Bears offense going to take a step back?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the offense will be about the same as last year as far as being effective. I think the defense will play a roll. I think the offense could slow down a bit, be more conservative, if they didn't have to score 21++ points per game. If the defense can stop someone, even occasionally, the play calling or philosophy may change a bit.

Still, by the end of the season Alshon was no longer a secret and they still couldn't stop him or Marshall. The problem with any great WR tandem is that it puts offenses in a tough situation. A situation that is made worse by a legitimate TE and pass catching RB. If the Bears can find their slot receiver it just gets worse for the defenses. Barring injury that won't change. In addition, all of the skill positions should be on the exact same page this year--the offense isn't brand new.

Schedules difficulties change every year. While they are a good barometer for what may be coming they are not absolute. Any one of the top defenses can get worse; see the Bears from 2012-2013. No one will know until the season gets started.

In any event, I think the offense is going to be really, really good.

Baredown3rdplace

Liked Posts:
Too early for predictions, but year two seems to be very good under Trestman's NFL stops as OC. I can't see the offense going noticeably backwards unless we're on to the 3rd string QB.

Lmao... do you always act as if you did research then spout bullshit straight from your ass? Allow me to inform you that his history displays the exact opposite... regardless of how it "seems" to you, you obviously didnt think it seemed one way or the other because you obviously are clueless on the matter.

This is a quote from a recent article about Trestmans 2nd year woes as a NFL OC... hence the reason he ended up in the CFL to begin with:

"Marc Trestman has been a NFL offensive coordinator four times. one of the four he was fired after the first year. The other three times he was a coordinator his teams averaged the following changes from his first year as a offensive coordinator to his second:

1,117 fewer passing yards
9.3 fewer touchdown passes
4.7 more interceptions
106 fewer points scored

And an amazing 20 point average decline in passer rating..."

Anyways, if this offense is anywhere close to as good as last year I will be VERY happy. It is common knowledge Trestman has very "gimmicky" offenses, and once his bag of tricks is figured out, thats it. He also has a history of not being able to overcome those issues. Maybe as a HC it will be different, maybe he has learned from the past, or either way perhaps the great talent we have will shine through regardless.

"Year two seems to be very good for trestman as OC" LMFAO!!!!

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
One big key that the OP and other naysayers seem to be overlooking is the recent rule changes pertaining to PI. With the new rules in place, an offense with as many big targets with the ability to win jump balls such as the Bears' will be at a huge advantage. The bears O was one of the best when passing down field and these rule changes will only make them that much more deadly. Couple that with a larger role for another WR with a huge catch radius (Wilson) and the natural progression that will come from the team being more comfortable in the offense and I find it hard to believe that this team will regress very much, if at all.

The only thing that may end up bottlenecking the O's output next year IMO, will be a more capable defensive unit. This can lead to less yards due to shorter fields and less scoring due to the team electing to run the clock down in situations where they'd have to keep on the gas to avoid comebacks. Other than that, I don't see how the 15th ranked defensive strength of schedule will somehow "hinder" offensive production.

Also to answer the OP's question of "what happened?" vs the eagles' poor stop unit, I question how many offense's would put up more than 11 points when essentially starting the game down 21. It was an unfortunate game but I doubt it would play out that way very often. Its also worth noting the entire starting offense was pulled with a quarter left to go. Believe me, I remember that fact very vividly as my fantasy team was in the finals and I lost by 1 point due to this as I had Marshall, Jeffrey, and Forte all going that night in a ppr league. Even one more series would've essentially guaranteed me the championship.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kromer's influence on offense should not be overlooked.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me, it is pretty far fetched to say that Trestman's offense is "tricky". What's tricky about it? It seems pretty standard stuff to me, other than maybe the use of Jeffrey's on end arounds a bit. And it also is pretty far fetched to say that the production of the offense will somehow fall off because of his history.

A team can have the most brilliant conceptual designer in the world but if you do not have the horses to man the skill positions and the meat up front, your offense will be crushed by a good defense. I say in Marshall, Bennett, Forte, Cutler, and Jeffrey, they have five stud performers at the skilled positions along with a good offensive line. These five having been on the same unit together last year will reap great dividends this year. Cutler should not have to force the ball because one of his top four guys will not be able to be covered by any defense. We also, have a couple of other guys on the bench that can also contribute and be able to rest and protect our guys
from serious injury.

The big key of this season is to protect Cutler and Forte from serious injury. The O-line and Cutler's health is the key to the team's success or lack of it.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lmao... do you always act as if you did research then spout bullshit straight from your ass? Allow me to inform you that his history displays the exact opposite... regardless of how it "seems" to you, you obviously didnt think it seemed one way or the other because you obviously are clueless on the matter.

