The Javier Baez Discussion Thread

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
So what if Baez has a rough go and gives Mike Olt/Darwin barney production these last 45 or so games? Then next year as seems to be the pattern he has a bad April and potential May. Now what?

Well that is why we have many more behind him. It's an odds/numbers game.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I do see it as a smart move to start him on the road and in Colorado even though it's not the same slugger park prior to the humidor, still a good move.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Oh and until the typical Cubs haters chime in, yes, call me jealous. I'd like a big hitter to get a call up. Come on Avi!!!

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
So what if Baez has a rough go and gives Mike Olt/Darwin barney production these last 45 or so games? Then next year as seems to be the pattern he has a bad April and potential May. Now what?

Gonna be hard for him but people have to remember he is only 21. Look at some of the other former top prospects at that age around the league. Bogaerts, Tavares, Profar, etc. People have to be patient but they won't. Baez will likely struggle to start as he did at both AA and AAA. But he made significant adjustments in both leagues so I think he will do that here as well.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In before baez goes 1-4 with two strike outs and the usuals make their regular appearance to the board

---> Sent from above.

Liked Posts:
Cubs are going to make a push next year. Baez takes a little longer to adjust to the league. They must want him to get a head start for next year which I very much agree with.

Excellent point.

Liked Posts:
Gonna be hard for him but people have to remember he is only 21. Look at some of the other former top prospects at that age around the league. Bogaerts, Tavares, Profar, etc. People have to be patient but they won't. Baez will likely struggle to start as he did at both AA and AAA. But he made significant adjustments in both leagues so I think he will do that here as well.

All of this is valid but it cuts both ways. In his case, it could actually be an easier adjustment due to the fact the pitchers at the major league level are more frequently in the strike zone. The ability to consistently throw strikes is often the reason a pitching prospect is in the minors. If you're a free swinger, you sometimes matchup better against guys who are in the strike zone.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

It's called growing pains. Just like Rizzo and Castro had. If he takes a few punches to the head, he will have to learn from that. I'd rather have him take them now, and the first two months of next year versus struggling the first 4 months of the season next year which wouldn't be ideal either.

If the others start to get promotions, the Cubs can see what they might need to target in the off-season besides obviously, pitching.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I would like to think he bats, 2nd, 4th or 5th. It depends if they want to keep the OF platoon at the top to set the table for Rizzo. The reason for batting Baez second would be to get him as many at bats as possible, and be protected by Rizzo (if that actually means anything).

Liked Posts:
I would like to think he bats, 2nd, 4th or 5th. It depends if they want to keep the OF platoon at the top to set the table for Rizzo. The reason for batting Baez second would be to get him as many at bats as possible, and be protected by Rizzo (if that actually means anything).

A lot of times they're 6th or 7th but you make a good point about hitting him 2nd. There's really no one to protect him after Rizzo in this line up.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

I was just reading about the AAA lineup of Baez, Bryant, and Soler at 3-4-5. That just seems like a nice meat of the order and got me thinking where they'd put him right away.

I like your #2 for now, however. Gonna be fun when all 3 are up and we add Rizzo and Castro to that. I think I'm feeling overly emotional right now ......

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I wouldnt go that far. They are just doing what every team does. Now, I do believe this is showing they are going to make their push next year. They called him up to get him ready for next year. Soler and Bryant may not be to far behind but more towards September. This is to have them all ready for next year.

That's wrong.

It is more common for teams to wait so as not to start the clock. This has been discussed here all year long. Bringing him up August 1, vs. Sept means they are doing things differently than most.

Who cares?

Let's get this thing started! (OK, we already did with Alcantara, Hendricks, Arietta.....let's get this thing rolling!)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It's called growing pains. Just like Rizzo and Castro had. If he takes a few punches to the head, he will have to learn from that. I'd rather have him take them now, and the first two months of next year versus struggling the first 4 months of the season next year which wouldn't be ideal either.

If the others start to get promotions, the Cubs can see what they might need to target in the off-season besides obviously, pitching.

Are you suggesting 2 months time will be enough to determine a failure, and, therefore pursue someone at the same position??

God, i would certainly hope not.