Cubs Claim Cole Hamels

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Phillies Pull Hamels Back From Waivers
By Steve Adams [August 8, 2014 at 1:53pm CDT]
1:53pm: The Phillies have pulled Hamels back off waivers after the two sides were unable to strike a deal, tweets Paul Sulivan of the Chicago Tribune.

FRIDAY, 8:43am: In an updated version of his original article, Wittenmyer writes that the Cubs may prefer to add an ace-caliber starter via free agency this winter. They’ll have multiple options to do so with Max Scherzer, James Shields and Jon Lester (whom Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer know well) hitting the open market. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears the same, reporting that the Cubs are “expected to be aggressive” on the free agent market.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You keep repeating the same nonsense. The Red Sox are stingy when it comes to contract length for over 30 pitchers. And money talks in free agency. They won't have to pay that much more for a FA and they won't have to give up prospects.

You must have a huge hard on for Cole Hamels and only Cole Hamels.

A theoretical return to the Red Sox for Jon Lester could follow the same path as Mike Lowell‘s return following the 2007 season, writes WEEI’s Rob Bradford. Lowell spoke with Bradford at length about his decision to reject a four-year, $48MM offer from the Phillies in favor of a three-year, $38MM offer to return to Boston. Lowell feels that Lester might not feel the need to take something like $150MM over seven years, but he adds that the Red Sox can’t simply offer a four-year deal if the rest of the market is willing to offer five or more years.

JON LESTER'S POTENTIAL RETURN TO BOSTON COULD FOLLOW MIKE LOWELL TEMPLATE
Wed, 08/06/2014 - 7:18am

There is that narrative out there, the one that suggests that Jon Lester was only expressing his unbridled desire to remain a member of the Red Sox as a public relations ploy.

Mike Lowell (right) can relate to Jon Lester's situation in more ways than one. (AP)
Mike Lowell (right) can relate to Jon Lester's situation in more ways than one. (AP)
Take fewer years and money to stay in Boston? Why would any top-tier free agent, just months away from a ginormous payday, contemplate that?

There is an answer. There is a reality.

Yes, Lester actually means it. What that results in at the end of the day, nobody knows. But he does mean it, just like Mike Lowell meant it almost seven years ago when he took a full year less in the open market to stay with the Red Sox.

"For me it was no doubt I loved playing in a real energized baseball atmosphere every day," the former Red Sox third baseman said. "I loved [that] the city was into the team every single day. All of the stuff that people play in Boston that some guys didn't like, the non-stop talking baseball, that's what I crave. Maybe it is similar somewhere else, but I hadn't seen it. Don't get me wrong, my family was comfortable. My family loved being in Boston. But that baseball atmosphere, it was so overwhelming positive for me. I knew a good contract was coming either way, but I wanted to be in the situation where I enjoyed playing baseball the most, and it was there."

In Lester's case, perhaps the most telling comments the pitcher made were expressed to WEEI.com's Alex Speier less than a week before he was dealt to Oakland:

"I think sometimes you can get blinded by success. Especially you come from here, right now, we're not playing so good -- you get traded to a contender, we're back on the winning trail, everybody is happy when you're winning. It's always roses. You can never see the bad when you're winning. I wouldn't say never [to signing with the team that traded for him], but it would have to be ideal -- you would have to fall into a perfect, perfect scenario. But my ultimate goal would be to come back here. That would be, like I said the other day, I know that's hard to do. I know it doesn't happen very often. But I understand it. I get it.

"I think there's something to be said for [what Cliff Lee did]. Mikey Lowell did it -- there's been plenty of guys who have done it. Obviously not the trade and come back thing, but leaving a year, leaving money on the table. Money doesn't buy you happiness. There's some guys that drives them. That's great. It drives them.

"For me, I want to be happy. I want to be comfortable. I want to be in a place that wants me and appreciates what I do. If that means leaving a little bit of money on the table, then that's what that means.

"For whatever reason, if this [Boston] isn't making you happy and something else is, you take less money and go there. That's I guess the joy of being a free agent. You get to pick your friends. That's the comment I always like."

He's correct: taking less money to go somewhere in free agency doesn't happen a whole bunch. But it does happen. And, as Lester pointed out, there is perhaps no better example of someone taking such a path than Lowell.

After the 2007 season, one in which Lowell put up perhaps his best season and won the World Series MVP, the third baseman was presented with a four-year, $48 million deal with the Phillies. This was after the Red Sox, who waited until season's end to negotiate with their free agent, came right out of the gate with three-year, $32 million offer.

