A's acquire Lester and Gomes for Cespedes

Liked Posts:
Cespedes, for all intents, is a decent major leaguer who returned a very good pitcher. Both teams won this trade.

It makes you wonder what Beane actually thinks of the players he gave up for Shark. Becuase right now you have the slurpers drooling about how Shark returned a better package then Price.

If you're a small market team and you flip players as much as Beane does, you get a pass more than other teams. And you probably should. He's lost trades. His hit rate doesn't have to be all that incredible.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you're a small market team and you flip players as much as Beane does, you get a pass more than other teams. And you probably should. He's lost trades. His hit rate doesn't have to be all that incredible.

his hit rate is pretty solid especially under the teams restrictions in the recent past. I would love to see how he would be with a team with a huge budget.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
his hit rate is pretty solid especially under the teams restrictions in the recent past. I would love to see how he would be with a team with a huge budget.
He had that opportunity and passed

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Because if there's one thing the Cubs have been over the past 105 years, its winners.

And nice backtrack, so basically this plan is full of shit and the Cubs will remain losers based on your logic.

Its humorous to see people fall all over themselves to defend the Cubs.

Derp

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because if there's one thing the Cubs have been over the past 105 years, its winners.

And nice backtrack, so basically this plan is full of shit and the Cubs will remain losers based on your logic.

Its humorous to see people fall all over themselves to defend the Cubs.

How did I backtrack? I mentioned in both posts that players take the most money that they are offered.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How did I backtrack? I mentioned in both posts that players take the most money that they are offered.

thats not always true. in all sports players take discounts to be with specific teams. it happens all the time. add lester to the CO player wish list that never happens. you have a history of cubs getting players. its awesome.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
thats not always true. in all sports players take discounts to be with specific teams. it happens all the time. add lester to the CO player wish list that never happens. you have a history of cubs getting players. its awesome.

I've been pretty vocal about staying away from Lester recently. He's going to cost too much money and isn't an ace. He's closer to a 3, maybe a 2. That being said, if the Cubs offer him the most money, I think he's signing with them. If they don't, he won't. I want them to stay away from them.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I've been pretty vocal about staying away from Lester recently. He's going to cost too much money and isn't an ace. He's closer to a 3, maybe a 2. That being said, if the Cubs offer him the most money, I think he's signing with them. If they don't, he won't. I want them to stay away from them.
He's not an ace? He's a three maybe a two?

You should just say you know nothing and I do mean nothing about baseball

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not an ace? He's a three maybe a two?

You should just say you know nothing and I do mean nothing about baseball

How is he an ace? He's not had a FIP below 3.5 since 2010. He's never had an ERA below 3.2. He's just not an ace, I don't see how you can say that he is. But I'm welcome to hear how you think so.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
How is he an ace? He's not had a FIP below 3.5 since 2010. He's never had an ERA below 3.2. He's just not an ace, I don't see how you can say that he is. But I'm welcome to hear how you think so.

He has chalked up over 200 innings in 5 of the 6 years and will be 6 out of 7. He has a 3.64 career ERA and this is during a stretch when the AL East was by far the best division in baseball. You also should not be using FIP like that. FIP should be used sparingly. His ERA+ has been well above average except one year. Also, what is an ace anymore? They are new studies showing that true Ace status is only lasting 2 to 3 years for pitchers. Some are longer like Kershaw but overall the life span of a true ace is short. Look at Verlander. But, back to my point. He has won two world series. Has a post season ERA of 2.11 and is a 200 innings eater. He is def. number 1 caliber.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has chalked up over 200 innings in 5 of the 6 years and will be 6 out of 7. He has a 3.64 career ERA and this is during a stretch when the AL East was by far the best division in baseball. You also should not be using FIP like that. FIP should be used sparingly. His ERA+ has been well above average except one year. Also, what is an ace anymore? They are new studies showing that true Ace status is only lasting 2 to 3 years for pitchers. Some are longer like Kershaw but overall the life span of a true ace is short. Look at Verlander. But, back to my point. He has won two world series. Has a post season ERA of 2.11 and is a 200 innings eater. He is def. number 1 caliber.

But he's not. A 3.64 ERA is not a number 1. He's pitched well in the playoffs and there's no doubt he'd pitch well here, but if it is me, I'm not going to give him ace money, as he is not an ace.

Furthermore, he's pitching like an ace this year. They are numbers that he is not going to be able to reproduce. He will regress to the mean. If you look at his velocity, it is also down. Also, his groundball rate is down, which is another cause for concern.

I think the best comparison for Lester is James Shields. They are basically the same pitcher except Lester is going to get probably 100 million more than Shields.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
But he's not. A 3.64 ERA is not a number 1. He's pitched well in the playoffs and there's no doubt he'd pitch well here, but if it is me, I'm not going to give him ace money, as he is not an ace.

Furthermore, he's pitching like an ace this year. They are numbers that he is not going to be able to reproduce. He will regress to the mean. If you look at his velocity, it is also down. Also, his groundball rate is down, which is another cause for concern.

I think the best comparison for Lester is James Shields. They are basically the same pitcher except Lester is going to get probably 100 million more than Shields.

So, I am guessing you only consider like 4 people in the league an Ace? Cause not many have done what Lester has done. Your off on this. He will be paid like a number 1 because he is a number 1. No, he is not King Felix or Kershaw because they are the best of the best.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I break down each rotation spot as high medium and low range...

Like Aces, not every Ace is in the HOF catagory like a Glavine , Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson type..

I look at lester and see him as a Low range Ace in AL with the Numbers he put up there against a hitters league with DH , and could be a Medium range Ace in NL which should see his numbers improve. mostly his Whip, ERA, and Ks...

What will it take to get him this offseason ?

I think with him being 31 next season , the team that willing to give him a guaranteed 5th year with the money should land him..

Problem that the Cubs may find themselves in is that if their competing with a team that already built to win in 2015 , they may need to overpay in money and or years to get him unless he intrigued by a talented young team that about ready to roll and wants to be part of trying to win that world series with the Cubs..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I break down each rotation spot as high medium and low range...

Like Aces, not every Ace is in the HOF catagory like a Glavine , Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson type..

I look at lester and see him as a Low range Ace in AL with the Numbers he put up there against a hitters league with DH , and could be a Medium range Ace in NL which should see his numbers improve. mostly his Whip, ERA, and Ks...

What will it take to get him this offseason ?

I think with him being 31 next season , the team that willing to give him a guaranteed 5th year with the money should land him..

Problem that the Cubs may find themselves in is that if their competing with a team that already built to win in 2015 , they may need to overpay in money and or years to get him unless he intrigued by a talented young team that about ready to roll and wants to be part of trying to win that world series with the Cubs..

All pitchers get overpaid now. He will go where there is the most money. He has 2 rings already. He is looking for his pay day. The two things to consider is his relationship with Theo and now that he has been traded he does not cost a compensation pick. It seems that is something the Cubs look for with any FA. Lester is a rubber arm lefty that will be fine with the way he pitches. Guy is a proven winner that eats up innings. That is def. a number 1. I agree with chibears post of where he sits in the realm of numbers 1's.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So then the Cubs would be front runners for Lester? Would they dare go after Maeda, too? If the Yankees get involved, they would pay more than the Cubs. Wouldn't they be considered the landing spot. They need a retooled pitching staff, don't they?