Allen should be a better upgrade than Peppers ? Yes or No ?? readable article

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jared Allen Will Prove to Be Major Upgrade Over Julius Peppers for Chicago Bears ... Yes or No ??

At one time, Julius Peppers was a dynamic, double- or even triple-team-demanding defensive end. That was certainly the case with the Carolina Panthers, but was it with the Chicago Bears?
Obviously, he was a huge free-agency pickup and definitely was a major part of a couple extremely talented defenses. However, the 2013 season was different. Sure, the entire defense took a major step back, especially with injuries ravaging the interior defensive line, but Peppers also seemed a step slower. Was he hurt? If he was, he didn’t mention it.
In 16 games played, Peppers only had seven sacks, the second-lowest total in his 13-year career, and the lowest he’d accumulated with the Bears.
Of course, once the offseason rolled around, due to his lack of production as well as the last couple years of a monster contract that would have the Bears’ salary cap in binds, Peppers was released. And to Green Bay Packers fans I say: sorry, not sorry. I watched every second that Peppers played last year, and, well, you shouldn’t be as excited as you seem to be.
But anyway, what happened next was unexpected.
Jared Allen, being relieved of the nightmare that was the 2013 Minnesota Vikings, was trying to find the right match to continue his career. When rumors started that he was going to take less money to join the Seattle Seahawks, that seemed like a sure thing. Why not join the defending Super Bowl champions which also happen to boast the best defense in the league?
Despite all apparent logic, Allen chose to sign with the Bears instead. And though Allen himself is not a young man anymore, he will prove to be a huge upgrade over Peppers.
In the last four years in which Peppers played for the Bears, he had 37.5 sacks and 175 tackles. Those numbers average out to about 9.5 sacks and 44 tackles per year.
Allen, on the other hand, racked in 56.5 sacks and 223 tackles. That comes to about 14 sacks and 56 tackles. Clearly, Allen has been a much more productive player, and also hasn’t shown signs of regression as he hasn’t had under double-digit sacks since 2006. Peppers, contrarily, has had less than 10 sacks in three seasons since 2006.
What’s even more promising is how Allen is feeling right now. He’s out of a situation in Minnesota where he was essentially the only truly great player on defense, unless you consider Everson Griffen someone like that. I do not, and he was grossly overpaid — but whatever. Regardless, Allen is on a much better defense now after the offseason they’ve had — bringing in guys like Lamarr Houston and Willie Young to help bolster the DL — and he feels rejuvenated at this juncture in his career with a new team that he believes in.
“…for me it was finding a spot where a) I have a chance to win; and b) I believe in everything they’re selling,” Allen told the Chicago Tribune. ”I feel re-energized. You can get in a place so long to where you find yourself just going through the motions.”
Such was the case in Minnesota, where he was just going through the motions, yet still racked up 11.5 sacks last year on a defense with no help. This year will be a different story where he’ll have a supporting cast on a much better overall team.
While it was tough to see Peppers go, it was clear he’s lost a step and it was definitely the right decision to cut him and his large salary. Allen is here on a much more economical pay scale, but will still prove to be immensely more productive than Peppers was during his tenure in Chicago.
Brian Neal is an NFL and NBA contributor for RantSports.com. Follow him on

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Brian Neal is right. It makes sense to me what he is saying but it could just be my Bears bias.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Allen has more left in the tank and can still get off the edge.

Peppers doesn't have that burst anymore

Toast88

Liked Posts:
A lot of outside-of-Chicago people seem to think Peppers will have a better year than Allen and that the Packers stuck it to the Bears by picking him up.

Is that just Peppers' reputation blinding people to the fact that's he's been virtually non-existent for much of the past two years or what?

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Peppers is all but done. Moving him farther from the line of scrimmage is the absolute last thing they should do.

Picture a guy with zero motivation to play the game, add in plantar fascitis to boot, and cut his salary in half.

Now make him run even more, and surround him with chumps with no toughness or work ethic. Oh, and change his position to take away from what strengths he has left, and have him work with the most overrated underskilled DC in the league.

#Success

#Success

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quit with all the Allen talk. We dont have the cap room for him.
duh.gif

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You can best believe we'll be seeing Julius Peppers at his most motivated when the Bears play them.
Exactly, he's a mercenary, not necessarily a bad thing.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
If take Allen in his "prime" over Peppers prime any day of the week.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
I will second that. Just look at the #s and the mullett! Still waiting for you know who Packer homer to tell us that in his fantasy world Peppers' #s are better and it is the truth :shrug:

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Still not very motivated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't remember him being all that motivated the first time we played Carolina. Or any other time that we played them. I think there is little real animosity toward the Bears. I'm sure Peppers himself knew that he wouldn't be retained with that much of a salary hit and he braced himself for his release. I also doubt that he didn't talk to anyone in the front office about restructuring his contract.

The simple reality was that Peppers thought he could get more on the open market than the Bears were willing to offer so Chicago cut him. He is happy because he is probably making more than what Chicago could pay and Chicago is happy because Allen should be able to do as well as Julius without the massive cap hit.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea the cap hit for Peppers was gonna be massive.
Peppers is still a beast but he's not ferocious.
Now we have two ferocious beasts on the edges and mean and nastiness on the inside.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A lot of outside-of-Chicago people seem to think Peppers will have a better year than Allen and that the Packers stuck it to the Bears by picking him up.

Is that just Peppers' reputation blinding people to the fact that's he's been virtually non-existent for much of the past two years or what?
Its the fact that the packers signed him. Nothing more or less.

ZOMG DREATEST MOVE EVERZ!!

---> Sent from above.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never got the sense that Peppers raised the game of anyone around him. The leadership just wasn't there. Yes, his athleticism was off the charts, but he never seemed like the engine that drove the defense. Isn't that what you want out of a high profile FA acquisition?

Allen on the other hand has a high motor, great productivity, AND infectious energy. Listen to the guy talk and you know why he's excited about being on the team. I don't think Peppers was ever excited about anything except his paycheck. Kind of a weird dude. I remember Urlacher talking about how Peppers would roll into the locker room right before a game started. Lach thought it was the strangest thing that a player could just flip the switch that fast and be ready to go like that. To me, it sounded like a lack of desire and someone riding on their physical talent.

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:
I never got the sense that Peppers raised the game of anyone around him. The leadership just wasn't there. Yes, his athleticism was off the charts, but he never seemed like the engine that drove the defense. Isn't that what you want out of a high profile FA acquisition?

Allen on the other hand has a high motor, great productivity, AND infectious energy. Listen to the guy talk and you know why he's excited about being on the team. I don't think Peppers was ever excited about anything except his paycheck. Kind of a weird dude. I remember Urlacher talking about how Peppers would roll into the locker room right before a game started. Lach thought it was the strangest thing that a player could just flip the switch that fast and be ready to go like that. To me, it sounded like a lack of desire and someone riding on their physical talent.
Bing! Loved peppers he made some huge plays for us but man he didn't have any type of leadership and didn't have that drive that made others wanna take their game to the next level, as evidenced in virtually every pregame concentration drill , Haka, or just a hyped speech he never really seemed into it . I wanna pay paea to do the Haka in my front yard I think I could even manage a sack after being apart of that.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:

IMO. its just the way the masses are led to view the packers who get their asses kissed by the media daily. No matter what move the packers make.."Its the right one"..This has been going on since the emergence of favre..I have no idea how Peppers will play, but you can bet that when the Bears and Packers meet, the focus of the announcers will be on Peppers impact on the game. Oooh, Allen will get an also mention...lol

Last edited: