogether? to go out and hire loser managers to manage a disaster? we went from dusty baker and lou to quade and dale sveum? seriously? that's just a loser mentality--which you guys have plenty of. every season is precious, indeed.

the yankees, giants, dodgers and the cardinals--you know the teams we're all hoping to emulate--never throw seasons away, ever. we're going on three, add next year, four.

yes, i do root for the most wretched team in baseball. that's just the way it is. mock me all you want, but to me success is actually a world series. that doesn't mean the cubs should stop trying altogether.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
i find it interesting that as soon as a real cubs fan starts talking world series then all the mocking starts on this board.

yes, they made the playoffs in 1998, 2003, 2008, 2009. you can't win a world series unless you make the playoffs. keep it going. keep spending money, trying to win. this is what winners do. the cardinals won a world series only winning 83 games in a season, the very definition of mediocrity. don't blow everything up hoping that you'll suck bad enough to get enough prospects. yes of course, build up your farm system. but to stop spending money altogether? to go out and hire loser managers to manage a disaster? we went from dusty baker and lou to quade and dale sveum? seriously? that's just a loser mentality--which you guys have plenty of. every season is precious, indeed.

the yankees, giants, dodgers and the cardinals--you know the teams we're all hoping to emulate--never throw seasons away, ever. we're going on three, add next year, four.

yes, i do root for the most wretched team in baseball. that's just the way it is. mock me all you want, but to me success is actually a world series. that doesn't mean the cubs should stop trying altogether.

You stated competing isn't good enough, winning is. We competed and didn't win. So again, you follow the wrong team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You stated competing isn't good enough, winning is. We competed and didn't win. So again, you follow the wrong team.
Let alone the Giants, who he mentions as being winners and never tanking, had win totals in the lower to mid 70's from 2005-2008. That would have nothing to do with them winning now.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I'm not smart cuz I think the Cubs need to become competitive before they win the WS? I'd say I'm being realistic. The first step to me is fielding a competitive ball club. Right now, obviously, they're not.

I've suggested that bringing up a few of their highly touted prospects, as well as acquiring some pitching this off season would be a good start, imo. I don't see the Cubs magically becoming a WS team over night, and if you do, I suggest you don't throw terms like "real Cubs fan" around too much.

You sir, are the type of Cubs fan that these DBag Sox fans like to make fun of.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

with any sport i watch....its championship or bust. making it to the WS and losing in the WS is no different than any of the teams that didnt make the playoffs.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Being sellers and being a WS caliber team are two different things.

I think that 2016 is when we will be playoff caliber, next year, if we are .500 I'll be happy. This offseason, Theo is going to go out and sign some FAs. I don't know who he will sign, but there's a chance that a Feldman, Hammel type will be in there. Maybe we'll sign a Lester/Scherzer. If we sign a Lester/Scherzer, we're not going to trade them 1/2 season into their contract. The Feldman/Hammel type certainly would seem likely to go, unless we're in a playoff push. However, I don't think trading 1 pitcher like that makes you a seller, because I think it's plausible that the Cubs could do something like that even in times of success. Sign a guy as a 5 pitcher, he performs like a 3, trade him, and call up someone from AAA. But for the sake of argument, let's say that the Hammel/Feldman type is dealt. Who else would we deal? Maybe a Ruggino or Coghlan if they're still around? I just don't see many pieces that the Cubs would deal at the deadline next year.