Lord Have Mercy (If We Win the Rusney-Stakes)

ZAN

Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;ci14LWlYGKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci14LWlYGKI[/video]

This kid's batspeed is Taveras/Baez fast...and he's supposedly MLB-ready.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
AUG. 6: While touring Wrigley Field on vacation, Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith learned that the Cubs held a private workout for Castillo today.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm kind of meh on him. I mean he's 27 and we're talking about may be ready for the majors. He's older than Yoenis Céspedes who is only 28 now after 3 years. At 27 he should be as good as he'll ever be. I'm not saying don't go for him because you need OFs but frankly I don't think he's going to be playing his best when the cubs are actually competing.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be so cool if we got him. I would guess Mendy to LF, Castillo in CF, Soler in RF?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of meh on him. I mean he's 27 and we're talking about may be ready for the majors. He's older than Yoenis Céspedes who is only 28 now after 3 years. At 27 he should be as good as he'll ever be. I'm not saying don't go for him because you need OFs but frankly I don't think he's going to be playing his best when the cubs are actually competing.

29-32 are peak years, typically. That would mean that when the Cubs are competing, he is playing his best.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
29-32 are peak years, typically. That would mean that when the Cubs are competing, he is playing his best.

29 is generally considered the peak. Every thing after that is on the downhill. Additionally, if there's any kind of adjustment period for him you're talking about losing out on "prime" years.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
29 is generally considered the peak. Every thing after that is on the downhill. Additionally, if there's any kind of adjustment period for him you're talking about losing out on "prime" years.
You don't hit 29 and immediately decline at age 30. That's a misrepresentation of peak physical years.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
You don't hit 29 and immediately decline at age 30. That's a misrepresentation of peak physical years.

Not directly no but there's been studies which show that is typically when players have their best year. Point here being he's unlikely to get better after that point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If the cubs end up signing Rusney Castillo, that tells me they feel Almora at least 2 seasons away and they dont consider Alcantara as their everyday CFer going into 2015, but maybe more of a utility player.

Liked Posts:
It depends on what they pay him. If it's in line with what Cespedes got, it's worth the risks.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Not directly no but there's been studies which show that is typically when players have their best year. Point here being he's unlikely to get better after that point.
No one is suggesting otherwise, not even Captain Obvious.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I know what you meant to say there, but this is funny. "He's 27. He's older than Cespedes, who is 28"

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If the cubs end up signing Rusney Castillo, that tells me they feel Almora at least 2 seasons away and they dont consider Alcantara as their everyday CFer going into 2015, but maybe more of a utility player.

My man Mendy ain't no utility player, dammit!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Meh at best.

The Cubs do have a need for a CF but that puts Schwarber in as catcher and Almora in the hot seat. Now I have no problem with them trading Almora. I see him as a Castro type of hitter with better D. Other words replaceable.

In the end it is another RH stick in the line up that will become RH heavy sooner than later. Not really a huge fan of it. Rather have them spend on Maeda and Lester and let the farm provide the run support.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Signing him gives them more assets. I'm all for it. Would allow them to use some of their OF prospects as trade bait

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Signing him gives them more assets. I'm all for it. Would allow them to use some of their OF prospects as trade bait

I don't have a problem with this line of thought which is why I was "meh" rather than "no." However, I should point out it's still money and if that money can be spent better other places then it does come at a cost.

ZAN

Liked Posts:

Exactly. The Cubs will gladly take whatever Alcantara can give them. He will have plenty of PT between 2B and the 3 OF positions. But they view Almora as a future everyday CF. I don't think Rusney coming to Chicago would mean that Almora is out of a job. Alcantara hasn't exactly wow'ed us enough to guarantee a starting gig yet. But is definitely someone we want depth-wise.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dewsy has assured me that that the Russmeister will sign with the White Sox, so he can be with the Cuban Brotherhood!@!!!

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw a submarine baller!