This is a quote from a recent article about Trestmans 2nd year woes as a NFL OC... hence the reason he ended up in the CFL to begin with:

"Marc Trestman has been a NFL offensive coordinator four times. one of the four he was fired after the first year. The other three times he was a coordinator his teams averaged the following changes from his first year as a offensive coordinator to his second:

1,117 fewer passing yards
9.3 fewer touchdown passes
4.7 more interceptions
106 fewer points scored

And an amazing 20 point average decline in passer rating..."

Anyways, if this offense is anywhere close to as good as last year I will be VERY happy. It is common knowledge Trestman has very "gimmicky" offenses, and once his bag of tricks is figured out, thats it. He also has a history of not being able to overcome those issues. Maybe as a HC it will be different, maybe he has learned from the past, or either way perhaps the great talent we have will shine through regardless.

"Year two seems to be very good for trestman as OC" LMFAO!!!!

This guy friggin nailed it in august.
Hey bare down... You have any lottery numbers for us?

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
It's all Jay's fault, or at least that's the message you'll get on here. It's a combination of several factors: injuries, Jay with too many TO, Trestman not adjusting to the league's adjustment, O line struggling, and playing from behind all game.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's all Jay's fault, or at least that's the message you'll get on here. It's a combination of several factors: injuries, Jay with too many TO, Trestman not adjusting to the league's adjustment, O line struggling, and playing from behind all game.

.....but ain't it jay's turnovers that puts us in a "playing from behind all game."......situation

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
.....but ain't it jay's turnovers that puts us in a "playing from behind all game."......situation
No

The Defense allows opponents to march 80 yards on them after kick offs or 30 yards from a turn over. Doesnt seam to matter. If the D could stop anyone, it would make most of the Offenses miscues irrelevant. I'm reminded of 2006 when we had a dominant defense with a QB who was more prone to erratic play and turn overs than Jay has been... and we went to the Superbowl. Not getting into why we didnt win it with that QB.. only to say we made it there with a lesser QB than Jay in part because the Defense was good. If this Defense was half as good... we'ld have much better results.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No

The Defense allows opponents to march 80 yards on them after kick offs or 30 yards from a turn over. Doesnt seam to matter. If the D could stop anyone, it would make most of the Offenses miscues irrelevant. I'm reminded of 2006 when we had a dominant defense with a QB who was more prone to erratic play and turn overs than Jay has been... and we went to the Superbowl. Not getting into why we didnt win it with that QB.. only to say we made it there with a lesser QB than Jay in part because the Defense was good. If this Defense was half as good... we'ld have much better results.

BTD! How have you been?

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
This was due to Jay Cutler being hurt half the regular season.

Meaning the team only scored when McCown was the QB?

The Bears scored over 30 one time in 2013 when McCown started and finished

27 against Green Bay after they lost Rodgers after 2 pass attempts
23 against Baltimore in overtime, which the Bears were greatly aided by the weather
21 against St. Louis
20 against Minnesota in overtime
45 against Dallas

Games Cutler started and finished

24 against Cincinnati
31 against Minnesota
40 against Pittsburgh
32 against Detroit
18 against New Orleans
27 against New York Giants
38 against Cleveland
11 against Philadelphia
28 against Green Bay

Cutler had 226 ypg
McCown had 224 ypg

I love the haters and their attempts to rip Cutler with garbage like this. I mean the guy throws plenty of INT to use as ammo when saying you don't like him. So why do people say stupid shit like this instead? Like the myth that McCown spread it around more last year. When the truth was that he actually targeted Marshall at a higher % than Cutler did. At least keep it in reality when bashing the guy. It's not like he doesn't have real issues that can be critiqued, so people left with a need to make shit up.

The funny part was watching how absolutely awful McCown looked against the Bears and seeing so many Bears fans get pissy about it when it was pointed out to them. McCown is a garbage QB who had a miracle 5 game run, which involved a bunch of INT thrown directly into the opposing teams hands that were not held onto. Like I said last year, that kind of luck doesn't last & that this year he would go back to being who he is. An INT machine that doesn't also have the TD to counter the INT he is throwing all year long. He also panics when under pressure and makes horrid mistakes while under pressure. Not that Cutler isn't capable of doing the same under pressure but McCown was not the answer & he certainly is not the only reason that team put up big offensive numbers last year. If you actually believe that then you weren't paying close enough attention.

mecha

Liked Posts:
this is the only board I've ever been at that locks threads for the weirdest reasons and allows people to necro 2-3 threads a day.

I loved how McCown played for the Bears, even in 2011. but the dude had a horseshoe up his ass last year with the interceptions. people used to talk about putting Kyle Orton's brain in Rex Grossman's body to make a perfect QB... same analogy applies with McCown and Cutler. I didn't think he had an abnormally weak arm, but there were certain passes he couldn't make that Cutler could.

people need to take off the rose colored glasses though. they act like McCown had a 7 game win streak, he didn't. his stats and Cutler's stats, minus the interceptions, were almost identical. that tells me the 'system' actually worked last year, and now it doesn't. call it people figured out Trestman's offense, the playcalling is entirely different.

cobbland

Liked Posts:
Meaning the team only scored when McCown was the QB?

