Prolonged Losing Leading to Success?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Good start. Pitched well all day. Kid looks like he could be a TOR kinda pitcher one day.

Except if he puts together one more quality start before the trade deadline, Theo will probably jettison him.
Lol

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I think they might have one in Arrieta

I am hoping that he becomes that diamond in the rough that other teams seemingly find a way to get. I would feel a lot better about the rotation if he were in the 3-hole versus right now, being the staff ACE.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am hoping that he becomes that diamond in the rough that other teams seemingly find a way to get. I would feel a lot better about the rotation if he were in the 3-hole versus right now, being the staff ACE.
No debate there really

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Good start. Pitched well all day. Kid looks like he could be a TOR kinda pitcher one day.

Except if he puts together one more quality start before the trade deadline, Theo will probably jettison him.

I think he will be a cheap version of an innings eater at the back end of the rotation. Not that it's a bad thing because you need them, but Hendricks at 500k seems a lot better than E-Jax at 11 million per year. Not to mention that I feel more comfortable with Hendricks at this point. Of course with the way both are pitching, who shouldn't?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Not that it's a bad thing because you need them, but Hendricks at 500k seems a lot better than E-Jax at 11 million per year

It's players like Jackson that make me wish the MLB would institute the amnesty rule.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's players like Jackson that make me wish the MLB would institute the amnesty rule.
Or the club can figure out other options with Jackson. I find CSF77's comments about making him long relief of interest. While it isn't a role worth the price tag, if he would perform well in that role, it helps the club, and he possibly becomes tradable, too. It seems like a win-win for all parties.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
True, but it gets tiring as if people seem to act like this team has had some rich tradition of winning. I have experienced in my lifetime 90 loss seasons over twice as frequently as 90 win seasons, but this is the last straw? C'mon, I figured the discussion would devolve into the usual crap, but it was too interesting of an article to not share by the clearly kool-aid drinking publication Baseball America.

I never will understand what the past 100 years has to do with the past 3 years? :shrug:

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I think they might have one in Arrieta

And maybe another in Hendricks .... The last thing in the Cubs rebuild will be finally spending some money. I fail to realize why you don't accept that? The Cubs will be stacked with positional players that can hit!

There will be a couple/few pitchers that emerge. Then, when it's time to spend money, like maybe next year after the new TV deal to start, the Cubs will buy pitching. PROVEN PITCHING!

Why don't the DBags see this as an option? That's my fuckin question! Is it cuz the 2015 FA pitching class sucks?

Kershaw, Lester, Scherzer, Shields, Bailey, etc ....... I don't think so! I also see the Cubs finally going with a Pitcher with, hopefully, the #1 pick in the draft.

Add 1 or preferably 2, FA pitchers of that ilk, draft the #1 pitcher in the draft this year, and throw in an Arietta and a Hendricks?

I think I'm going to have fun in a year from now with all the bitches!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
\
Why don't the DBags see this as an option? That's my fuckin question! Is it cuz the 2015 FA pitching class sucks?

Kershaw, Lester, Scherzer, Shields, Bailey, etc ....... I don't think so! I also see the Cubs finally going with a Pitcher with, hopefully, the #1 pick in the draft.
Kershaw and Bailey both signed extensions. Lester has been pretty vocal about wanting to stay in Boston, but who knows with that situation.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Kershaw and Bailey both signed extensions. Lester has been pretty vocal about wanting to stay in Boston, but who knows with that situation.

Rumors are swirling about a trade of Lester to the Dodgers for Kemp. Of course, the Dodgers would have to eat a lot of his contract.

Also, you can take rumors with a grain of salt.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
And maybe another in Hendricks .... The last thing in the Cubs rebuild will be finally spending some money. I fail to realize why you don't accept that? The Cubs will be stacked with positional players that can hit!

There will be a couple/few pitchers that emerge. Then, when it's time to spend money, like maybe next year after the new TV deal to start, the Cubs will buy pitching. PROVEN PITCHING!

Add 1 or preferably 2, FA pitchers of that ilk, draft the #1 pitcher in the draft this year, and throw in an Arietta and a Hendricks?

I think I'm going to have fun in a year from now with all the bitches!

The Cubs have been pretty vocal about taking what they think is the best player in the draft. Now if it happens to be a pitcher, then it will happen. They have taken 4 positional players in a row, and three of those, or the last three have been during Theo's administration.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rumors are swirling about a trade of Lester to the Dodgers for Kemp. Of course, the Dodgers would have to eat a lot of his contract.

Also, you can take rumors with a grain of salt.

I am aware of those rumors, but I don't see it happening. It was an interesting rumor, but I am not certain how likely it is to happen. On the flip side, if the Dodgers trade for Lester the odds of him hitting the open market decreases rather than increases , imo.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So what happens if Lester isn't available/doesn't get signed by the Cubs? Who else can step in and solidify the staff without trading away young talent?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what happens if Lester isn't available/doesn't get signed by the Cubs? Who else can step in and solidify the staff without trading away young talent?

The market shrinks to James Shields, Matt Scherzer, Justin Masterson and the usual flip candidates that this FO has done well with. The likely Japanese import this offseason is Kenta Maeda who is not anywhere near the class of Matsuzaka, Darvish, or Tanaka. Maeda is an interesting guy and one I hope the Cubs are in on, but he is not the TOR starter that we are looking for at this point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
There realistically no rush on getting that TOR starter for another year or so til they get their everyday players set..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There realistically no rush on getting that TOR starter for another year or so til they get their everyday players set..

I dont believe that. There everyday players are going to be set by May. If they are not, then the Cubs are being cheap with Super 2. The Cubs have to make a push. You didnt re sign Shark. You dropped 52 million on Jackson that you are trying to eat and your payroll is almost nothing next year. The Cubs have to get one of them. I also believe they will sign a middle of the road pitcher. The Cubs have to make their push now. FA is pretty weak for the next couple of years. There are some big names, but almost 99% of those big names will never see FA. I do think the Cubs trade for another top pitcher but that comes later. They realistcally have like 50 to 60 million to spend easily and would still be under 100 million. They get a new TV contract and they were broke off that 20 something million the whole league recieves that in no way spent last year. There is absolutely no reason not to land one of them. Masterson I dont want though.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The market shrinks to James Shields, Matt Scherzer, Justin Masterson and the usual flip candidates that this FO has done well with. The likely Japanese import this offseason is Kenta Maeda who is not anywhere near the class of Matsuzaka, Darvish, or Tanaka. Maeda is an interesting guy and one I hope the Cubs are in on, but he is not the TOR starter that we are looking for at this point.
But he's a good quality 2 or 3 type then? If so, that could be a solid choice provided the price is right.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
But he's a good quality 2 or 3 type then? If so, that could be a solid choice provided the price is right.

He is more an innings eater type that might have some good years than a 2. 3 is probably the realistic ceiling but 4 is probably more reasonable. That said it is all guesswork until they show up. Ryu was a backend of the rotation starter/reliever according to some before he jumped over here.