Russel + Bonifacio to the Braves

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
abreu would cost another team a ton of talent. anyone who denies that is we todd did

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Apparently it's a minor league C coming back as return. My guess is that it's Victor Caratini. Christian Bethancourt is their only other C in the top 20 org prospects and I believe he's starting for them currently.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Caratini is an interesting piece. He's a switch hitter, which I like. We also gave cash considerations.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Yeah, seems initially that Caratini's a pretty good pickup for those two...

"A reliable defensive target, he's received a great deal of praise for his framing and blocking ability, and his arm, while not a full-bore cannon, is better than many MLB catchers already. At the plate, he's a viable switch-hitter, a disciplined and well-rounded talent who projects as a 10-20 home run guy in the future. (He hit .377 with six home runs and a .549 slugging percentage in 175 ABs with Miami Dade.) Should the Braves catcher pipeline get jammed up, as it may very well, Caratini is also a capable third baseman."

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3588

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
More recent report seems less positive though...

"All in all, Caratini projects to be a utility player who can play some third, some catcher, and possibly even some first base at the highest level. His bat will be his carrying tool through the minors, but his lack of a true defensive home will limit his impact at the highest level."

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/eyewitness_bat.php?reportid=102

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Oh, good. A bat with nowhere to play. Bonifacio 2.0

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Oh, good. A bat with nowhere to play. Bonifacio 2.0

Catcher is always open. Castillo might be decent but for one he's not going to play 162 games and for 2 he's not 24. He's 27. By the time Caratini is MLB ready Castillo will be a potential FA. Plus as a switch hitting catcher he could at the very least be a left handed bat off the bench to match up with.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO – Admit it. The moment you heard the Chicago Cubs had traded Emilio Bonifacio and James Russell to the Atlanta Braves for Class-A catcher Victor Caratini you thought of one name.

Javier Baez.

The Cubs' first-round pick of 2011 won’t be coming up from Triple-A Iowa to replace Bonifacio on the roster -- at least not yet. The Cubs haven’t announced their roster changes, but they made sure to announce that.

“We’re not going to change our timetable on any of our prospects based on a moves we made at the big league level,” general manager Jed Hoyer said not long after the trade. “When we feel like they are ready to contribute, we’ll do that.”

Baez must be getting close. After an extremely slow start, he’s raised his batting average to .255 and he hit his 20th home of run of the season Wednesday. Since moving to second base earlier this month – another indication he’s close to a promotion – Baez is hitting .328 with six home runs. His final hurdle might be to improve his strikeout-to-walk ratio. It’s still high at 4-to-1.

“All the stuff you hear about the young guys in the minor leagues, you hear for a reason,” Russell said before leaving town to join his new team. “They’re going to be good. There’s a reason everybody gets that much coverage. It’ll be fun to see them come up here and start contributing.”

Russell’s departure is symbolic of the Cubs' transition to a younger team. He was the final, lone holdover from an era of Cubs teams that included veterans Kerry Wood, Alfonso Soriano and Ryan Dempster. Ironically, he might be the final trade of a veteran at the in-season deadline.

“That’s certainly the goal,” Hoyer said of wanting to be buyers instead of sellers.

But the Cubs are going to take things at their own pace. They deemed Arismendy Alcantara ready for prime time, but they haven’t made that decision with other top prospects. Money could be playing a part, as highly-touted first-round picks eventually become arbitration eligible and then eligible for free agency. Either way, Baez is still expected to see the big leagues this season. It just won’t be in Los Angeles, where the Cubs play next.

“It was different, going through that little face-lift kind of thing,” Russell said of the Cubs rebuilding. “Next thing you know we’re doing a merry-go-round with managers and moving guys every which way. It will be fun to see things slowly stop, pieces get added and watch things take their course here.”

The Cubs will undoubtedly be a team to watch even if Russell has to do it from afar. It might be a team to view for good reasons or the plan might blow up in the Cubs' face, but either way there is a story to be told, and it’s coming soon. Russell was asked what he would tell the prospects about playing in Chicago.

“There’s not many better places to play,” he responded. “Fans are great. If you’re not playing good they’ll let you know it, and if you’re playing really good they’ll even let you know that too.”

Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel, Darwin Barney, Emilio Bonifacio, James Russell have all been traded. And that’s just this year. The fans will definitely let the Cubs know what they think of their rebuilding, as coming back to them this trade season was a Double-A shortstop (Addison Russell), a Triple-A pitcher (Dan Straily), a Single-A catcher (Victor Caratini), a struggling lefty (Felix Doubront) and players to be named later.

“It’ll be fun for the young guys to come up and see how the fans take everything in and kind of help you get to where you want to be,” Russell said.

Baez is one step closer to it all after Thursday’s deal -- but he’s not here just yet.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO – Another trade deadline has come and gone and, predictably, the Chicago Cubs were sellers. Their trade of reliever James Russell and versatile position player Emilio Bonifacio to the Atlanta Braves for Class A catcher Victor Caratini went down at about 2:45 p.m. CT -- 15 minutes before the deadline.