The Bears scored over 30 one time in 2013 when McCown started and finished

27 against Green Bay after they lost Rodgers after 2 pass attempts
All 27 points scored came on offense.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311040gnb.htm

23 against Baltimore in overtime, which the Bears were greatly aided by the weather
Offense scored 16 of the 23 points. 7 came on David Bass interception return.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311170chi.htm

21 against St. Louis
Offense scored all 21 points. As bad as the defense played that game, the team was only down by 6 with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311240ram.htm

20 against Minnesota in overtime
Offense scored all 20 points
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312010min.htm

45 against Dallas
Offense scores all 45 points.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312090chi.htm

Games Cutler started and finished

24 against Cincinnati
Offense scored all 24 points.
1st td against Bengals, the offense only had to go 36 yards. It was set up by a Tillman interception.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309080chi.htm

31 against Minnesota
Offense only scored 24 of the 31 points. Tim Jennings returned an interception for a touchdown. Offense should have scored more than that, since Hester had a 80 yard kickoff return, but Cutler tossed a redzone INT.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309150chi.htm

40 against Pittsburgh
Offense only scored 26 of the 40 points. The defense scored 2 touchdowns (interception return and fumble return).
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309220pit.htm

32 against Detroit
Game was out of reach in the 4th quarter when offense reduced the final deficit. Corey Wootton forced fumble gives Chicago a chance to score again when Detroit was running out the clock.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201309290det.htm

18 against New Orleans
Offense scored all 18.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201310060chi.htm

27 against New York Giants
Offense only scored 20 of 27 points. Tim Jennings scored on an interception return.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201310100chi.htm

38 against Cleveland
Offense scored 31-38 points. 7 comes on Zachary Bowman interception return.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312150cle.htm

11 against Philadelphia
Bad game for everyone involved.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312220phi.htm

28 against Green Bay
Offense scores all 28 points.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201312290chi.htm

Cutler had 226 ypg

McCown had 224 ypg

I love the haters and their attempts to rip Cutler with garbage like this. I mean the guy throws plenty of INT to use as ammo when saying you don't like him. So why do people say stupid shit like this instead? Like the myth that McCown spread it around more last year. When the truth was that he actually targeted Marshall at a higher % than Cutler did. At least keep it in reality when bashing the guy. It's not like he doesn't have real issues that can be critiqued, so people left with a need to make shit up.

The funny part was watching how absolutely awful McCown looked against the Bears and seeing so many Bears fans get pissy about it when it was pointed out to them. McCown is a garbage QB who had a miracle 5 game run, which involved a bunch of INT thrown directly into the opposing teams hands that were not held onto. Like I said last year, that kind of luck doesn't last & that this year he would go back to being who he is. An INT machine that doesn't also have the TD to counter the INT he is throwing all year long. He also panics when under pressure and makes horrid mistakes while under pressure. Not that Cutler isn't capable of doing the same under pressure but McCown was not the answer & he certainly is not the only reason that team put up big offensive numbers last year. If you actually believe that then you weren't paying close enough attention.

The overall scoring was aided by the defense getting turnovers (or scoring themselves) or giving the offense a short field to work with in 5 of Cutler's starts, and only 1 of McCown's.

You left out the Washington game, where the team finished with 41 points. Before Cutler's injury the offense scored 10 points (7 of which was set up by the Tillman interception, giving them a short field). After McCown entered, the offense would account for 24 of the final 31 points the team scored (with 7 coming on the punt return from Hester in the 2nd quarter).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201310200was.htm

And the second Detroit game:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201311100chi.htm

3rd N Long

Liked Posts:
The overall scoring was aided by the defense getting turnovers (or scoring themselves) or giving the offense a short field to work with in 5 of Cutler's starts, and only 1 of McCown's.

You left out the Washington game, where the team finished with 41 points. Before Cutler's injury the offense scored 10 points (7 of which was set up by the Tillman interception, giving them a short field). After McCown entered, the offense would account for 24 of the final 31 points the team scored (with 7 coming on the punt return from Hester in the 2nd quarter).

I noticed you didn't bother to do that same Sherlock Holmes work with the Washington game.

You forgot to mention that right after Cutler left the game Hester returned an 81 yard punt return to make it 17-17. Then shortly after that Forte Knocked out a 50 yard TD run giving the Bears 24 points. Feel free though to make it sound like McCown racked up most of the 41 points for them.

cobbland

Liked Posts:

I noticed you didn't bother to do that same Sherlock Holmes work with the Washington game.

You forgot to mention that right after Cutler left the game Hester returned an 81 yard punt return to make it 17-17. Then shortly after that Forte Knocked out a 50 yard TD run giving the Bears 24 points. Feel free though to make it sound like McCown racked up most of the 41 points for them.

14kwrhk.gif

***Sighs***