During the negotiations, Lowell had gotten some inkling from principal owner John Henry the Sox might be willing to go to four years. But then the pipeline to Henry dried up, the talks only included then-Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, and the team's offer stuck at three years.

With time ticking, Lowell was faced with the kind of decision that might just be facing Lester.

"The biggest offer was from the Phillies, more per year and more years. So that was a lot," said Lowell, who ended up with a three-year, $38 million deal from the Sox. "You look at it and it's 30 percent more for the whole contract. I looked at that and the situation was good. It's a good hitters' park for me.

"It was different situation. I liked Boston. We were winning. There were no signs that the Red Sox didn't want to compete again for another world championship. Turning down four to take three was not hard for me. If I had to turn down four to take two that would have been a major decision and I don't think I would have done it. That's where Jonny probably doesn't need seven for 150, but if the market calls for five, I don't think the Red Sox can offer four. I don't think that would be an option."

The Lowell-Lester comparison stretches beyond just their love of playing baseball in Boston. Both had life-altering experiences very early in their big league careers -- due to bouts with cancer -- that might not be defining any free agent decision, but certainly has shaped both men's perspectives.

"For me, '07 was my best year so I didn't want to focus on that because if I just kept doing what I was doing there was going to be a nice contract," Lowell remembered. "When I look at Jonny and myself, I think we both got a little dose of reality of life early on with the cancer thing. That's the biggest similariy. A lot of people view it through the baseball view of things, but I think we got a pretty heavy dose of the life thing early on.

"I didn't say I didn't need the contract because of the cancer thing. When we got it, it was so similar to the time I did because we were both rookies so he kind of had to prove himself in the league at not 100 percent. So when baseball is taken away, all you want to do is play baseball and be healthy. When you've got that, the baseball part really doesn't matter. The cancer thing made [us] realize the money thing is going to take care of itself, and you know why? Jon's good. Jon's really good. If you put up numbers, the industry is going to take care of it. It didn't add stress to me. For me in '07, contract year, I really didn't stress because it was just one of those special years with the team and I just enjoyed myself."

The similarities don't stop there.

Lowell also can offer the perspective of what it's like to negotiate with the Red Sox, and Henry in particular. That, it would seem, would be of some interest considering it is the principal owner's philosophy regarding 30-somethings that has gained a fair amount of attention during the Lester talks.

"The thing John Henry does really well is let his baseball guys do the baseball decision, and he decides of the money or the formula works," said Lowell, now a part-time television analyst. "That part of it, talking to him, I really enjoyed because I got to hear the owner of the team agree on some points and have to talk to Theo on other points. With any negotiations, it's kind of like selling a car. They're trying to go low and be fair, and we're trying to go low and be fair and prove our point, and we end up somewhere in the middle. It's hard in a big market. I wanted to keep it as private as possible, some things are let out, and I just think it's just part of it.

"Jon was on with us on MLB Network and he we talked about negotiating. He said, 'It's not easy, and we're talking,' which means he was thinking about it. It was refreshing to hear that it wasn't easy because you're talking about tons of money and he wants to focus on the baseball. It was a good human moment where you're reminded you're talking about a lot of good things but it's not easy. You still have to maintain focus and do your job. Like he said, it's hard. I'm proud of him in the way he's handled everything because he hasn't let it affect him."

In the end, however, it is looking more and more like Lester will be forced to make a decision in line with what Lowell faced.

"Financially he made it already," Lowell said of the lefty. "He made it with the first contract. The numbers are going to be staggering, so what can he do with $130 million that he can't do with the $75 million. Jonny isn't a guy who has four Ferraris. He's a down-to-earth guy. So he's looking at the situation for himself, where he's going to be comfortable. He's a competitor, so he's going to want to be in a competitive atmosphere, and then what his family likes. For me in '07 all three of those came down to Boston. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a line you're not going ... You want to be treated fairly in the market. For me the line was three years. Did I want four? Yeah, I really wanted four. But if the Red Sox would have been adamant at two I don't think I would have signed. The third year was what I was sure of.

"What he is going to look for in the offseason is comfort for his family, because the baseball is going to be there no matter where he goes. He's going to get the ball every fifth day no matter what. I think he's going to go to a place where the baseball is a comfortable situation, meaning the city."

Liked Posts:
1:53pm: The Phillies have pulled Hamels back off waivers after the two sides were unable to strike a deal, tweets Paul Sulivan of the Chicago Tribune.

FRIDAY, 8:43am: In an updated version of his original article, Wittenmyer writes that the Cubs may prefer to add an ace-caliber starter via free agency this winter. They’ll have multiple options to do so with Max Scherzer, James Shields and Jon Lester (whom Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer know well) hitting the open market. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports hears the same, reporting that the Cubs are “expected to be aggressive” on the free agent market.

