A's acquire Lester and Gomes for Cespedes

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you know how FIP works and why you have to take it with a grain of salt?

Why, in fact, I do. It neutralizes things that pitches can't control, like hits. The reason some take it with a grain of salt is because of cases like EJax. He gets hit around. I think it's a great stat, but fWAR uses it exclusively and it doesn't show the full picture, which is why I said to not look so heavily into his fWAR.

We can debate FIP all day, but his ERA is still not top tier. You're not even acknowledging that.

I think that this year he has been a number one, yes. But James Shields is basically the same pitcher as he is and he will come at a much, much, lower price. I'd rather take him at a fair rate than overpay for Lester.

He has had one bad year. He is the definition of a 1. No he is not a top 5 pitcher in the game but he is a guy anyone would give the ball to on any day. The definition of a number 1

That's a pretty subjective definition.

I wasn't even highlighting his 2012. It was very flukey. Even all his other seasons sans this one he is a a 2 or a 3.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have a different definition of a number one. Also with FIP you can give up a 100 hits and 99 runs but as long as you don't walk, hit a batter or give up a homerun it is 0. It's why it's flawed. Also his era is top 30. How many teams are there in the majors? You also don't acknowledge he pitched in the al and the al east as well. He is not top tier but he also isn't getting paid like a top tier. Tanaka got 155 million and Lester is more proven

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have a different definition of a number one. Also with FIP you can give up a 100 hits and 99 runs but as long as you don't walk, hit a batter or give up a homerun it is 0. It's why it's flawed. Also his era is top 30. How many teams are there in the majors? You also don't acknowledge he pitched in the al and the al east as well. He is not top tier but he also isn't getting paid like a top tier. Tanaka got 155 million and Lester is more proven

If you want to pay him that kind of money, that's your call. I want us to stay far away from it because we will have to overpay for him.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also a great blurb on FIP from Tom Tango.
Just because FIP doesn’t consider a player’s performance on batted balls
in play or with holding runners, etc, doesn’t mean that it thinks that all
players are equal in those respects.
FIP is one angle. It just so happens that FIP is a huge angle, with OBP
for batters is just a big angle.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
If you want to pay him that kind of money, that's your call. I want us to stay far away from it because we will have to overpay for him.

And if they pay for him like they attempted to do with Tanaka, I don't believe it costs them a draft pick. I could be wrong.

If the Cubs are ever going to get into competing, they are going to have to lay out the cash sometime. I would rather take a chance on Lester than Scherzer personally. I like lefties if I can have them, and when they are weather tested, I like them even more.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

This team can support a 120 mil payroll on the 40 man. What they need to stop doing is making knee jerk reaction signings like Jackson was and trying to flip pitchers.

My pecking order is Maeda then Lester. Scherzer should have Q offer attached and I expect a 200 mil to sign him. Lester I wouldn't be surprised if 150 buys him with no Q-offer.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL

Coming from a Randy Wells nut sucker, this is adorable.

You know Tom Tango is a pretty well respected name. He is so respected that prior to consulting for the Cubs, he worked for the Mariners and Blue Jays.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You know Tom Tango is a pretty well respected name. He is so respected that prior to consulting for the Cubs, he worked for the Mariners and Blue Jays.

The point isn't about Tom Tango's credibility. The point is CO used FIP to say Randy Wells was a good pitcher, and now he's not a big fan of it because somebody on Fangraphs says so.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The point isn't about Tom Tango's credibility. The point is CO used FIP to say Randy Wells was a good pitcher, and now he's not a big fan of it because somebody on Fangraphs says so.

That was how many years ago?

Move on. I have.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i just thanked co on accident trying to thank silence...how do i remove thanks from tapatalk????