Guaranteed Contracts.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
We all know it takes forever and a day to build a team due to this, and is hurting the sport of baseball...attendance in particular.

How is it that a players union I assume can wield this much power over owners?.

And why should players get paid to suck??.:lol:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
We all know it takes forever and a day to build a team due to this, and is hurting the sport of baseball...attendance in particular.

How is it that a players union I assume can wield this much power over owners?.

And why should players get paid to suck??.:lol:

Because the baseball union is by far the most well organized in major sports and unlike say football who has a huge war chest of money for owners, there's a lot of MLB teams that struggle. For example, whens the last time you heard of a "small market" football team or even basketball for that matter?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because the baseball union is by far the most well organized in major sports and unlike say football who has a huge war chest of money for owners, there's a lot of MLB teams that struggle. For example, whens the last time you heard of a "small market" football team or even basketball for that matter?

Def. small market basketball teams. OKC is one of them. Its why they will lose Durant or Westbrook at some point. Baseball pulls in so much money though. Its also how they get people to choose baseball over other sports.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Def. small market basketball teams. OKC is one of them. Its why they will lose Durant or Westbrook at some point. Baseball pulls in so much money though. Its also how they get people to choose baseball over other sports.

I probably shouldn't have commented on basketball as I'm a fringe fan at best but suffice to say the point i was trying to make was that OKC vs the lakers is no where near oakland vs the yankees

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:

The Milwaukee Bucks, been wondering for years how they stay in business. In the NFL, Jacksonville struggles to fill seats and retain decent television ratings...shows on their roster as well.

That aside, the union driving up MLB payrolls forces many teams to build from within...then round out rosters w/whatever FA's they can afford. At least the ones trying to compete. This isn't such a bad thing, as we have watched huge FA payrolls return less rings than they should...cough...Yankees.

Yet, barring most politicians we as a society generally pay people based on performance. To have performers we as fans pay to watch receive payment when unable to perform is ludicrous to the average American. And for guaranteed contracts to hold up a team willing to better spend that $$ elsewhere isn't fair to fans or owners.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

THat's why they have a salary cap

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Which goes back to the first point I made about the MLB union being stronger.

Well of course it is, the question was how and why...

"Perhaps the best way to view guarantee language is through a legislative lens. As much as teams want to look authoritative with it, a club's guarantee language is like state law while the league's CBA and JDA are federal law. And a football-type contract right now is illegal in baseball. Even if an arbitrator were to embolden teams that try to wiggle out of long-term deals, doing so because a player stinks, which is perfectly acceptable in the NFL, never, ever will happen in baseball."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/are-ml...contracts-more-like-the-nfl-s--132156423.html

Until this changes, baseball will continue to decline in popularity.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well of course it is, the question was how and why...

"Perhaps the best way to view guarantee language is through a legislative lens. As much as teams want to look authoritative with it, a club's guarantee language is like state law while the league's CBA and JDA are federal law. And a football-type contract right now is illegal in baseball. Even if an arbitrator were to embolden teams that try to wiggle out of long-term deals, doing so because a player stinks, which is perfectly acceptable in the NFL, never, ever will happen in baseball."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/are-ml...contracts-more-like-the-nfl-s--132156423.html

Until this changes, baseball will continue to decline in popularity.

Baseball is not hurting at all

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Baseball is not hurting at all

Oh yes it is, but it isn't because of contracts. It's because youth have many more options. The more who play LAX and soccer the fewer grow up to watch MLB.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I probably shouldn't have commented on basketball as I'm a fringe fan at best but suffice to say the point i was trying to make was that OKC vs the lakers is no where near oakland vs the yankees

I'll say it for ya, the NBA rules are a joke! They're setup for teams to tank on purpose for years, and then try to sign a dream team. Teams are penalized for drafting well, and where else can you watch the same teams in the finals year after year?