Derrick Rose 2.0

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
This is exactly the stuff I want to hear from Rose. Rose's game needs to take the next step. He's taken a lot of abuse up to now....and seems to never get any calls while he getting clobbered. He's just too small to bang with the redwoods, imo.

I've wanted him to adjust his game, be more of a PG as far as running the offense. His quickness alone, can take the opposing PG out of their game. I don't think he has to take over the game anymore. The Bulls have some weapons that can help.

One thing for sure, imo.... a healthy Rose will make us all happy. A smarter Rose will make the Bulls a lot better. And, imo, a smarter Rose with a chip on his shoulder ......... gonna make the rest of the NBA not so happy!

So what are some of the biggest differences between today's Rose and the one from a few years ago?

"Body control," he said. "I'm able to control my body a little bit more, using my speed. Being smart with my speed, instead of just running wild out there. Just being smart. I'm a smarter player, but I'm mad it took me seven years to learn that."

"I think you will see that next year," he said. "Just trying to [keep] people off my body. I'm using a lot of floaters, using a lot of pull-ups, stuff like that so that I won't get touched as much."

The biggest key in the minds of Rose and Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau is that Rose is playing with more patience.

"I think when I came back last time I wanted it too bad," Rose said. "I was trying to force the game. And this time around I'm just trying to let the game come to me. Of course, be aggressive, but at the same time have control of the game and be smarter. And being able to run the team at the point guard position."

"I was ecstatic about watching him today," Krzyzewski said. "He's better than four years ago. Four years ago, he was 21, and he was just on the verge of becoming who he was going to be. But he had a great practice today. You don't practice like this [every day]. He hasn't been in practices like this. Now [we'll] watch what he does for the next few days."

"Derrick's very bright," Thibodeau said. "I think he's learned from each situation that he's been in. So that was his first comeback really [last year], and I think he had the opportunity to look back and say, 'OK, this is how I want to approach it this time.' So I think he's grown from it. I think the adversity has made him a lot stronger mentally and he's playing patiently. I think he understands exactly where he is."

"Catch and shoot," Rose said. "Hell yeah. I've been doing a lot of catch and shooting, running off floppy [sets]. Just trying to make the game simple. Find ways to score, or find ways to affect the game by not scoring. And me playing the 2 sometimes, coming off a floppy, catching the ball getting to the hole, throwing [alley-]oops. Get other people open with just a live dribble. I think this year will be the first time I have played the most in my career with catching the ball and having a live dribble."

"I'm a totally different player, but it comes with experience," he said, "Just playing, playing through your mistakes. Just playing in an NBA game, you're going to learn. So I'm happy I have people around me to give me advice, learn from people, and I'm happy I have the IQ to actually learn."

I think, sometimes, we forget how good this kid is. If he not only comes back healthy, but comes back smarter, and with a chip on his shoulder, I think we may be in for a ride. I say good for you Derrick.... give 'em hell!

attachment.php

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Look for D Rose's floater to be a real weapon. We saw it a bit in his MVP and following season but I think we will really start to see him knock that down with ease to avoid getting banged up in the paint.

His shooting stroke looks a lot better too.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Only issue with that is if he's drawing less contact, he's drawing less fouls. So that floater and pull up better be money every time.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Only issue with that is if he's drawing less contact, he's drawing less fouls. So that floater and pull up better be money every time.

Not sure I can agree. He's never been that good at drawing fouls, imo. I've seen him get pummeled and not get the call too many times for my liking. He'll still probably get to the line on his quickness alone.

He's just too small to take on 7 footers. The ref's never give him the calls, at least, not many. I'm not crying foul, however (pun intended). I'd gladly give up some free throws and points.

Personally, I'd like to see Derrick become a dbl/dbl guy. Give me 15+ points a night with 10+ assists and I think we'll all be very happy.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure I can agree. He's never been that good at drawing fouls, imo. I've seen him get pummeled and not get the call too many times for my liking. He'll still probably get to the line on his quickness alone.

