Russel + Bonifacio to the Braves

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Mayo felt he will become a every day catcher that hits for avg will a little pop. His power is his biggest concern but that lessens behind the dish. But, it will take a long time for him to develop.

I see them pushing Schwarber like they did Bryant but as a LF that can catch some games. I agree with Mayo that they will let Caratini take his time and develop as a catcher.

I'm not worried about power. We don't need everybody to be HR hitters. Give me guys who get on base.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Not all of these guys are going to make it.

My guess is he is one more player who has a legitimate chance to be a big league contributor. Most of them are going to fail If you have enough though you will hit on some......right......

I think the Cubs are doing what I have always believed in. Accuracy through quantity of fire. Get as much talent as possible and when over half of it flames out you still have a few quality guys who can help your team moving forward. I don't know anything about this kid, but a 20 year old catcher who is believed to have a good bat is decent return for Russel and Bonifacio.

Right, which is why I get terribly irked when Sox fans repeat "Not all of these guys are going to make it" over, and over again. I think it's pretty obvious that the Cubs are loading up on as much talent as possible. I think Theo is taking the Phil Emery approach to attacking a weakness.

Attack it in bulk! First, Theo has rebuilt and loaded the minors with hitting. Now he's adding catching. I can see him picking up another too. Then, he'll add the pitching. I'd almost bet anything that he will draft a pitcher with the 1st pick this coming draft.

If he gets a shot at someone like Lester, who now won't cost a draft pick, I think he'll sign a FA in the off season. Unfortunately, I don't see the Cubs, after Theo's last statement, going all in in FA'cy this off season. I think he'll take a shot at 1 top guy, and then build with quantity again.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Mayo felt he will become a every day catcher that hits for avg will a little pop. His power is his biggest concern but that lessens behind the dish. But, it will take a long time for him to develop.

I see them pushing Schwarber like they did Bryant but as a LF that can catch some games. I agree with Mayo that they will let Caratini take his time and develop as a catcher.

Personally, I think they keep Schwarber at C for now. With the lack of catching in the system, I think he'll get every chance to develop there. It doesn't mean that he can't be switched later. His early reviews in the minors at C have actually been pretty good from what I hear.