When is Bryant coming to join Baez???

Derek Nichol

Liked Posts:
I wrote a column last week about why I thought the Cubs would change their mind and bring Baez up this year. I thought it was a long shot while I was doing it but it happened and he has 3 home runs and 5 RBI's in his first 3 career games with the club.

So now the question is when do they make the move and get Bryant out of Iowa? They said they wouldn't change their plans with him just like they said about Baez but look who's hitting in the 2 spot now.

What you think: When will Bryant make his Cubs debut?
A.) This year
B.) Next year

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Next year. Its a contract thing.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Soler up this year. Bryant up next.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I think Soler and Bryant will both be up. Soler is a sure thing for a call up, Bryant is like 50/50.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
It would be tremendously shitty if the Cubs call up Baez and Soler but leave Bryant because they want more control

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It would be tremendously shitty if the Cubs call up Baez and Soler but leave Bryant because they want more control

He will be called up when they feel he is ready. Just because he is hitting for average and power, and has done it at both levels this year does not mean that he has passed all of the tests.

It is not strictly a money thing. Once he passes the tests and does it continuously and with regularity, then they will call him up. I know they would like to test him this year against some major league pitching, but like Baez and Alcantara, they did what needed to be done and improved on all of their flaws before they were promoted.

It's the Cubs way of doing things, and I don't blame them for the way they are going about business. The last thing I want is another Corey Patterson or Felix Pie, especially with last years 1st round pick.

Soler should definitely get a few swings this year though.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

If he doesnt get called up, the Cubs can bring him up after 3 weeks at the start of next season and gain a full year of control. That weighs into their thinking.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I have no reason to think that Bryant will be called up. The organization hasn't hinted at that, but I would personally like to see it happen.

The best thing to watch with Bryant is his K % and BB %. Both Baez and Alcantara got called up when they had an entire month of them with decreased K rates and increased BB rates. They seem to see that as a good sign of plate maturity.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The best thing to watch with Bryant is his K % and BB %. Both Baez and Alcantara got called up when they had an entire month of them with decreased K rates and increased BB rates. They seem to see that as a good sign of plate maturity.

Contact rate. Baez improved his a good bit. Bryant was sitting around Baez in contact rate. They want to see that and other things jump up or down.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Contact rate. Baez improved his a good bit. Bryant was sitting around Baez in contact rate. They want to see that and other things jump up or down.

Interesting, what do they use to measure contact rate? And where do I find it? #statjunkiehere

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Bryant's likely ready but they are probably fidgeting with service time stuff. I have said since he was in AA I thought he'd be called up and I thought Baez likely would stay at AAA because at the time he wasn't playing all that well. Having now seen what was done I suppose I understand the logic of calling Baez up this season. For one he was crushing the ball of late in AAA. And for two, it gives him time to adjust to the majors in more or less meaningless games allowing them to make decisions on next years roster. For example, if Baez plays well enough to break camp with the cubs you can likely avoid CF in FA as Alcantara would man that with Baez at 2B.

On the other hand Bryant has shown an ability to quickly adjust to new levels/ways he's being pitched. Therefore, you can likely have some confidence calling him up in say may next year. Additionally, they already have Olt and Valbuena as in house options to play 3B for a short term until Bryant is called up.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting, what do they use to measure contact rate? And where do I find it? #statjunkiehere

Contact rate(ct%)

((AB - K) / AB)

Measures a batter's ability to get wood on the ball and hit it into the field of play. BENCHMARKS: Those batters with the best contact skill will have levels of 90% or better. The hackers of society will have levels of 75% or less.

Bryant contact rate was sitting at 63% last time I checked. Baez was at 62%, but got better over the year. They have them on fangraphs. Its on the players page you look up under plate discipline. They dont show the minors but you can do the math.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Contact rate(ct%)

((AB - K) / AB)

Measures a batter's ability to get wood on the ball and hit it into the field of play. BENCHMARKS: Those batters with the best contact skill will have levels of 90% or better. The hackers of society will have levels of 75% or less.

Bryant contact rate was sitting at 63% last time I checked. Baez was at 62%, but got better over the year. They have them on fangraphs. Its on the players page you look up under plate discipline. They dont show the minors but you can do the math.

Right now and after tonights game where he went 1 for 2 with a HR and a SO, Bryant has had 164 AB's minus 53 K's divided by the 164 equals a .676% contact rate.

With his current AB's, you would have to figure that if you multiply that by 3 (which would be in the vicinity of a years AB's) he is going to strikeout nearly 160 times or more. That is in the Soriano category and I don't even think I need to look it up.

He definitely has to improve on his strikeouts. A good area for him would be in the 110 strikeout range for 500 AB's. That would be roughly a 78% contact rate.