Prolonged Losing Leading to Success?

diavolos

Liked Posts:
I think I'm going to have fun in a year from now with all the bitches!

we're all waiting with bated breath for when bear pride will sock it to us. but you keep moving your timeline up. used to be 2016 when the cubs would "compete". now it's 2015?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I dont believe that. There everyday players are going to be set by May. If they are not, then the Cubs are being cheap with Super 2. The Cubs have to make a push. You didnt re sign Shark. You dropped 52 million on Jackson that you are trying to eat and your payroll is almost nothing next year. The Cubs have to get one of them. I also believe they will sign a middle of the road pitcher. The Cubs have to make their push now. FA is pretty weak for the next couple of years. There are some big names, but almost 99% of those big names will never see FA. I do think the Cubs trade for another top pitcher but that comes later. They realistcally have like 50 to 60 million to spend easily and would still be under 100 million. They get a new TV contract and they were broke off that 20 something million the whole league recieves that in no way spent last year. There is absolutely no reason not to land one of them. Masterson I dont want though.
Not resigning shark should be the first sign of them not looking to drop big money on a TOR starter right away..

Lester may be the only one they seriously try for and have a legit chance of getting without over paying because of their ties but the other top starters I believe will look at contenders first with money being equal unless cubs grossly overpay.

I just think they want to see how this young group play on mlb level first before they commit to TOR money, don't want to risk wasting first couple years of contract which is why I believe they didn't keep samardzija by giving him 20 mil he was looking for.

I think this off season they will look at mid rotation type to fill the void.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What does "TOR starter" mean?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not resigning shark should be the first sign of them not looking to drop big money on a TOR starter right away..

Lester may be the only one they seriously try for and have a legit chance of getting without over paying because of their ties but the other top starters I believe will look at contenders first with money being equal unless cubs grossly overpay.

I just think they want to see how this young group play on mlb level first before they commit to TOR money, don't want to risk wasting first couple years of contract which is why I believe they didn't keep samardzija by giving him 20 mil he was looking for.

I think this off season they will look at mid rotation type to fill the void.

So, everything the Cubs have done has led up to next year. The money and prospects all line up, but we wait until we know if our players make it. No, to not go after a big name this offseason would be straight ripping off the fans. Getting a TOR starter is never money wasted even if the Cubs are just average this year. You dont want to bring your prospects up and say hey we are going to fucking suck this year because we want to make sure yall are good first. The Cubs unloaded pitching and now they have to reload it. It is the only reason that make sense for unloading Shark.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So, everything the Cubs have done has led up to next year. The money and prospects all line up, but we wait until we know if our players make it. No, to not go after a big name this offseason would be straight ripping off the fans. Getting a TOR starter is never money wasted even if the Cubs are just average this year. You dont want to bring your prospects up and say hey we are going to fucking suck this year because we want to make sure yall are good first. The Cubs unloaded pitching and now they have to reload it. It is the only reason that make sense for unloading Shark.

so adding a couple of 3 type starters to go with arrieta, wood, and maybe Hendricks would tell the team their not looking to win ?
getting Jackson out of rotation would show them that :shrug:

who do you think they would get or try to and would legitimately consider signing with them if money somewhat equal ?

billingsley 31 missing season with elbow surgery team option of 14 MIL.. prob. returns to dodgers

cueto 29 10 mil team option with reds most likely returning

scherzer 31 will definitely be looking for at least 5 yrs 125.. id take him, but I just think being his last big contract he would look for an instant contender over a very young team. cubs would prob. have to grossly over pay to lure him...

jon lester 31 I think if anyone because of ties he would possibly consider joining them without making them over pay, but he want to return to redsox

I don't know if I missed anyone that might be considered TOR starter but its a very short list of 2 maybe 4 if options aren't picked up on the other 2 and IMO unless he returns to Boston I think they only have a legit shot at 1 if he willing to pitch for a very young team over an immediate contender..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I believe Lester could be had. BO-Sox haven't re-signed yet and is a mistake. Cubs 1st pick should be protected so Lester and losing a 2nd round pick is a fair loss.

They would be in the same situation waiting for Price next year and there is no guarantee that the Rays will not off load him in the offseason and he extends with that team.

