Rookie DT Will Sutton knows he has work to do

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...ton-knows-he-has-work-to-do.html#.U9fPNoBdWAY

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter July 28, 2014 9:00PM

BOURBONNAIS — A full practice working with the first team Monday wasn’t enough for rookie defensive tackle Will Sutton. He needed some extra work with skill-development coach Joe Kim after facing guard Matt Slauson.

‘‘You can’t just go down the middle of the man,’’ Sutton said. ‘‘Everybody is a grown man, of course. You have to be able to use technique. Technique is the game. You use the proper technique, and you’ll be able to win every matchup.’’

Sutton played in place of veteran Jeremiah Ratliff (day off). He has shown a quick burst during camp but admitted facing Slauson and others has been a learning experience.

‘‘The only struggle that I’ve had with the transition is just how strong everybody is,’’ said Sutton, a two-time Pac-12 defensive player of the year at Arizona State. ‘‘The weight room is one of the biggest factors out here right now. I’m a young guy out here with guys who have been doing it for a while, so experience plays a role. I’ve just got to get out here and take the room weight room seriously.’’

Say what?

Coach Marc Trestman seemed irked by a question from a reporter who referred to a story that indicated Trestman preferred Jordan Palmer to Jimmy Clausen as the backup quarterback.

‘‘That couldn’t be,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘I’ve never said anything to that at all. I’ve said that it’s a competition, that it’s an open competition. I’ve never been asked a question in two years like that, but my answer is as simple as it can be, and that is that it’s a competition. I haven’t even thought about at this point who that guy would be. I want to let it happen, and it will.’’

The Long rotation

Guard Kyle Long remained out with a viral infection and spent the day visiting a doctor.

Brian de la Puente and Michael Ola received snaps with the first team. They replaced Eben Britton, who played in Long’s place the first three days of practice.

‘‘We’ve got a lot of confidence in all those guys,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘It’s a competition between Eben, Brian and Ola, and all those guys are certainly very capable guys that we’re glad to have.’’

On the sidelines

Receiver Alshon Jeffery left practice early with a sore foot, and receiver Terrence Toliver continued to sit out with an injured toe.

Slauson didn’t finish practice because of a sore right shoulder. He had offseason shoulder surgery, but the Bears said it was a precautionary move.

Cornerback Tim Jennings remained out with sore quadriceps, and safeties Chris Conte (shoulder) and Craig Steltz (groin) are still on the physically unable-to-perform list.

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com

Twitter: @adamjahns

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This shit was free, it's obviously not important.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
great blag ole.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Glad to see him working overtime on his hand technique the more practice and coaching he gets the better he will be. Also glad he knows he has to gain more upper body strength. Some young players think they know it all and I'm happy he gets it (so far)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Sutton can provide 25-30 high energy pass rush snaps a game he will be a rookie success in my books.

If Ferguson an provide 25-30 stout sun stuffing reps a game his rookie year will be a success.

Let Ratliff, Collins and Paea do the rest.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If Sutton can provide 25-30 high energy pass rush snaps a game he will be a rookie success in my books.

If Ferguson an provide 25-30 stout sun stuffing reps a game his rookie year will be a success.

Did Houston get cut?

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah Sutton looks like he'll get snaps.
Just gotta wait and see if EGO gets past the rookie welcome to the NFL initiation he's receiving.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Ego can stop the sun, he will be a Bear God, not just all pro... :lol:

Nick80

'Coach Marc Trestman seemed irked by a question from a reporter who referred to a story that indicated Trestman preferred Jordan Palmer to Jimmy Clausen as the backup quarterback.'

Biff, stop it.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:

that's quality play for any player