#3 WR Possibilities...Odd Man Out Battles throughout league

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
Ok. It is not so much the size, but the speed and acceleration especially in a west coast offense like ours. And the best slot WRs are and have been on the shorter shifty side. Welker, Austin, Harvin (some slot), Cruz (some slot), Cobb, Moore, Edleman, Amendola etc.

According to PFF's WR performance stats, Jeffrey was the most 'effective' slot in the NFL. Like I said, you're pigeonholing based on tendencies you've picked up on. It isn't the reality though. The best slot WRs are the ones that are used correctly by their coaches. Cobb, Welker, Amendola, etc are all used in a way that allows their skill set to shine. That isn't the exact same way Alshon was used for sure, yet Alshon (at least according to PFF) graded out better in terms of performance from the slot.

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
To be clear, I'm not saying a WR with elite acceleration and speed (who may or may not be small) can't succeed in this or any offense. All I'm saying is you put the best WRs on the field based on what you're trying to accomplish. One down the slot may be Williams running a drag or a deep cross where his speed can be exploited. Another snap it nay be Marshall running down the seam using his size to box out a safety for a big gain over the middle.

Its far from being as cut and dry as you're making it seem. Its not the olympics, speed and acceleration don't mean much if you aren't bringing other qualities to the table.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Because your short recievers can't really play outside so they where forced in the middle. Unless they have speed most midget recievers will be in the slot because you can't play them anywhere else.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
To be clear, I'm not saying a WR with elite acceleration and speed (who may or may not be small) can't succeed in this or any offense. All I'm saying is you put the best WRs on the field based on what you're trying to accomplish. One down the slot may be Williams running a drag or a deep cross where his speed can be exploited. Another snap it nay be Marshall running down the seam using his size to box out a safety for a big gain over the middle.

Its far from being as cut and dry as you're making it seem. Its not the olympics, speed and acceleration don't mean much if you aren't bringing other qualities to the table.
I feel what your saying but Williams suck. The only reason he getting a shot is his track speed. These are NFL corners and safeties who can see his patterns coming a mile away. When Williams gets in the game we already know what he is in for.

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
Because your short recievers can't really play outside so they where forced in the middle. Unless they have speed most midget recievers will be in the slot because you can't play them anywhere else.
Yeah this is very true. The speed those guys have isn't very useful outside because bigger corners have more time to react to the ball and get in position to make a play. Big lean receivers used to get knocked out trying to use their bodies to box out LBs, so speed and quickness was key. Rule and defensive scheme changes have all but diminished this so a guy like Wilson could definitely play in the slot.

I think it'll be a platoon effort regardless. The diversity of pass catchers this team has makes that possible. One play you may see Williams or Morgan in the slot, other times it could be Bennett split out or possibly a two RB set where Forte motions out of the backfield to create a mismatch vs an LB without taking a run play off the table.

I'm sure Marshall and Jeffrey will see plenty of time in the slot too, especially with the new rule changes to press coverage and PI. They'll have a much easier time getting a clean release now, another reason small/quick slot WRs have thrived in the past (they're ability to completely dodge a large CB trying to jam them at the line).

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I know it's an outside shot but I'd live to get earl back in here. Quiet, hard working team player.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
pretty sure wilson was playing outside and marshall or jeffery were moving into the slot.

further, a lot of the better receiving tight ends and h-backs spend a good portion of the time lined up in the slot. you can create mismatches in the slot many different ways.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
I feel what your saying but Williams suck. The only reason he getting a shot is his track speed. These are NFL corners and safeties who can see his patterns coming a mile away. When Williams gets in the game we already know what he is in for.

Having been to camp many times and seeing Williams making plays on almost every snap going his way,imo,your either not going to the practices or just like forming opinions w/out proof,only your belief. And from what he has thus far done,the only sucking is on your part!