He's just too small to take on 7 footers. The ref's never give him the calls, at least, not many. I'm not crying foul, however (pun intended). I'd gladly give up some free throws and points.

Personally, I'd like to see Derrick become a dbl/dbl guy. Give me 15+ points a night with 10+ assists and I think we'll all be very happy.
Yeah Rose has always gotten the shaft on foul calls...only exception being the MVP year where I think he got to the line about 8 times per game. I disagree with him being to small to take on the trees in the paint. He's got a really strong upper body and we've see him finish over just about every post player in the league. He's also gotten mugged by every post player in the league. It's really on the refs to make those drives worth the effort. At the same time though, I will also take less free throws and total points if it means Rose is health the entire way.

Liked Posts:
It feels like it's less pressure on him compared to last year and he is definitely more vocal...I just want him (and the rest of the team) to stay healthy all season, win/loss doesn't matter to me because they should be able to make adjustments

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Yeah Rose has always gotten the shaft on foul calls...only exception being the MVP year where I think he got to the line about 8 times per game. I disagree with him being to small to take on the trees in the paint. He's got a really strong upper body and we've see him finish over just about every post player in the league. He's also gotten mugged by every post player in the league. It's really on the refs to make those drives worth the effort. At the same time though, I will also take less free throws and total points if it means Rose is health the entire way.

I didn't mean he couldn't do it, I meant he shouldn't. It wears him down, and as you said, health is #1 right now.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Day 2 - USA practice

And on Day 2 Rose continues to look good and get high praise. Now it's Jim Boeheim ........

"That's my biggest surprise coming in here," Syracuse coach and Team USA assistant Jim Boeheim told ESPNChicago.com, in reference to Rose's performance. "The one thing I was worried about is whether he would be able to step in after so much time [off].

He looks, to me, as good as when we had him in the world championship in '10, when he was at full strength coming [into] an MVP year. He looks very, very good. Obviously, [when] he gets in some games, it will be a little different, but it's not like he hasn't had success in games. He had a lot of success.

"He's been the most impressive guy here."

"They know Derrick's talent," Boeheim said. "You have to be a little surprised at seeing what he's doing. He's looked great. And I'm happy for him because my experience with him in '10 was great and he's just a great kid.

A great kid to coach being part of the world championship team. I'm happy to see a kid come back. All the rehab, all the work -- people don't realize how hard that is. That's not easy. And to see Derrick Rose back, I think it's a great thing, and it will be great for Chicago."

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lets see how this guy plays in real games. Didnt we see this same crap during the first return? He looks great in scrimmages. Wont play in the playoffs. Makes sense, no?

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Lets see how this guy plays in real games. Didnt we see this same crap during the first return? He looks great in scrimmages. Wont play in the playoffs. Makes sense, no?

I don't think his play is the issue, do you really?

Liked Posts:
I think if he has fewer 25-30 shot attempt nights, his points should come easier-at least in theory.

What's somewhat disheartening is that this talk of floaters seems to be said with the idea in mind, he'll be going back to dribbling the air out of the ball looking to create for himself. This notion of him giving up the ball earlier in the shot clock and then moving without the ball is going to be like pulling teeth with him. I hope not but if he's talking about lessening wear and tear by settling for floaters, that seems to be the case.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
I think if he has fewer 25-30 shot attempt nights, his points should come easier-at least in theory.

What's somewhat disheartening is that this talk of floaters seems to be said with the idea in mind, he'll be going back to dribbling the air out of the ball looking to create for himself. This notion of him giving up the ball earlier in the shot clock and then moving without the ball is going to be like pulling teeth with him. I hope not but if he's talking about lessening wear and tear by settling for floaters, that seems to be the case.

This I agree with somewhat. It's time his game took the next step. He said that he needed to score with the Bulls, but not with the USA team. He said he should be able to play defense and dish to the other stars.

I can't wait to see him do this, however. Call me fuckin crazy, but I think the Bulls will be better if he dishes first, and then looks to score. Imo, the more he plays like this, the more efficiently he will score, as you say.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Day 3 - USA practice

John Calipari took notice.......

