Bears offense going to take a step back?

sewie

Liked Posts:
The Bears set records last season in net yardage (6,109 yards), passing yards (4,281), completion percentage (64.4), passing touchdowns (32) and passer rating (96.9) in addition to achieving a franchise-best 344 first downs while scoring the second-most points in franchise history (445).
As everyone prepares for the Bears to overcome those number in 2014, there is something you need to know. Everything you have heard so far is true….Marc Trestman is the quarterback whisperer, Jay Cutler is primed for a big season and the Chicago Bears’ skill players could be the best in the NFL – right?

What’s the problem?

Let’s start with the division ….

Vikings: finished 2013 ranked 31st overall in defense, Bears scored 50+ points in two games against them – even though they lost one of them.

Packers: finished 2013 ranked 25th overall in defense, Bears scored 55+ points in two games against them.

Lions: finished 2013 ranked 16th overall in defense, Bears scored 50+ points in two games against them.

See where I am going with this …? The Chicago Bears 2013 offense was great, but there’s a reason why Josh McCown looked like a MVP; it wasn’t all because of Marc Trestman’s magic.

The Chicago Bears finished 2013 ranked 2nd in overall points with 445, averaging 27.8 pts per game. Safe to say the divisional games were gonna cover that average, but what about the rest of the schedule?

Cowboys: finished 2013 ranked last in overall defense, Bears scored 45 pts against them.

Redskins: finished 2013 ranked 18th overall in defense, Bears scored 41 pts against them.

I could go on, but I’d rather point out the loophole in this.

Eagles: finished 2013 ranked 29th overall in defense, Bears scored 11 pts against them – WTF happeded that game!?

Anyway…

The Chicago Bears play the 15th most difficult schedule in 2014 based on opponent win percentage. Everything should be just like 2013, right?

Not exactly.

2014 Opponents Worth Noting

San Francisco 49ers – #5 defense last year

Carolina Panthers – #2 defense last year

New York Jets – #11 defense last year

Seattle Seahawks – #1 defense last year (pre-season test)

Green Bay Packers – Clay Matthews missed 5 games last year, Added Julius Peppers, Drafted Haha Clinton-Dix

Detroit Lions – Featuring a very young defensive line that could become one of the NFL’s best next year.

Before everyone buys their tickets to Arizona for the 2015 Super Bowl, consider for a moment that the Chicago Bears offense could take a step back next year

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
Big whoop.

This offense was in its INFANCY last year and still TORE IT UP!

WITH 2 DIFFERENT QB'S!

Sky's the limit dudes.

No matter the oppoenent.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears set records last season in net yardage (6,109 yards), passing yards (4,281), completion percentage (64.4), passing touchdowns (32) and passer rating (96.9) in addition to achieving a franchise-best 344 first downs while scoring the second-most points in franchise history (445).
As everyone prepares for the Bears to overcome those number in 2014, there is something you need to know. Everything you have heard so far is true….Marc Trestman is the quarterback whisperer, Jay Cutler is primed for a big season and the Chicago Bears’ skill players could be the best in the NFL – right?

What’s the problem?

Vikings: finished 2013 ranked 31st overall in defense, Bears scored 50+ points in two games against them – even though they lost one of them.

Packers: finished 2013 ranked 25th overall in defense, Bears scored 55+ points in two games against them.

Lions: finished 2013 ranked 16th overall in defense, Bears scored 50+ points in two games against them.

See where I am going with this …? The Chicago Bears 2013 offense was great, but there’s a reason why Josh McCown looked like a MVP; it wasn’t all because of Marc Trestman’s magic.

The Chicago Bears finished 2013 ranked 2nd in overall points with 445, averaging 27.8 pts per game. Safe to say the divisional games were gonna cover that average, but what about the rest of the schedule?

Cowboys: finished 2013 ranked last in overall defense, Bears scored 45 pts against them.

Redskins: finished 2013 ranked 18th overall in defense, Bears scored 41 pts against them.

Eagles: finished 2013 ranked 29th overall in defense, Bears scored 11 pts against them – WTF happeded that game!?

Anyway…

The Chicago Bears play the 15th most difficult schedule in 2014 based on opponent win percentage. Everything should be just like 2013, right?

Not exactly.

Green Bay Packers – Clay Matthews missed 5 games last year, Added Julius Peppers, Drafted Haha Clinton-Dix

Detroit Lions – Featuring a very young defensive line that could become one of the NFL’s best next year.

Before everyone buys their tickets to Arizona for the 2015 Super Bowl, consider for a moment that the Chicago Bears offense could take a step back next year

That was half empty......for the half full version see below......

The Bears offensive line had 4 new starters last year and basically it was the first time they all played together.....continuity is a big key factor in determining how an offensive line could perform..........this will be the second year they will be together.....

All the offensive players are returning and are even more tuned in on the same sheet of music.

Also....the X factor......defense

If the defense can get a few more earlier stops the offense could have better starting field position. So this would tend to maker things better for the offense and give them less field to overcome. Bears were 5th in average yards per offensive drive yet 13th in average starting field position. Also the defense was DEAD LAST in yards given up per drive.......

So if the defense can improve the average field position should improve and the bears offense will have more scoring opportunities.........