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I've seen a lot of practice highlights with Chris Williams involved in quite a bit of the action.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
According to PFF's WR performance stats, Jeffrey was the most 'effective' slot in the NFL. Like I said, you're pigeonholing based on tendencies you've picked up on. It isn't the reality though. The best slot WRs are the ones that are used correctly by their coaches. Cobb, Welker, Amendola, etc are all used in a way that allows their skill set to shine. That isn't the exact same way Alshon was used for sure, yet Alshon (at least according to PFF) graded out better in terms of performance from the slot.

Yes and it also helped them when they ran Jeffrey.

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
Yes and it also helped them when they ran Jeffrey.
Yep, he's barely a threat on an end around but his lethality downfield and ability to kill nickelbacks who get in his face in press coverage caused teams to play offhim a lot, opening up the end around. A player like Hester or Williams would be much better suited to run an end around from the slot but they'd get blown up because teams would have a DB in their face at the LOS presnap. Which would make an end around much more difficult to execute as they'd come crashing down and blow the play up during or right after the hand off.

In the case of Hester, we've seen this happen a lot. Now a guy like DJax, he has success with end arounds because he's proven to be able to use his quickness to beat press man consistently. Because of this, teams play off of him a lot more than your average little guy. That's what I mean when I say its not all about being quick and fast. Its more about being a good all around WR to have success in the slot because it prevents the defense from finding a "one size fits all" remedy for that guy. If a team can stop most or all the things a WR can do by playing them with a single technique then they become useless regardless of how quick/fast they may be.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Yeah this is very true. The speed those guys have isn't very useful outside because bigger corners have more time to react to the ball and get in position to make a play. Big lean receivers used to get knocked out trying to use their bodies to box out LBs, so speed and quickness was key. Rule and defensive scheme changes have all but diminished this so a guy like Wilson could definitely play in the slot.

I think it'll be a platoon effort regardless. The diversity of pass catchers this team has makes that possible. One play you may see Williams or Morgan in the slot, other times it could be Bennett split out or possibly a two RB set where Forte motions out of the backfield to create a mismatch vs an LB without taking a run play off the table.

I'm sure Marshall and Jeffrey will see plenty of time in the slot too, especially with the new rule changes to press coverage and PI. They'll have a much easier time getting a clean release now, another reason small/quick slot WRs have thrived in the past (they're ability to completely dodge a large CB trying to jam them at the line).

Pretty cool about Jeffrey being graded as the best. But I think you can't pigeonhole the shorter WRs as not being successful on the outside. Victor Cruz was a monster on the outside as is Steve Smith and T.Y. Hilton. If you are good, you can play both, however the best slot of all-time Welker is soo shifty that he is always open and racks up the catches.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Pretty cool about Jeffrey being graded as the best. But I think you can't pigeonhole the shorter WRs as not being successful on the outside. Victor Cruz was a monster on the outside as is Steve Smith and T.Y. Hilton. If you are good, you can play both, however the best slot of all-time Welker is soo shifty that he is always open and racks up the catches.
Cruz is mostly slot. Smith has speed and is very physical ( ask Tillman ), Hilton is like Desean Jackson world class speed.

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
is Joe Anderson still available?
Good question, he'd probably be on the top of the list. Knows the system and would come cheap. He's been close to a roster spot the last couple seasons too. Hope nobody snatched him up.

I also wonder if this Dale Moss kid has what it takes to make the team. He's got potential and if I'm not mistaken, he was on the bears practice squad for a bit last season. So hopefully this isn't all new for him. I guess we'll have to find out in preseason. Definite long shot though.

KCCO

Liked Posts:
Oh man, if Da'Rick Rogers was ever released by the Colts (highly highly doubtful) He would be a dream come true. Or What about Arrelious Benn if he were to get cut my the Eagles.. I loved him when he was an Illini, I know he's been injured quite a bit but if he's healthy he would be fun to watch as a #3 receiver.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Highly doubt they'll bring anyone in. Everyone moves up a slot. Weems is your new #3. Chris Williams is your #4.