What do you guys think is going to be the starting 5 next year?

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
PG - Rose
SG - Butler
SF - McDermott
PF - Gasol
C - Noah

6th - Gibson - PF/SF
7th - Mirotic - SF/PF
8th - Hinrich - PG/SG
9th - Dunleavy - SF/PF
10th - Tony Snell - SG/SF
11th - Aaron Brooks - PG
12th - Cameron Bairstow - PF/C

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Obviously Rose is starting at PG (please, let's just assume he'll be healthy for arguments sake), Butler at the 2, Dunleavy at the 3? Pau at the 4 and Joakim at the 5?

I've always thought Jimmy's play style was better suited for the 3 rather than the 2 and Dunleavy a 2 rather than a 3. If it was up to me, this would be my starting lineup:

1. Rose/Brooks/Kirk
2. Dunleavy/Snell
3. Butler/Snell/McBuckets/Mirotic?
4. Pau/Gibson/Mirotic/McBuckets?
5. Noah/Pau/Gibson?

Am I missing anything from the above players?

What would your starting 5 be? Or who do you think Thibs will tab as the starters?

1. Are you seriously saying Dunleavy is a 6'-10" 2 guard? Um, no.
2. Butler should play SF but he's the best on the ball defender the Bulls have so he will see most of his time defending SG's or slashing SF's like Paul George.
3. McDermott is too small and underpowered to play PF, he did show some quickness in summer league so he should be able to keep up with most SF's but he would be abused by stronger players.
4. Dunleavy/Mirotic are both tweeners that will mostly get SF minutes but can play PF against "stretch" 4's.
5. Kirk can play SG along with Snell and Butler not MDJ.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd love to see Doug take the 3 spot, but do you think he can guard SF's?
He can guard the slower ones...lol. We all know defense isn't his strength. However, he does give his best effort and we do have Thibs' defensive scheme on our side. Thibs likes him too, so I figure he'll find a way to have him on the floor despite not being a great defender. He'll probably see a lot of minutes with Kirk and/or Jimmy so that they can take the more dangerous wing player.

I might be crazy, but I think Dougie can also play the SG spot for small stretches (again, provided he's playing with a good wing defender) in a role where we use him to post up smaller defenders. Though...if he's playing with Jimmy, it doesn't really matter who's playing what position.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
1. Are you seriously saying Dunleavy is a 6'-10" 2 guard? Um, no.
2. Butler should play SF but he's the best on the ball defender the Bulls have so he will see most of his time defending SG's or slashing SF's like Paul George.
3. McDermott is too small and underpowered to play PF, he did show some quickness in summer league so he should be able to keep up with most SF's but he would be abused by stronger players.
4. Dunleavy/Mirotic are both tweeners that will mostly get SF minutes but can play PF against "stretch" 4's.
5. Kirk can play SG along with Snell and Butler not MDJ.

Well you are what you guard, correct? If Dunleavy is out on the court with Jimmy, I think Jimmy will be guarding more 3's and Dunleavy more 2's than anything else

czman

Liked Posts:
Well you are what you guard, correct? If Dunleavy is out on the court with Jimmy, I think Jimmy will be guarding more 3's and Dunleavy more 2's than anything else

You are what you guard and Jimmy will probably guard more 2s. Outside of James/KD/Gay I think Butler will be on SGs for the most part.

Starting 5, until someone gets hurt, will be:

Rose
Butler
Dunleavy
Gasol
Noah

Bench will not be as utilized as people expect until an injury happens.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Another interesting question: Do you guys think there is a chance of Snell starting at the 2/3 with Dunleavy coming off the bench?

I'd say no because of how it would affect the bench defense

People keep listing Dunleavy at the 2, I don't yhink he's best suited there and Snell is much more likely to be a 2 than a 3, he's quick and not a great rebounder

1 Rose Hinrich Brooks
2 Butler Snell Hinrich
3 Dunleavy McDermott Butler
4 Gasol Gibson Mirotic
5 Noah Gasol

I don't see many minutes for Mirotic the first half. Brooks only plays if someone gets injured. Whether Snell or McDermott is better will determine who plays and if Hinrich plays as much or if Butler goes to the 3 more, or if they both can contribute maybe everybody rests more.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Actually, his secondary position is listed as SG if I'm not mistaken...
Good point, because he did indeed play plenty of SG for Indiana. With that said his best position is bench player. He doesn't belong in the starting lineup and the #11 pick should be able to start immediately over a role player like Dunleavy.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Starting 5, until someone gets hurt, will be:

Rose
Butler
Dunleavy
Gasol
Noah

Bench will not be as utilized as people expect until an injury happens.

