OT: Anyone catch Stephen A. say that dumb shit

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:
On the subject of Ray Rice he said women should know not to provoke a man in a manner of that of which could lead to a physical altercation.. Jesus what a clown hopefully they can his dumbass , he is nearly unwatchable to me and his "opinions" can almost always be in parallel with what is referred to as a racebaiter. Hopefully this will help wake ESPN up and realize that this dude is nothing but another sexist/"racebaiting" prick playing reporter.. would rather listen to cornhieser and jaws argue on Monday night football than hear this douche talk..... ever.

Daily Kos

NEWS

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith gets hammered for on-air remarks on domestic violence

Jul 25, 2014 12:40pm PDT by*Hunter

134*65

I'm so glad there are so many pro athletes who are terrible people. It's allowed us to have so many serious national conversations about things lately. Or, you know,*not:

Listen up, ladies, ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith has a message for you, and it’s basically: Stop provoking men into beating you so Smith and his “fellas” don’t have to get your back.

Smith’s point—and it’s a bad one—goes something like this: Men should never hit women, but it’s really on women to make sure they don’t do anything that would trigger a violent response.

If you like watching videos of train wrecks, that one's a doozy.

Smith*took to Twitter*after the predictable storm of complaints:

Upon hearing what I had to say, although admitting I could have been more articulate on the matter, let me be clear: I don't understand how on earth someone could interpret that I somehow was saying women are to blame for domestic violence.

[...] But what about addressing women on how they can help prevent the obvious wrong being done upon them? In no way was I accusing a women of being wrong. I was simply saying what that preventive measures always need to be addressed because there's only but so much that can be done after the fact....once the damage is already done.

So that'll go well. On the other side, ESPN's Michelle Beadle was one of the people who called Smith out on his remarks. Her reward has been*a steady stream of vulgarities and bile*tweeted out from the internet's worst denizens.

This really has been a learning experience, hasn't it?

Display 134 Comments

View Full Site*|*Helpdesk

©2014 Kos Media

JErryAZuma

BallHawk/CardShark
Liked Posts:
Couldn't get the video to post if someone wants to do the honors, lol he really shits the bed with this one even Skip realizes the fuck up

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Absolute brilliance incoming:

[video=youtube;IDzWvHhgTrY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDzWvHhgTrY[/video]

DaGunslinger6

Liked Posts:
He also said that it is not acceptable for a man to put his hands on a female for any reason. Women should be taught at a young age that it is not ok to put their hands on another person whether it be a man or woman the same way a young man should be taught it's not ok to put their hands on a woman. I mean has your wife/gf ever provoked you to the point that you wanted to choke the fuck out of them? The thing is some of us are able to control ourselves and walk away, to where others like Ray Rice do not have that self control, and that's the point Stephen A was making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
He also said that it is not acceptable for a man to put his hands on a female for any reason. Women should be taught at a young age that it is not ok to put their hands on another person whether it be a man or woman the same way a young man should be taught it's not ok to put their hands on a woman. I mean has your wife/gf ever provoked you to the point that you wanted to choke the fuck out of them? The thing is some of us are able to control ourselves and walk away, to where others like Ray Rice do not have that self control, and that's the point Stephen A was making.

You aren't going to win that argument. It was a lousy comment and ridiculous statement.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, we have large concrete group homes for people that lack self control. Should a woman attempt to provoke violence? Obviously not...but that doesn't make the escalation to the realm of physical altercation any less egregious, or any less the responsibility of the person that initiated the physical violence.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Women are not to blame for domestic violence, period. What's worse than Smith's equivocation is the NFL's failure to take a stand. By suspending players twice as long for using weed as for beating a woman senseless, they have let everyone know where they stand.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
On the subject of Ray Rice he said women should know not to provoke a man in a manner of that of which could lead to a physical altercation.. Jesus what a clown hopefully they can his dumbass , he is nearly unwatchable to me and his "opinions" can almost always be in parallel with what is referred to as a racebaiter. Hopefully this will help wake ESPN up and realize that this dude is nothing but another sexist/"racebaiting" prick playing reporter.. would rather listen to cornhieser and jaws argue on Monday night football than hear this douche talk..... ever.

Daily Kos

NEWS

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith gets hammered for on-air remarks on domestic violence

Jul 25, 2014 12:40pm PDT by*Hunter

134*65

I'm so glad there are so many pro athletes who are terrible people. It's allowed us to have so many serious national conversations about things lately. Or, you know,*not:

Listen up, ladies, ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith has a message for you, and it’s basically: Stop provoking men into beating you so Smith and his “fellas” don’t have to get your back.

Smith’s point—and it’s a bad one—goes something like this: Men should never hit women, but it’s really on women to make sure they don’t do anything that would trigger a violent response.

If you like watching videos of train wrecks, that one's a doozy.

Smith*took to Twitter*after the predictable storm of complaints:

Upon hearing what I had to say, although admitting I could have been more articulate on the matter, let me be clear: I don't understand how on earth someone could interpret that I somehow was saying women are to blame for domestic violence.

