#3 WR Possibilities...Odd Man Out Battles throughout league

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
Wilson going down sucks, but it's FAR from the end of the world.

Frankly...it might turn out to be a good thing for the team. I didn't really like our depth. Thats about to change.

There are a few good crowded WR battles throught out the league right. Emery will be tracking the waiver wire right up to opening day. You can almost BANK on Emery bringing in an "odd man out" WR who's probably got more experience than Wilson anyway.

Some odd man out battles where 1 should be waived:

Rams: Pettis/Quick/Givens

Browns: Austin/Charles Johnson/Bess (Bi-polar bear for Marshall to make pals with)

Colts: Nicks(could be a suprise cut..has underwhelmed but you gotta love his siize)/Whalen/Rogers

Jets: Hill ( i wouldnt touch him)/Jacoby Ford (our new return man!)/David Nelson

SF: Lloyd/Patton/Ellington

TB: Louis Murphy/David Gettis (I like Baylor WR's)/Owusu

WSH-Robinson (DEEP THREAT)/Moss (saavy vet)/ Hankerson (SIZE)

So...you're not gonna get any GAME CHANGERS...but some definite depth options who can make some plays.

In the interim....it's almost a no brainer you bring back Earl Bennet if he's stayed in shape. Joe Anderson maybe too.

And obviously Josh Morgan just moved up to #3. Weems will be given a fair shot for the slot too. More reps coming for Chris Williams too. Dont totally discount Spurlock either.

And then Wilson should be put on the PUP. I think he's back by week 7-8.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
think the bears are fine. morgan is a decent enough receiver and also a good blocker in the run game. weems can fill the spot as well. heard some good things about williams so this might give him an opportunity to show something as a receiver. none of them obviously have the potential of wilson to make impact plays, but we're talking about the 5th option in the passing game.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
think the bears are fine. morgan is a decent enough receiver and also a good blocker in the run game. weems can fill the spot as well. heard some good things about williams so this might give him an opportunity to show something as a receiver. none of them obviously have the potential of wilson to make impact plays, but we're talking about the 5th option in the passing game.

It just sucks because Morgan has had everything go through his hands in TC per Stoltz.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Only a delusional Bear fan would want Earl. Morgan and Weems will be the obvious choice. Wilson won't be gone that long so I don't see them bringing a threat to his job such as a Ford or Nicks. But we are trying to win a Superbowl.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't see us adding another WR to make the team unless Wilson is gone for season...

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
Only a delusional Bear fan would want Earl. Morgan and Weems will be the obvious choice. Wilson won't be gone that long so I don't see them bringing a threat to his job such as a Ford or Nicks. But we are trying to win a Superbowl.

I would argue that Ford would be more of a threat to Weems and Williams because of his return skills. Not so much Wilson

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I think that we have our HR hitter deep threat on the roster already. No reason to go get one. If we want a possession type, we may have to go out of the organization. I just assume stay put. Our WR3 is really our 5th option in the offense. Stay put and let Wilson have his crack at it when he returns. Until then, go with more 2 back and 2 TE sets with the occasional HR ball to Weems/Morgan.

Jeff George

Liked Posts:
I think that we have our HR hitter deep threat on the roster already. No reason to go get one. If we want a possession type, we may have to go out of the organization. I just assume stay put. Our WR3 is really our 5th option in the offense. Stay put and let Wilson have his crack at it when he returns. Until then, go with more 2 back and 2 TE sets with the occasional HR ball to Weems/Morgan.

Just because we go sign someone now, doesn't mean it's not Wilson's job when he gets back.

This is the time of year where you can be a real knob job to players who nobody wants and tell them..."we'll help you make a living for now..but as soon as somebody better comes along...you're out of here. So don't blow all your checks on coke and whores."

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Wilson going down sucks, but it's FAR from the end of the world.

Frankly...it might turn out to be a good thing for the team. I didn't really like our depth. Thats about to change.

There are a few good crowded WR battles throught out the league right. Emery will be tracking the waiver wire right up to opening day. You can almost BANK on Emery bringing in an "odd man out" WR who's probably got more experience than Wilson anyway.

