Schierholts DFAd and Jacob Turner claimed by Cubs.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Its a waiver claim.. they don't need to give them anyone unless they want to make a deal if Marlins decide to pull him back ..

If we don't make an offer we risk Colorado grabbing him for free, although they passed on him once already I wouldn't take the chance. we have a lot of guys who need to be DFA'd, might as well guarantee we get Turner.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If we don't make an offer we risk Colorado grabbing him for free, although they passed on him once already I would take the chance. we have a lot of guys who need to be DFA'd, might as well guarantee we get Turner.
Think you need to brush up on what a waiver claim is...

Rockies and all the other teams don't matter anymore cause the Cubs own the claim on him...

The marlins have 2 days to decide on which of the 3 options they want to do.

arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim

rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver

do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and place the player on its active major league roster.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Think you need to brush up on what a waiver claim is...

Rockies and all the other teams don't matter anymore cause the Cubs own the claim on him...

The marlins have 2 days to decide on which of the 3 options they want to do.

arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim

rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver

do nothing and allow the claiming team to assume the player's existing contract, pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and place the player on its active major league roster.

I definitely know the process :)

There is also a 4th option:

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season—a subsequent waiver would be irrevocable with a claiming team getting the player essentially for nothing.

That is why I say offer a player the Cubs planned on DFA'ing. Reduces the risk of being pulled back, and it removes the risk of him being rescinded and put back on waivers again, which the dumb Marlins may do again if a trade agreement wasn't made.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
And we have to move someone off the 25 man and 40 man roster as well. So a trade is imminent.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
And we have to move someone off the 25 man and 40 man roster as well. So a trade is imminent.
they actually only have 39 players on 40 man roster now

Dont see why they would need to trade someone off 25 unless they plan on starting him right away which I doubt but if they were then all they'd have to do is reassign wada or hendricks back to AAA ...

All im saying is, it not a definate a trade is gonna happen for this guy unless the Marlins force one by asking for something in return or they'll pull him back.

Not like their gonna get much in return except naybe a struggling cub minor leaguer so they could just easily let him go for nothing

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I believe we are at 40 with Fujikawa activated? And when Turner is claimed he has to play at the big league level, he is out of options.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I believe we are at 40 with Fujikawa activated? And when Turner is claimed he has to play at the big league level, he is out of options.
Fujikawa took Schierholtz spot

I was wondering about that with Turner, if he has to be activated on 25 then I see him in bullpen for now.

I dont see a reason to drop hendricks or wada and just don't see them waiving jackson or wood either...

Some moves are gonna be made by this weekend

They only have 4 OFers now, so im sure Soler probably getting the call for this weekend. ..

Gonna be interesting to see who else gets moved

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
All indications are the Marlins intend to trade him. However, given they didn't do it before the deadline means they likely wont get much if anything for him.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
And the fact that they have to wait 30 days to place Turner on waivers again if they cant come to agreement with us puts us in the driver's seat. I'd guess we get him for little to nothing.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
That and there isn't a worry about Colorado grabbing him. They've already passed on him once for us to have achieved a successful claim. Because Colorado has a worse record than we do...

Liked Posts:
This is a good add. Hope Thoyer pulls this off.

It's good to see things starting to happen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Trading Olt for him makes sense. Clears 1 40 man spot. On the 25 man it would be Rusin demoted.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure about the whole Soler bit. I'm leaning torwards Sept where they don't have to put players on wavers to clear a 25 man spot. Baez made sense he needs more time to adjust.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I definitely know the process :)

There is also a 4th option:

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season—a subsequent waiver would be irrevocable with a claiming team getting the player essentially for nothing.

That is why I say offer a player the Cubs planned on DFA'ing. Reduces the risk of being pulled back, and it removes the risk of him being rescinded and put back on waivers again, which the dumb Marlins may do again if a trade agreement wasn't made.

If they didn't trade for him before, they probably want him for "free", but not for a player.

Offer nothing. They won't pull him back. If they do, so what?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pitching style[edit]
Turner throws four main pitches: a four-seam fastball (90–93 mph), a sinking two-seam fastball (89–93), a curveball (78–80) and a slider (84-86). He also throws a rare changeup (85–87), which is used almost exclusively against left-handed hitters. He often relies on the curveball with two strikes in the count.[19]

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
UPDATE 5 (9:12pm CT): It’s been expected at this point, but at least putting a source with it – Dave Kaplan says that a trade will happen, and the Cubs will get Turner. There are some rumors floating out there about a certain outfield prospect (ok, Shawon Dunston, Jr.) leaving the Kane County game early today, and people connecting the dots from there (Dunston is approximately the type of prospect you’d think of in a deal like this). I’ve not heard anything about Dunston, but I’d caution that guys are removed from games for a variety of reasons. Is it possible there’s something there? Sure. But it’s also possible it’s just a coincidence.