They need to take the off season more serious. At min I would accept Masterson added as a 2 behind Arrieta and push Jackson back to the #5. If they are competitive then add a TOR or use a deal centered around Castro to net a top pitching prospect that is close.

Something like that is acceptable. It is not what they should be spending but I can see a 2007 up coming if the cards fall (pun intended) in the right places

diavolos

Liked Posts:
so adding a couple of 3 type starters to go with arrieta, wood, and maybe Hendricks would tell the team their not looking to win ?
getting Jackson out of rotation would so them that :shrug:

who do you think they would get or try to and would legitimately consider signing with them if money somewhat equal ?

billingsley 31 missing season with elbow surgery team option of 14 MIL.. prob. returns to dodgers

cueto 29 10 mil team option with reds most likely returning

scherzer 31 will definitely be looking for at least 5 yrs 125.. id take him, but I just think being his last big contract he would look for an instant contender over a very young team. cubs would prob. have to grossly over pay to lure him...

jon lester 31 I think if anyone because of ties he would possibly consider joining them without making them over pay, but he want to return to redsox

I don't know if I missed anyone that might be considered TOR starter but its a very short list of 2 maybe 4 if options aren't picked up on the other 2 and IMO unless he returns to Boston I think they only have a legit shot at 1 if he willing to pitch for a very young team over an immediate contender..

unfortunately, they're probably going to have to overpay. but until someone from the system is ready to be a starter, then they'll just have to. there's probably going to be some trades of lesser talent, unless they can land someone big. the thing is they're going to have to do it with offense and hope they have just enough pitching. the cubs need a certain type of pitcher that understands the advantages and limitations of his own park. they can probably get away with not having the best staff in the world if all the predictions of this offense hold true.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Shark is not a TOR pitcher in my eyes yet.
2. moving Jackson to the BP is a pretty good idea at this point.
3. If we can sign Lester, or Price next year, or even both. There is the TOR we need.
4. We have one of the greatest hitting pools of prospects ever seen in the minors, and some are expendable, we can go out and buy one.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
1. Shark is not a TOR pitcher in my eyes yet.
2. moving Jackson to the BP is a pretty good idea at this point.
3. If we can sign Lester, or Price next year, or even both. There is the TOR we need.
4. We have one of the greatest hitting pools of prospects ever seen in the minors, and some are expendable, we can go out and buy one.

You do realize however that to land Price, it will damage the hitting pool?

Lester? The Cubs will have to outbid the Yankees, Angels, and Dodgers at the very least. Not good on either count.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Lester? The Cubs will have to outbid the Yankees, Angels, and Dodgers at the very least. Not good on either count.

I think that you will see teams like the Dodgers and Yankees start to spend less. I know that this year the Yankees are being taxed at a rate of 50%, so they are paying nearly 300 million to miss the playoffs this year, assuming that they do miss the playoffs. The Dodgers aren't to the 50% rate yet, but I think that in two years they will be. The Dodgers also have a ton of horrible contracts in Crawford, Kemp, and somewhat Adrian Gonzalez. I could be wrong, but I really don't expect this outrageous spending to continue.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:

#4.

sent from Jimmer range using Tapatalk

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
we're all waiting with bated breath for when bear pride will sock it to us. but you keep moving your timeline up. used to be 2016 when the cubs would "compete". now it's 2015?

Your comprehension isn't good I see. I DID say that the Cubs would be better next year....didn't I? And compete the following year. And that would start with signing some pitching, right? The Cubs should have quite a bit more money to spend with the new TV deal, right? It's nice to see I have another bitch following me around, however.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
The Cubs have been pretty vocal about taking what they think is the best player in the draft. Now if it happens to be a pitcher, then it will happen. They have taken 4 positional players in a row, and three of those, or the last three have been during Theo's administration.

Right, which is why I think they might go pitching with the last rebuilding draft. That, to me, would be the next step for the Cubs. I will be disappointed if we're looking at a high pick again the following year. Imo, this is the last 'full tank' year.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I agree. Even Theo said himself that after trading Shark, was most likely the last time the Cubs will be "sellers".

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

You don't the fact that Theo has stockpiled hitting is a reason it could be used in a trade for pitching? I think the Cubs will have that Luxury, myself. Why else would he do that?