Bears first-round pick Kyle Fuller gets 2 picks

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears first-round pick Kyle Fuller gets 2 picks

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

BOURBONNAIS — Rookie Kyle Fuller had an eventful introduction to the NFL on his first day of training camp Friday.

The Bears’ first-round draft pick from Virginia Tech had two interceptions, was burned for a long touchdown and was victimized by a push-off from Brandon Marshall.

“Definitely a good start, but I still got a lot of work to do,” Fuller said.

Fuller played cornerback in the first-team nickel defense and in the second-team base defense. He made a diving interception of a Jordan Palmer pass in front of Terrence Toliver.

“Just playing my technique, fundamentals, and when the ball’s in the air, just trying to make a play,” Fuller said.

Palmer burned him later, beating Jon Bostic’s blitz up the middle to hit wide receiver Chris Williams with a home-run ball. But Fuller recovered and made his second interception, picking off Jimmy Clausen’s pass for Toliver and scoring, much to the delight of the big crowd at Olivet Nazarene University.

The push-off from Marshall turned into a big pass play, but Fuller brushed it off as a lesson learned.

“I love going up against Brandon Marshall,’’ Fuller said. ‘‘He’s a stronger guy. I don’t make a big deal out of it. We’re just out there playing football. So I told him that next time, I got him.”

Three picks for QBs

Training camp is a zero-sum game — two good plays for Fuller are bad plays for the offense. Jay Cutler was intercepted by Sherrick McManis on a deflected ball.

“I don’t consider them good and bad days at this point,” coach Marc Trestman said. “When Kyle had an opportunity to make a play, he made it — that’s what we’re looking at.

“We see how everybody responds after failing and how they respond after success because that’s what a game is. How they respond is the most important thing as a professional.”

McClellin confident

Shea McClellin played strong-side linebacker in the base defense and also played in the nickel package in his first training-camp practice since being converted from defensive end.

“It’s where I belong,’’ McClellin said. ‘‘This is where I feel comfortable. I feel refreshed, just coming out here and playing linebacker. I’m very excited.”

McClellin said he feels more comfortable at his linebacker weight of 240.

“I think 240’s definitely natural for me,’’ he said. ‘‘I feel great right now. I feel like I can run. At 260, 255, it’s just not natural. I had a lot of extra weight I was carrying around.’’

Bits and pieces

There were no significant lineup moves in the first practice. The Bears opened 11-on-11 drills in nickel coverage, with Lance Briggs and Bostic at linebacker. The base-defense linebackers were Briggs, D.J. Williams in the middle and McClellin at the strong side.

† Brock Vereen and Ryan Mundy started at safety. Former Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson looked healthy and mobile working with the third team.

† Eben Britton started at right guard in place of Kyle Long, who is recovering from a viral infection.

† Wide receiver Eric Weems and cornerback Kelvin Hayden got into the first skirmish of training camp, but it was over as quickly as it began.

† At one point, defensive end Lamarr Houston moved inside, with Willie Young playing left end.

† The Bears’ first-team defense worked against a Wildcat package with Armanti Edwards at quarterback.

† The Bears signed Dylan Gandy, a guard/center with eight years of experience with the Colts and Lions, and waived Rutgers rookie defensive end Jamil Merrell.

Email: mpotash@suntimes.com

Twitter: @MarkPotash

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
“It’s where I belong,’’ McClellin said. ‘‘This is where I feel comfortable. I feel refreshed, just coming out here and playing linebacker. I’m very excited.”

“I think 240’s definitely natural for me,’’ he said. ‘‘I feel great right now. I feel like I can run. At 260, 255, it’s just not natural. I had a lot of extra weight I was carrying around.’’

photo-rev_sunrise.jpg

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Interesting to see Shea and DJ leave and Bostic coming in cold on Nickel downs. But, it's early.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just camp and all...

But this has me real excited...

McClellin confident

Shea McClellin played strong-side linebacker in the base defense and also played in the nickel package in his first training-camp practice since being converted from defensive end.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Just camp and all...

McClellin confident

Definitely, me too. He gets a lot of crap from being a 1st rounder, but if he was a 3rd rounder he would be one of the fan faves. I remember Wooten getting all kinds of MB cred for knocking Favre out. Shae hit really hard at LB in college, i'm hoping that transitions. Not really worried about him in coverage at SLB.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't get too hyped on McClellin either. Reggie had to stop practice to tell him where to line up because Shea was confused. He is far from ready right now to man any backer spot.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
lol @ getting hyped about shea mcclellin

everyone needs to pump the breaks on the preseason hype

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just camp and all...

McClellin confident

Yes, I think we did the kid a serious disservice playing him at DE. Really hope he rebounds because he seems like a good kid.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
lol @ getting hyped about shea mcclellin

everyone needs to pump the breaks on the preseason hype

who the hell is hyping him up to be anything? Just saying we're excited about him getting moved because, from the time he was drafted, no one was really excited about a tweener starting DE for a 4-3 team.

Rawky

Liked Posts:
Yes, I think we did the kid a serious disservice playing him at DE. Really hope he rebounds because he seems like a good kid.

I watched him play a lot in college because my local teams in the same conference. I remember him as a very productive and versatile player. Had pretty good numbers on that Boise defense.

When we first drafted him I thought he would be a SLB and be groomed to replace urlacher at mike. No idea why they thought he should play DE. 6'4'' 265 is the right size but he never had the right dimensions. Those fat pics prove that.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get too hyped on McClellin either. Reggie had to stop practice to tell him where to line up because Shea was confused. He is far from ready right now to man any backer spot.

You get that from Stoltz?

Im thinkin of subbin for the duration of camp.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
who the hell is hyping him up to be anything? Just saying we're excited about him getting moved because, from the time he was drafted, no one was really excited about a tweener starting DE for a 4-3 team.

lol @ being excited about shea mcllelin

bearmuff

Liked Posts:

this.

he is probably the player I'm rooting for the most. tons of potential, good attitude, and cost my team a 1st round draft pick.

i'm a big fan of Feel Emery and would like to see this one work out for him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You get that from Stoltz?

Im thinkin of subbin for the duration of camp.

Yeah that was from the day 1 report. You might as well take the free 30 day sub during camp. The only thing that sucks about canceling a membership from scout.com is you have to call. There apparently is no online feature to close an account.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah that was from the day 1 report. You might as well take the free 30 day sub during camp. The only thing that sucks about canceling a membership from scout.com is you have to call. There apparently is no online feature to close an account.

Yes there is. You just post a bunch of his full articles on here and PM Biff about it.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, I have never canceled so I have no idea if they are like on DirecTV's level of keeping you on the line so you don't cancel.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Dylan Gandy for TC hero!!!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

7 days. Probably due to it being camp.