Rosenthal: Price to Detroit

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Id rather have Smyly and Franklin than Russell

It's not just Russell though. McKinney has raked since he came over. He's hitting .310/.400/.460 in daytona as a 19 year old. Almora who's considered a top 50 prospect by most hit .283/.306/.406 as a 20 year old there this year. Granted Almora is also a plus to plus plus in CF but the point is McKinney isn't just another guy. He's a legitimate prospect in his own regard.

At this point, Franklin is the same as Olt. He's a failed top prospect. Granted he doesn't have the eye thing and he's younger(23) but he's only hit .214/.291/.358. In honesty, perhaps you could argue both have one main player(Smyly/Russell) and one rebound hope (Straily/Franklin). Most scouts would view Russell as a far better prospect than Smyly as he never was in BA's top 100.

And either way, if the deals are even close in value it's an indication that the cubs did way above what they should have or the Rays didn't get enough because Price is a Cy Young pitcher where as Shark just a year ago was questionable where he fit in as a mid rotation starter or maybe more if he figured it out.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
If the most valuable asset in baseball is the "young star player", I would think the Rays would go for that type of player since they are on a budget. Instead they went with ML ready players that will probably be average types that fill a role. I can understand that. However, Price is one of the best players in the game and is cost controlled for an extra year. I'm sorry, but you HAVE to get a better return than what they got for him. I'm not saying it was a terrible trade for the Rays but it's a trade you have to maximize and I don't feel they did that.