Bones40

Liked Posts:
Who cares about whether they take a step back or forward in the rankings? All that matters is they are more efficient and execute well enough to win games. Bottom line is they will be better than last year, whether the ranking shows it or not due to level of competition.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the OP makes valid points, and of course there are two sides to the argument. The Bears offense only had one real injury last year, and so it seems benefited by it. Maybe we can be that lucky again on offense, but it is doubtful, odds are against it. I remember years when our offensive line just had one injury after the other, moving guys around, just like our defensive line last year.

I do think that the offense is loaded with playmakers (Marshall, Jeffery, Forte, Bennett). I think the OL is at least average. I think the QB is a bit above average. So I think that the offense overall should be top 10, which it was last year even by yards.

I think that a top 10 offense, combined with an average defense gets us in the playoffs, and after that it is a matter of what team is not injured and is hot and peaking.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

Bears records, which is kind of pathetic when compared to many other teams. I hope in my lifetime we have at least a couple of QB's who have long careers of consistently putting up 4500 yards and 30+ TDs every season.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
they may not top all of the record setting numbers on OFF from last year, but it'll be close, some will be up, some will be down, but with the DEF much improved we won't have to score 40 points a game to win. stats are great, but what's more important is our record, WINS, and winning in the DIVISION (such as beating GB to a pulp).

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dont give a shit about the offense taking a little step back, all I care about is the defense leaping forward. We no longer have a backup QB playing beyond his level against awful defenses so an expectation that the offense will drop a little make sense

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not worried about the O until Jay goes down. Go get a vet that can throw the ball.

Liked Posts:
Although you do bring some good points to the table, let's also look at some of the team the Bears do play that they can compensate with.

The Bears play the 2 worst overall defenses last year a combination of 3 times: Dallas (1) & Minnesota (2).

They also play Atlanta (27th) & New England (26th).

While San Francisco (5th) will be tough, Carolina (2nd) is SURE to digress a pretty good amount with loses of a few key pieces including Mike Mitchell, Captain Munnerlyn and not much of an offense to hurt the defense.

Each year the Packers and Lions are supposed to have good defenses and they never really do. So, overall I'm not too concerned.

Another idea to keep in mind is the fact that the Bears offense produced at a high rate with the added pressure of the 30th ranked defense in the league to hurt them.

As most coaches will say, when a team is not remotely balanced such as the Bears offense (top in league) & their defense (bottom in league), it's hard for to hold any consistency for the offense to help the defense.

I would guess with an even "middle of the road" defense, this offense can become more complete and keep a top 5 rank.

Like another poster said, an average defense and a top 10 offense will get them into the playoffs (it's what teams like the Bengals and Patriots do each year).

Last edited:

Mad Hater

Liked Posts:
No way this offense regresses in my opinion. A second year with pretty much all the same guys? I'm hoping we start hot and end even hotter!

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:

What’s the problem?

Anyway…

Not exactly.

Depends how you look at it. I think they will take a step back in passing yards and increase in rushing yards since we won't be playing catch up due to our obliterated D. So total yards will probably go down, but our efficiency might go up

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

What’s the problem?

Anyway…

Not exactly.

That McCown is gone?

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
As most coaches will say, when a team is not remotely balanced such as the Bears offense (top in league) & their defense (bottom in league), it's hard for to maintain balance.

Yes, most coaches would say that when a team is not remotely balanced it's hard for to maintain balance. Most coaches have the Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

Liked Posts:
Yes, most coaches would say that when a team is not remotely balanced it's hard for to maintain balance. Most coaches have the Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.

I'm really glad you called me out for sounding like John Madden right there. Apparently I wasn't paying much attention trying to convey that point into text.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Keep this in mind as well...............

------------------------------

Trestman: We Want To Run 100 More Plays This Year

July 25, 2014 11:16 AM
451771565.jpg

Marc Trestman. (Michael Thomas/Getty Images)

“Last year, we were kind of in the early stages of our offense,” Trestman said on the Mully and Hanley Show on 670 The Score on Friday morning. “We just found we were better out of the huddle and working from that format.

There were teams that were ahead of us offensively that ran over 100 more plays than we did — two or three teams that did. If we can add 100 plays to what we already did, that would be a great starting point.”

To reach that goal, the Bears would likely need to use the no-huddle more often, which they didn’t do much of last year. Using Trestman’s metrics, 100 more plays over 16 games would amount to six or seven extra offensive plays per game.

While that’s not a culture shock, it would be six or seven more chances for the likes of Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Matt Forte to get the ball.

Source ....

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
I'll be more impressed when Trestman says something like "we want to score 100 more points this year".

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'll be more impressed when Trestman says something like "we want to score 100 more points this year".
... Per game...

---> Sent from above.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
You mentioned all the reasons we'll regress this year. But you failed to balance it with the reasons we'll improve. Here they are:

1. Same players in the same system.
2. We had 2 rookies on the right side of the line last season.
3. Marquess Wilson's development
4. We supposedly have a better backup RB.
5. Trestman is gonna open up the playbook this year.
6. Cutler is in the second year of the same system.
7. Bears have an improved D which most likely won't have the same number of injuries as last season (which means longer time of possession, more takeaways)
8. We had a career backup playing more than a third of the games last season.
9. All those teams you mentioned with great defenses may regress this season. It's not impossible. It happened to us.