Bos trades Lackey to Cards

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Boston competing with the bottom third teams for 2015 top pick?

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was about to post this... meh he's better then Masterson i suppose.

Liked Posts:
I think St Louis lost this trade if it is indeed essentially:

StL: Lackey
Bos: Craig + Kelly

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lackey has a super cheap option club option next year, and there is no doubt in my mind that Lackey improves once he gets to St. Louis.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah 500k for a year of Lackey is pretty nice.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think St Louis lost this trade if it is indeed essentially:

StL: Lackey
Bos: Craig + Kelly

I think they killed it, especially with the 500K option next year. Allen was nothign special and Kelly is just a 4/5 pitcher.

Liked Posts:
I think they killed it, especially with the 500K option next year. Allen was nothign special and Kelly is just a 4/5 pitcher.

And you think wrong. It's not a certainty it won't work out for St Louis but it's not likely. For it to be a good trade Lackey has to be > than Kelly and Craig. The Cardinals are buying high on Lackey and selling low on Craig. Kelly on his own is just as likely to be good next year as is Lackey. Lackeys age and inconsistency work against him. And then they give Boston an additional hedge in Craig at a time when offense is in short supply.

It looks like the Red Sox have weighed in on whether there's currently more value in offense vs pitching. It looks like they're taking the position that the low run production is more about a scarcity of offense than it is quality pitching.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And you think wrong. It's not a certainty it won't work out for St Louis but it's not likely. For it to be a good trade Lackey has to be > than Kelly and Craig. The Cardinals are buying high on Lackey and selling low on Craig. Kelly on his own is just as likely to be good next year as is Lackey. Lackeys age and inconsistency work against him. And then they give Boston an additional hedge in Craig at a time when offense is in short supply.

It looks like the Red Sox have weighed in on whether there's currently more value in offense vs pitching. It looks like they're taking the position that the low run production is more about a scarcity of offense than it is quality pitching.

Joe Kelly has never been worth more than 1 win. In the NL Central. So by going to the AL East, he is going to improve his numbers? So much so that he will outweigh Lackey, whose worst seasons have been 1.6 wins?

I'm calling bullshit. Lackey is a 2 or 3 for the Cardinals. Joe Kelly is a replacement level player. Cardinals got a great deal here. Kelly and Craig were also doing literally nothing to help them this year. Lackey bolsters their rotation and improves their offense by getting rid of Craig.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Uh oh..CO and I agree....cray cray

Liked Posts:
Joe Kelly has never been worth more than 1 win. In the NL Central. So by going to the AL East, he is going to improve his numbers? So much so that he will outweigh Lackey, whose worst seasons have been 1.6 wins?

I'm calling bullshit. Lackey is a 2 or 3 for the Cardinals. Joe Kelly is a replacement level player. Cardinals got a great deal here. Kelly and Craig were also doing literally nothing to help them this year. Lackey bolsters their rotation and improves their offense by getting rid of Craig.

Kelly has never been a starter for a whole season but he's 26 and Lackey is 35. After 266 innings pitched in his career, Kelly's ERA is 3.25.

That's some awesome analysis there.

Liked Posts:
Btw, this trade looks like each team overvalued what was done against them by each of these players in the World Series. Kelly, Craig, and Lackey all did ok in the World Series.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lackey has a team option for league minimum. thats great for the cards

Derek Nichol

Liked Posts:
I agree that St. Louis lost this trade. I wouldn't have given up both Craig and Kelly for Lackey. Boston got the best of St. Louis. And as a cubs fan I love it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

His ERA in the AL is 3.60. That's pretty decent. He'll be good in the Cards rotation. Hopefully not great.

But I agree that the Cards sold low on Craig. He still is as productive or more so than Holliday, and cheaper.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Boston competing with the bottom third teams for 2015 top pick?

So Boston has lost Crawford, A-Gon, Beckett, Gomes, Lester, Dempster, Elsbury, Miller, Lackey, and Drew, have a struggling Buchholz and an aging Papi and Pedroia, with a weak free agent market coming up.

They have dealt these players and freed up money, got cost controlled players in return, have a top 3 farm system, are in a large market area and are poised to add players to their homegrown talent when they get to the majors.

Hmmm! Does this sound familiar?