"In the world of trade deadlines, that’s a fair amount of time," general manager Jed Hoyer joked afterward.

Here’s some fallout from the move:

Schwarber effect: Hoyer was asked if the addition of the switch-hitting Caratini to Class A Kane County meant a permanent position change for Class A Daytona catcher and 2014 first-round pick Kyle Schwarber.

"No, he’s catching less, but that’s more to rest him after a long season." Hoyer said. "He'll do a lot of catching in instructional league. This does not affect him."

Pitcher Felix Doubront: The lefty starter/reliever was acquired for a player to be named later from the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday but is going on the disabled list with calf soreness.

"Sometimes, guys need a change of scenery," Hoyer said. "He’s been struggling. That's no secret. Different ballpark, different league. Hope that clicks together."

Doubront is 2-4 with a 6.07 ERA in 17 games, including 10 starts, this season. The Cubs plan to use him as a starter once he comes off the disabled list, most likely at Triple-A Iowa.

Pitcher Dan Straily: Acquired from the Oakland Athletics in the Jeff Samardzija deal, Straily's struggles were likened by Hoyer to Doubront's in that both have had success previously in the majors, though not this season.

"Straily not that much different than Doubront," Hoyer said of the right-hander. "He’s not having as strong a year. We know he can do it in the big leagues. We just need to get him back to that point."

Straily is 0-3 with a 5.85 ERA in four starts for Triple-A Iowa.

Cespedes/Milone: Hoyer was asked if there were any talks about outfielder Yoenis Cespedes or pitcher Tommy Milone, both of whom were traded by the Athletics on Thursday.

"[Our] deal with Oakland was pretty defined," Hoyer said.

In other words, minor league shortstop Addison Russell was the Cubs' target.

Waiver deals: Starting Friday, teams can put players through waivers, and if they clear, they can still be traded.

"We've already started work on that," Hoyer said. "That starts up tomorrow. I don’t know what’s going to happen in August."

Kyuji Fujikawa: His rehab stint is almost over, and the Cubs will soon recall the right-handed reliever, who has been recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Russell on playing in a pennant race: "That will be exciting. Something I’ve never experienced," the 28-year-old lefty said of joining the Braves, who are in the thick of the National League East and wild-card chases. "I’m sure there will be a lot of adrenaline, a lot of emotion. It will be fine. I'll see what I’m made out of."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Catcher is always open. Castillo might be decent but for one he's not going to play 162 games and for 2 he's not 24. He's 27. By the time Caratini is MLB ready Castillo will be a potential FA. Plus as a switch hitting catcher he could at the very least be a left handed bat off the bench to match up with.

I read the part that said he has no defensive home. I certainly don't consider Castillo irreplaceable. Not by a long shot. But when the scouting report on a guy says "utility player. Can play 3rd...." I don't see a real catching prospect. Perhaps that's unfair based on one guys' opinion this early in his career.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
I read the part that said he has no defensive home. I certainly don't consider Castillo irreplaceable. Not by a long shot. But when the scouting report on a guy says "utility player. Can play 3rd...." I don't see a real catching prospect. Perhaps that's unfair based on one guys' opinion this early in his career.

Well, another report says this: "A reliable defensive target, he's received a great deal of praise for his framing and blocking ability, and his arm, while not a full-bore cannon, is better than many MLB catchers already."

I'm not totally sure what to make of him yet, but he is only 20 and there probably isn't a huge rush to promote him so I guess we'll see how he progresses.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well, another report says this: "A reliable defensive target, he's received a great deal of praise for his framing and blocking ability, and his arm, while not a full-bore cannon, is better than many MLB catchers already."

I'm not totally sure what to make of him yet, but he is only 20 and there probably isn't a huge rush to promote him so I guess we'll see how he progresses.

Yep. He will be in KC. If anything he lets Schwarber get out in LF more. I can see Schwarber catching 60 games and in left 90 with this kid taking the bulk. Seeing how he is a SH and his bat is a plus tool I see no problem.

I don't see them extending Castillo.

czman

Liked Posts:
Yep. He will be in KC. If anything he lets Schwarber get out in LF more. I can see Schwarber catching 60 games and in left 90 with this kid taking the bulk. Seeing how he is a SH and his bat is a plus tool I see no problem.

I don't see them extending Castillo.

Not all of these guys are going to make it.

My guess is he is one more player who has a legitimate chance to be a big league contributor. Most of them are going to fail If you have enough though you will hit on some......right......

I think the Cubs are doing what I have always believed in. Accuracy through quantity of fire. Get as much talent as possible and when over half of it flames out you still have a few quality guys who can help your team moving forward. I don't know anything about this kid, but a 20 year old catcher who is believed to have a good bat is decent return for Russel and Bonifacio.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mayo felt he will become a every day catcher that hits for avg will a little pop. His power is his biggest concern but that lessens behind the dish. But, it will take a long time for him to develop.

I see them pushing Schwarber like they did Bryant but as a LF that can catch some games. I agree with Mayo that they will let Caratini take his time and develop as a catcher.