"Injuries, no one wants to go through that, but they do one of two things," Calipari told ESPNChicago.com. "They make you stronger or they break you down, and it's pretty obvious what it's done to him. ... I said (to him), 'You look great. Your explosiveness is even maybe beyond where it was, which is scary.' And I said, 'You're doing great.'

I ESPECIALLY LIKED THIS QUOTE FROM jOHN.........

"And that's how he is," Calipari said. "That's why he's a great teammate. That's why players want to play with him. Everybody wanted him to come back on their own timetable, but they can joke about it and say what they want, when you look at him now, he did the right thing for himself and [the Chicago Bulls]."

Even Paul George had something for him ........

"He looks better," Indiana Pacers All-Star Paul George said. "He looks like he's coming off the MVP year. He's really been aggressive. He's been flying across the court. We've seen him last year in the regular season; it still looked like he was holding back a little bit. It doesn't look like that here."

In George's mind, the difference in Rose's game is simple.
"I think he's just healthy," George said. "His body is feeling good. His legs is feeling good, and he's healthy in camp."

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

He's just not that type of player though. He is the primary scorer on this team. Or at least he needs to be. I'd be very happy with him scoring about 20 ppg and 8 apg with a 56% TS, 50eFG% while shooting 37% from 3 and about 85% from the FT line.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
He's just not that type of player though. He is the primary scorer on this team. Or at least he needs to be. I'd be very happy with him scoring about 20 ppg and 8 apg with a 56% TS, 50eFG% while shooting 37% from 3 and about 85% from the FT line.

Well, he'll definitely need to change a little, but that's what I'm hoping for. I don't think Rose needs to be 'as much of' a scorer than in the past. I think Thib's likes Rose playing on the USA team cuz of that. With the scorers he'll have there, he won't have to. I'm thinking Thib's is hoping that rubs off when he plays next for the Bulls. I like hearing these kinds of things...

"I love the way he's playing right now," Thibodeau said. "Because he's showing a lot of patience, he's making good decisions, he's finding the rhythm of the game. I think when he plays like that, the game is easy for everybody.

"I don't see him forcing anything," Bulls general manager Gar Forman said. "I see him kind of letting the game come to him -- and then, when he's got opportunities to make plays, he makes them.

He's playing with, it appears to me, great confidence. And when there's an opportunity to make plays, he's making them and he's getting others involved. Defensively, he's been terrific."

And for the fans that continually bash the guy....he's still human, how 'bout we cut him some slack for now?

"I felt like the first time I came back, I felt like it was damn near like a job instead of just going out there and having fun," he said. "When I came back last fall, I felt like it was a job. I wasn't smiling. I wasn't enjoying the game. I was trying not to mess up, and, with me, I usually just go out there and play. Me playing at least is something good. But at the time, it was just too much going on, and I think that was just a dark side for me. Just a dark period of time."

Cerebral

Liked Posts:
To me, i'll give him some slack when he starts producing for the Bulls. I might not be one of his biggest or loudest critics, but I don't think everything that went down with him was handled the right way. That being said, i'm glad he didn't come back from his torn ACL regardless of what the doctors said, I believe it was the right move.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think his play is the issue, do you really?

Not playing is an issue. When he came back and was playing, he wasnt really Derrick Rose. Thats an issue.

Lets see how he plays when he once again is the only guy on his team who can create his own shot. All we have is words right now.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps if I assume that Rose will injure himself every time he steps on the court, I will prevent any feelings of disappointment...

PREPARE FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF HINRICH STARTING EVERYONE!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps if I assume that Rose will injure himself every time he steps on the court, I will prevent any feelings of disappointment...

PREPARE FOR ANOTHER YEAR OF HINRICH STARTING EVERYONE!

Man......... I was having a nice early morning.....Thanks a lot for wrecking it! If I don't break 90 today, it's all your fault:)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he has improved his outside shooting, he very well might score more than he has before or at least equal it. Its going to be interesting what kind of offensive sets THibs is going to run. Of course everything will change if they are able to bring in Gasol.