[...] But what about addressing women on how they can help prevent the obvious wrong being done upon them? In no way was I accusing a women of being wrong. I was simply saying what that preventive measures always need to be addressed because there's only but so much that can be done after the fact....once the damage is already done.

So that'll go well. On the other side, ESPN's Michelle Beadle was one of the people who called Smith out on his remarks. Her reward has been*a steady stream of vulgarities and bile*tweeted out from the internet's worst denizens.

This really has been a learning experience, hasn't it?

Display 134 Comments

View Full Site*|*Helpdesk

[emoji767]2014 Kos Media

Did he say that? I watched the video and I don't think that's what he said. It seemed like he was speaking gibberish. I'm not sure how anyone understood anything that came out of his mouth. I think I could watch that 10 times and not fully understand what he was saying

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I agree. Women should also be taught from an early age not to dress slutty because when they grow up, most men can handle it and won't try to rape them, but there are some guys that don't have self control, and women should be aware that if they wear tight little shorts or show off their cleavage, they are more likely to be sexually assaulted.

stallan54

Liked Posts:
Most of you are correct. Another portion of you are politically correct. I will say this from first-hand witnessing. A heated argument escalated between a totally sober couple, who are 2 of the most similar personalities I know... competitive, short-fused, offensive, defensive, subjective, etc.. It stemmed from jealousy on the woman who was furious to hear that her husband was caught red-handed visiting an adult internet site where the purpose of this website is to meet single women. First off, I am happily married and even I've visited those sites. I have had no intent on USING it, but it was fun to browse and read profiles after hearing some of my single buddies doing it. We've all done it and it's the mischievous stuff we do in private at midnight when the wife is sleeping. If you haven't, you're lame. Sorry. The guy was defending himself telling her that he indeed DID visit the site but he didn't intend on executing a plan to meet anyone. She of course didn't buy it and raged on him. The fight escalated to a point to where he pulled her into a back private room where she slapped the shit out of him. I heard it. Then we heard her scream because he retaliated by slapping (not punching) the shit out of her so hard it knocked her to the ground. Cops came and he was arrested for domestic violence battery.

Then you see the Jay-Z elevator fight and wonder how in the sam hell did JayZ not knock that woman out or at least do something.

Point is, people react differently based on their personalities / temper. That personality / temper doesn't mean they are bad people in my opinion. In NO WAY AM I CONDONING HITTING A WOMAN!! BUT, women should be held accountable the same way men are. This is a guess, but perhaps 50% of domestic violence issues where the man is arrested probably has something to do with the fact that the woman touched the guy first. Nobody wins.

Zoot Allures

Yoked like Shea
Liked Posts:
I agree. Women should also be taught from an early age not to dress slutty because when they grow up, most men can handle it and won't try to rape them, but there are some guys that don't have self control, and women should be aware that if they wear tight little shorts or show off their cleavage, they are more likely to be sexually assaulted.

Bullshit, The world doesn't need to accommodate for those with no self control.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Most of you are correct. Another portion of you are politically correct. I will say this from first-hand witnessing. A heated argument escalated between a totally sober couple, who are 2 of the most similar personalities I know... competitive, short-fused, offensive, defensive, subjective, etc.. It stemmed from jealousy on the woman who was furious to hear that her husband was caught red-handed visiting an adult internet site where the purpose of this website is to meet single women. First off, I am happily married and even I've visited those sites. I have had no intent on USING it, but it was fun to browse and read profiles after hearing some of my single buddies doing it. We've all done it and it's the mischievous stuff we do in private at midnight when the wife is sleeping. If you haven't, you're lame. Sorry. The guy was defending himself telling her that he indeed DID visit the site but he didn't intend on executing a plan to meet anyone. She of course didn't buy it and raged on him. The fight escalated to a point to where he pulled her into a back private room where she slapped the shit out of him. I heard it. Then we heard her scream because he retaliated by slapping (not punching) the shit out of her so hard it knocked her to the ground. Cops came and he was arrested for domestic violence battery.

Then you see the Jay-Z elevator fight and wonder how in the sam hell did JayZ not knock that woman out or at least do something.

Point is, people react differently based on their personalities / temper. That personality / temper doesn't mean they are bad people in my opinion. In NO WAY AM I CONDONING HITTING A WOMAN!! BUT, women should be held accountable the same way men are. This is a guess, but perhaps 50% of domestic violence issues where the man is arrested probably has something to do with the fact that the woman touched the guy first. Nobody wins.

But that's not what smith was allegedly saying. Yes women should be held to same standards of domestic abuse as men. But they shouldn't have to train themselves not to react a certain legal way, so they don't get hit

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was a poor choice of timing and forum for his comments. While discussing a specific case like this it sounds like he is blaming the victim and in some ways with his comments he is.

I think his larger point is that if you cant defend yourself you have to be careful about being a dumbass. That I understand.

I also understand why one would infer that he was saying that this girl was being a dumbass and thus provoked ray rice and then maybe there was some justifiable reason for it. I just dont think he was intending that.

Now, I dont fully know what this girl did but either way, it doesnt justify knocking her unconscious.