Some odd man out battles where 1 should be waived:

Rams: Pettis/Quick/Givens

Browns: Austin/Charles Johnson/Bess (Bi-polar bear for Marshall to make pals with)

Colts: Nicks(could be a suprise cut..has underwhelmed but you gotta love his siize)/Whalen/Rogers

Jets: Hill ( i wouldnt touch him)/Jacoby Ford (our new return man!)/David Nelson

SF: Lloyd/Patton/Ellington

TB: Louis Murphy/David Gettis (I like Baylor WR's)/Owusu

WSH-Robinson (DEEP THREAT)/Moss (saavy vet)/ Hankerson (SIZE)

So...you're not gonna get any GAME CHANGERS...but some definite depth options who can make some plays.

In the interim....it's almost a no brainer you bring back Earl Bennet if he's stayed in shape. Joe Anderson maybe too.

And obviously Josh Morgan just moved up to #3. Weems will be given a fair shot for the slot too. More reps coming for Chris Williams too. Dont totally discount Spurlock either.

And then Wilson should be put on the PUP. I think he's back by week 7-8.
How bout I guy that's been sitting out there the whole off season.........Santonio Holmes??

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Morgan is more of an outside WR so I think he will back up the best duo of WRs in the NFL. I think Williams/Weems are more of the fast and shifty slot WRs. I think they will rotate as the slot until Wilson comes back. Speed threats are great too....even as a decoy.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
How bout I guy that's been sitting out there the whole off season.........Santonio Holmes??
How cheap will he play for?

That would be a sweet pick up. Marshall could keep him on a leash.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I would argue that Ford would be more of a threat to Weems and Williams because of his return skills. Not so much Wilson
In this offense with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte. Ford would be special. I live in Sacramento so I had no choice but to watch a few Raider games over the years.

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
Morgan is more of an outside WR so I think he will back up the best duo of WRs in the NFL. I think Williams/Weems are more of the fast and shifty slot WRs. I think they will rotate as the slot until Wilson comes back. Speed threats are great too....even as a decoy.

Slot WRs are far from being pigeonholed as being "short and shifty" these days, to exploit the growing trend of nickel and dime defenses becoming the packages being used by defenses a majority of the time, teams have been opting to put larger bodied WRs and even TEs into the slot more often that smaller speed oriented WRs.

Marshall played in the slot a TON last year, so did Martellus. Wilson is 6'4" and was slated for a pretty big role in the slot. Don't discount a player from playing slot WR just because of his size. That was normal 5-10 years ago but NFL defenses are beginning to find ways to take those guys out of games and offense's are using larger bodied guys to exploit the adjustments that have been made.

chefbear65

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised if the replacement isn't already on the team. WRs don't typically have the ability to pick up an entire system in just a couple weeks so whomever gets brought in would have to be pretty special to he worth the time. Those types of guys aren't very commonly in august. There are 4 preseason games and a lot of talented guys on the roster. I would imagine if one of the fringe guys shows promise, he'll be given a shot over a more costly vet that will barely know the playbook by the time Wilson gets healthy.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Slot WRs are far from being pigeonholed as being "short and shifty" these days, to exploit the growing trend of nickel and dime defenses becoming the packages being used by defenses a majority of the time, teams have been opting to put larger bodied WRs and even TEs into the slot more often that smaller speed oriented WRs.

Marshall played in the slot a TON last year, so did Martellus. Wilson is 6'4" and was slated for a pretty big role in the slot. Don't discount a player from playing slot WR just because of his size. That was normal 5-10 years ago but NFL defenses are beginning to find ways to take those guys out of games and offense's are using larger bodied guys to exploit the adjustments that have been made.

Ok. It is not so much the size, but the speed and acceleration especially in a west coast offense like ours. And the best slot WRs are and have been on the shorter shifty side. Welker, Austin, Harvin (some slot), Cruz (some slot), Cobb, Moore, Edleman, Amendola etc.

RisWell

Liked Posts:

When Trestman was in Oakland Jerry Porter was there slot. He is 6-2