OT: Interesting read on Gordon

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/josh-gordon-and-the-nfls-drug-problem/

I thought I remember seeing a Josh Gordon thread, I searched but couldn't find it...Mods if I missed it can you merge please.

A couple highlights from the article:

But once you look at the details of the case, the questions get bigger than whether a wide receiver smoked weed. For instance: Why does this sport need to test people using a standard along the same lines as the U.S. military’s? Why is Josh Gordon treated like a paroled criminal for his entire career after testing positive twice? Do they really test him 10 times a month? Does it make sense to treat marijuana users the same way we treat PED users? Is there anyone at the NFL who saw the positive test and thought it might be too inconclusive to publicly ban a star player for an entire year? Does it make sense for the NFL to be testing players for marijuana at all? What does the league gain from prosecuting people like this?

Some of that’s genuine confusion from me, not just a bunch of rhetorical questions. My guess on the last one is that the NFL increases its control over players with testing like this — over what players do in their downtime, where they hang out, whom they associate with — and that kind of authority matters to owners. It reminds the players that they’re employees of the NFL, and that playing this sport is a privilege, not a right. It has to be something like that.

It can’t possibly be that the league is so concerned with marijuana that it thinks it’s smart to fight public battles against star players over it. Marijuana isn’t a player safety concern; marijuana isn’t a public safety concern. There’s plenty of evidence that it’s actually healthier than a lot of the painkillers players ingest every week.

While I may feel marijuana should be legalized and find it silly to suspend a player for a year over weed...Josh Gordon knew he what the consequences were and even if his second hand smoke claim is 100% true, he should have known better than to be in a situation that could have questioned whether he was breaking any NFL rules. Still a very dumb move by Gordon, but I do feel a year long ban over an inconclusive failed drug test is a bit much. And yes I know the year long ban is because this isn't the first time he failed a drug test but he didn't test for PED's which I would feel is a little more deserving of a year long suspension.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL has its rules and regulations. Whether you agree with them or not...he knew the rules, put himself in a shitty position......It is Gordon's fault plain and simple.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I thought there was a long thread on this already, but I agree with you gpphat. It's ridiculous that the players even have to worry about getting busted from smoking weed. However, he knew what the rules were.

It's especially when NFL players can slap their women around and only get suspended a couple if any at all.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The NFL has its rules and regulations. Whether you agree with them or not...he knew the rules, put himself in a shitty position......It is Gordon's fault plain and simple.

Totally Gordon's fault...no matter if you agree with the rules or not, they are in place and if you break them you pay the consequences. After he was put in the stage 3 drug program with the NFL he should have kept himself out of any situation that could potentially get him in trouble. I won't ever understand players like Gordon and Blackmon who repeatedly screw up like this over weed. I enjoy smoking but if I were in a job that randomly drug tests me I wouldn't be smoking at all.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Totally Gordon's fault...no matter if you agree with the rules or not, they are in place and if you break them you pay the consequences. After he was put in the stage 3 drug program with the NFL he should have kept himself out of any situation that could potentially get him in trouble. I won't ever understand players like Gordon and Blackmon who repeatedly screw up like this over weed. I enjoy smoking but if I were in a job that randomly drug tests me I wouldn't be smoking at all.

Its called assessing your priorities with a mature mind.....Gordon is not there.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Its called assessing your priorities with a mature mind.....Gordon is not there.

No he is not, which is an absolute shame because of the talent he has. which makes stand up players like Jeffery (he seems that way at least) that much better in my mind. He has his head on right and is out there playing at a high level. Gordon could be one of the best if not the best WR in the game but he keeps screwing up and probably won't see the field this year

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The amount he went over is pretty small, even the olympic committee has tolerance of 150 I believe(did not read this article, sorry if it was mentioned).

Bones40

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty pissed at this whole situation. One of the most exciting, young, up and coming super stars in the game and he gets suspended for a year over an inconclusive drug test.

I'm pissed at Gordon more than anything, but I'm also pissed at the NFL. This whole thing is just bad business for the NFL on every level. They gain nothing from having such a strong stance on marijuana and especially on this suspension.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Especially since so many players smoke too, but they stop for their ONE test a year and then are free to roll for the rest of the year.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree that losing your job over weed is stupid.

But also agree that the NFL is dealing with kids that just got handed millions. They need to be able to enforce codes of conduct, if nothing else than to protect the kids from themselves. Or their dumb ass stoner crew they grew up with that don't have anything to lose.

Bearsryde

Liked Posts:
I just think that jobs have rules and whenever it gets legalized all over the country businesses will still have drug tests. I was a huge stoner and then joined the navy and haven't touched it since. He knew what would happen if he broke the rules. That's why Ricky Williams said peace I'm out I wanna just blaze. Until he was broke that is.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
How long before goodell patrols the streets in an unmarked escalade?

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
I just think that jobs have rules and whenever it gets legalized all over the country businesses will still have drug tests. I was a huge stoner and then joined the navy and haven't touched it since. He knew what would happen if he broke the rules. That's why Ricky Williams said peace I'm out I wanna just blaze. Until he was broke that is.

It shouldn't be either you have a job or smoke weed though, that's bullshit. If it's legal you should be able to smoke it as long as you are stoned AT WORK. The Government nor businesses should be able to tell you what to do at home, on your own time.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

I'm in that situation now. I love smoking weed, but I finally got a pretty decent job that pays well enough to live on so I quit.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
The baseline level of the World Anti-Doping Agency is 150 ng/mL...raised from 15 ng/mL after some studies came out.
NFL's baseline level is STILL 15 ng/mL. Josh Gordon's level was 16 ng/mL and his other test vial was 13.8 ng/mL.

He's very unlucky. Because what got him this time was that the 16 ng/mL was labeled "A" (first tested) and the 13.8 ng/mL was labeled "B" (confirmatory vial)

"A" just has to be above limit...and B has to have any level whatsoever to be considered a confirmed failed drug test. If they test the vials the other way around, Josh Gordon is playing this season.

Here's the other thing...how about the fact that the NFL's baseline is 10x stricter than the World Doping Agency. A nanogram is sooooo infinitely miniscule....wow....the way things work...1 000 000 000 nanograms = 1 gram...thats basically 16,000x less than one grain of salt dissolved in a mL of water that got him banned.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Agree that losing your job over weed is stupid.

But also agree that the NFL is dealing with kids that just got handed millions. They need to be able to enforce codes of conduct, if nothing else than to protect the kids from themselves. Or their dumb ass stoner crew they grew up with that don't have anything to lose.

That should be none of their concern and I honestly don't think that's their intention at all. All the rules are meant to do is protect the image of the NFL, I don't think they give a rats ass about the individual players personally.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This has nothing to do with maturity. The guy has substance abuse problems going way back.

Two separate issues:
1. Are you an addict? If yes, get help, recover, stay sober.
2. Weed? Really? If the NBA went after smokers they couldn't field a single 5 man team. The NFL should take weed off the list.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm in that situation now. I love smoking weed, but I finally got a pretty decent job that pays well enough to live on so I quit.

Congrats on the job, sucks they random test though...I lucked out that my job won't drug test unless I give them a reason to test me, so being an accountant I basically would have to pack a bowl in my bosses office for them to drug test me.