I'd rather see Gibson play SF an go with a big lineup before letting Dunleavy start. That is a terrible lineup IMO, if McDermott/Mirotic can't beat out a 34 year old Dunleavy this team is going nowhere fast.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good point, because he did indeed play plenty of SG for Indiana. With that said his best position is bench player. He doesn't belong in the starting lineup and the #11 pick should be able to start immediately over a role player like Dunleavy.
I'm fairly optimistic about McDermott taking that starting role over Dunleavy...or at least do what Taj did last year and get all the major minutes. Thibs is a bit stubborn with his starting lineup so we could very well see the same lineup out there every time whether we like it or not.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
How about....

PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Lance Stephenson
SF - Doug McDermott
PF - Taj Gibson
C - Joakim Noah

Bench:
Hinrich, Butler, Mirotic, Bairstow, Aaron Brooks, Dunleavy Jr, Snell

Any chance the Bulls could compete with that?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How about....

PG - Derrick Rose
SG - Lance Stephenson
SF - Doug McDermott
PF - Taj Gibson
C - Joakim Noah

Bench:
Hinrich, Butler, Mirotic, Bairstow, Aaron Brooks, Dunleavy Jr, Snell

Any chance the Bulls could compete with that?
Yes

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I'm going to guess

PG:Rose
SG:Butler
SF:McDermott
PF:Gasol
C:Noah

6th:Gibson

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gasol was told he'd have a starting spot if he signed here. Gibson has also said he's comfortable coming off the bench.

So it should be clear who's gonna start at PF.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gasol was told he'd have a starting spot if he signed here. Gibson has also said he's comfortable coming off the bench.

So it should be clear who's gonna start at PF.
Did they really? Must've missed that report.

I don't think it's really a huge deal between Gasol and Gibson...just more of a preference thing. Imo, it's easier to balance out the minutes and the offense/defense stuff if Gasol and Noah's minutes are staggered, but it'll work out either way.

czman

Liked Posts:
I'd rather see Gibson play SF an go with a big lineup before letting Dunleavy start. That is a terrible lineup IMO, if McDermott/Mirotic can't beat out a 34 year old Dunleavy this team is going nowhere fast.

Gibson at the 3 would be awful. I have not seen enough of Mirotic to know if he can play the 3, but my impression is he would awful there too.

You have to space the floor and I am sure Gibson does not do that. Mirotic is stll an unknown.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gibson at the 3 would be awful. I have not seen enough of Mirotic to know if he can play the 3, but my impression is he would awful there too.

You have to space the floor and I am sure Gibson does not do that. Mirotic is stll an unknown.
Mirotic at the 3 is a little more palatable because he can make 3s, but I think he's gonna play most, if not all, his minutes at PF.

czman

Liked Posts:
Mirotic at the 3 is a little more palatable because he can make 3s, but I think he's gonna play most, if not all, his minutes at PF.

Can he defend the3? Thibs is going to matchup on defense. Well unless he suddenly changes what he has done in the past.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did they really? Must've missed that report.

I don't think it's really a huge deal between Gasol and Gibson...just more of a preference thing. Imo, it's easier to balance out the minutes and the offense/defense stuff if Gasol and Noah's minutes are staggered, but it'll work out either way.

A source did say that in the talks with Gasol, the veteran was told that there would be a starting job for him with the Bulls. That would mean that Taj Gibson can remain a Sixth Man of the Year candidate for another season, coming off the bench.

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/bulls-close-in-on-mirotic-close-out-on-boozer/

K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop · Jul 23
Taj Gibson "loves" the Pau Gasol addition and said he was never told he would start and has no problem coming off bench.

I mean, nothing is set in stone, obviously... but it seems like Gasol is on the path to start.

I'd prefer Gibson too though, because like you said, the minutes would work better. Gasol can play C and PF where as Gibson pretty much only fits at PF unless we went really small.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A source did say that in the talks with Gasol, the veteran was told that there would be a starting job for him with the Bulls. That would mean that Taj Gibson can remain a Sixth Man of the Year candidate for another season, coming off the bench.

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/bulls-close-in-on-mirotic-close-out-on-boozer/

K.C. Johnson @KCJHoop · Jul 23
Taj Gibson "loves" the Pau Gasol addition and said he was never told he would start and has no problem coming off bench.

I mean, nothing is set in stone, obviously... but it seems like Gasol is on the path to start.

I'd prefer Gibson too though, because like you said, the minutes would work better. Gasol can play C and PF where as Gibson pretty much only fits at PF unless we went really small.
Well it is what it is. I kinda sorta trust Thibs with minutes and rotations...