You must be sad. But you can always write Cole another fan mail letter asking him to drag his testicles across your face.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's only a bargain if you don't give up Lou Brock while you're at it.

If the SP the Cubs took ended up winning 100 games for the Cubs that deal is not bad. Just a gamble that lost.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You must be sad. But you can always write Cole another fan mail letter asking him to drag his testicles across your face.

did your mommy make you mad today?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Let us know if Cole responds to your letters. It's pretty obvious you want a cream pie from him.

Good one. :clap:

But in all seriousness do you know who was the last legit Cubs Ace?

I'll give you a hint. It was not Zambrano. Want a second? It was not Wood. 3rd? It was not Prior. None of them were legit league aces.

So if you can not get the value a legit league ace brings then I can't help you.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Good one. :clap:

But in all seriousness do you know who was the last legit Cubs Ace?

I'll give you a hint. It was not Zambrano. Want a second? It was not Wood. 3rd? It was not Prior. None of them were legit league aces.

So if you can not get the value a legit league ace brings then I can't help you.
I thought Matt Garza was ? [emoji12]

Not sure of your meaning of Legit Ace is..

I break Aces down to 3 categories, cause their not all the same
Though they are Aces

High- HOF level

Med- cy young/allstars

Low- allstars/ streak breakers/reliable

Cole Hamel to me is in the low/med range

Have to disagree with wood, prior, and zambrano

Wood was definitely in low range Ace prior to injury

Prior had the makings of medium range Ace prior to injuries

Zambrano was a low range Ace

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought Matt Garza was ? [emoji12]

Not sure of your meaning of Legit Ace is..

I break Aces down to 3 categories, cause their not all the same
Though they are Aces

High- HOF level

Med- cy young/allstars

Low- allstars/ streak breakers/reliable

Cole Hamel to me is in the low/med range

Have to disagree with wood, prior, and zambrano

Wood was definitely in low range Ace prior to injury

Prior had the makings of medium range Ace prior to injuries

Zambrano was a low range Ace

Zambrano was not a ace. Seeing how you are grasping at it. Try Greg Maddux. Rick Sutcliffe was borderline. Before that was Jenkins.

Wood all he did was strike out 20. He was injured.
Prior was hype. Injured hype.
Zambrano put together good streaks. But his numbers never never in the top end.
Dempster? Again 2 good years at the tail end of a injured career.
Lilly? Was not even the ace on his team.
Navarro? lol
How about Tapani? lol
Lets see??...oh Jon Lieber...won 20 in 2001...ya that is ace stuff...not.3.79 FIP that year was league avg.

The hiswtory of the Cubs has been shitty pitching. And the history of the Cubs has been loosing.

So ya there is a clear need for a proven league ace.

Look at the Cards...what have they had? Carpenter, then Wainwright...ya they get it and they have won a few WS.

An ace is needed on this team if it is going to move forward.

Thought the Rocks from the 90's ran by Bailor would clue a few on to a high run support team can suck with no pitching.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Gee, what a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait. I did. :)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If the SP the Cubs took ended up winning 100 games for the Cubs that deal is not bad. Just a gamble that lost.

A starting pitcher doesn't win 100 games by himself.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A starting pitcher doesn't win 100 games by himself.

Saying history is 20/20. At the time the trade was viewed as a good one. No one can predict its outcome.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Gee, what a great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Oh, wait. I did. :)

Not saying they wont try. Lester has gone out and said he would come back to the Sox. It would be on the Sox short changing him in years. Thought that article I posted laid it out pretty clear. There is a chance but he is going to get paid regardless where he goes so it will come down the the city and a comfort zone for his family.

IDK to be honest if he will come. If the Cubs had Arrieta and another TOR in place then it would be buy-able. Right now he could be going into a lions den seen as a savior.

Even with the Sox he had talent around him in the rotation. He would be going into a non play off tested rotation.

Max: I doubt the Ricketts would sell the farm here. Would anyone be fine with Boras making off with 200 mil?

Next year: Price. Well if he doesn't re-up with Det. And that is a strong possibility after they traded for him knowing they are losing Max. I'm not sure he will even go to the market.

Regardless nothing on the F/A front is 100% The farm has no pitching talent. I'm still standing with they should have went for it.

And not about Cole 2323.....first and last man crush I had was with Bruce Sutter because how he was making a ball fall off the table. I care about this team winning. Not about players or man crushes.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Agreed on the Sutter man crush. And he would pitch 3 innings. So different than today.