From bleacher nation.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They ended up giving up Tyler Bremer and Jose Arias. They are pretty non-rospects as they are RP and low level pitchers at that. Pretty good buy low trade IMO

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They ended up giving up Tyler Bremer and Jose Arias. They are pretty non-rospects as they are RP and low level pitchers at that. Pretty good buy low trade IMO

The deal was fine. The question is what is wrong with Turner?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing is wrong with turner. He has had a bad year. He had a solid year last year. The marlins are trying to make a push for the playoffs and he was out of iptions

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mike Newman ‏@MikeNewmanRS 3h

@enosarris Wrote about Turner yesterday. His peripherals in 2014 are better than Martin Perez pre-extension

One Man’s Jacob Turner Is Another Man’s Martin Perez

In a perplexing decision by a Marlins team with Brad Hand listed as its fourth starter, Miami designated 23-year old Jacob Turner for assignment. Quickly claimed by the Chicago Cubs, the former first round pick has an opportunity to right the ship for a last place team. But was Turner so terrible to begin with? 1976 statistical analysis says yes, but 2014 measures used at ROTOscouting points to a pitcher with peripherals similar to Rangers Martin Perez who signed a contract through 2017 with three option years this past off-season.

A look at recent trades between the Detroit Tigers and Miami Marlins shows the “Fish” have served as a Triple-A franchise for a team with three consecutive division titles and an American League pennant. In 2012, Jacob Turner was a key piece in a deal which sent Omar Infante and Anibal Sanchez to Detroit. Since donning the blue and orange Sanchez has accumulated 10-plus WAR in approximately two years with a Hall Of Fame quality 6.3 wins in 2013.

As for the Turner, just six of his 53 career appearances were with Detroit before the trade deadline deal. As of his final game for the Marlins, Jacob Turner had 0.9 WAR over his career. And while this is disappointing, a look into the right-hander’s peripherals show a pitcher who’s improved this season. At an age when pitching prospects are developing at the Double-A level, the former top-100 prospect was holding his own against MLB opponents — even with a 5.97 ERA.

Admittedly, Rangers left-hander Martin Perez was a year younger than Jacob Turner when posting nearly identical numbers. So while it’s safe to say he’s better than the Cubs’ newest pitching project, does a year equal the difference between the penthouse and outhouse? Either something more is in play with Jacob Turner, or Miami made a knee jerk baseball decision based on bad luck (.368 BABIP) and old school baseball statistics (5.97 ERA)

Having not seen a Turner appearance in 2014, his BABIP may be a result of pitches being barreled frequently. But if this mid-season report is correct, the Marlins defense plus Turner’s ground ball heavy arsenal is a recipe for disaster. Having caught pitchers playing in front of poor defenses, memories of prior mistakes can leave a pitcher shell-shocked and fearful of pitching to personal strengths.

Jacob Turner And Perception

Player perception is another interesting factor in this decision. Prospect Jose Urena is suddenly a shooting star in the Marlins organization after a stellar Double-A campaign, yet the right-hander is less than four months younger than Jacob Turner, a pitcher who made his MLB debut before Urena pitched an inning of full season baseball. In fact, Turner is younger than five pitchers on MLB.com’s top-100 update and nearly identical in age to 2013 1st round picks Mark Appel and Andrew Heaney. Translate Turner’s MLB peripherals to the Double-A or Triple-A level and the right-hander would still be a top-100 prospect.

For Chicago, Turner falling into their lap is a gift from the baseball gods. Maybe the right-hander never becomes the front line starter expected of a ninth overall pick in his draft class, but it doesn’t matter. His maintaining current peripherals in front of better infield defense equals a fourth starter with just over a year of service time. A big score when Martin Perez is set for life after signing a team friendly extension.

In fantasy baseball, consider Jacob Turner a rock bottom buy low candidate. Remember, the sweet spot for all but guaranteed success from a starting pitcher is seven or more strikeouts per nine innings, three or less walker per nine innings and a ground ball rate above 50-percent. Turner’s 2014 is in the sweet spot for two of the three benchmarks at a time when he’s widely considered an underachiever.