IST: Tampa Bay Rays at Chicago Cubs (August 8-10)

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come on SilenceS, you know as well as anyone who watched the game for years that 99.999% of time, the closer will be brought in the top of 9th in a tie game to hold a team and give your team a chance to win in bottom of inning.

Only other situation the closer wouldn't be used in that situation is if he been used in consecutive games and need a break

this is quite common during home games.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The closer is conditioned to come in in certain situations. Tie ball game isn't one of them. Top of the order didn't do squat. I rest my case.

100% wrong. wtf are people watching? jesus.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The idea that closers are mentally conditioned to only pitch with a 3 run or less lead is a quite common idea. It is pretty silly when you really sit down and analyze it.
it also common to see a closer come into the game in the top of 9th in a tie game to hold the team and give your team a chance to win in bottom of inning needing just 1 run.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=648

While a closer has the greatest potential impact with a one-run lead in every inning, a tie-game situation is not far behind. In particular, closers have almost as much impact in tie games as they do with one-run leads when at home. Remember the expression, "play for a tie at home, play for a win on the road? " In this case, it's true. If a closer is used to keep the game tied for the home team, the strategy will pay off more often than not.

So how should a team prioritize the use of its best reliever?

HOME

1) Top 9th, lead by 1 (.170)
2) Top 9th, tied (.160)
3) Top 8th, lead by 1 (.123)

closers are used to preserve a tie game at home in the top of 9th....

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This nugget is in the same article-

Bottom 9th, tied .331 .491 .160
So even though the strategy is to bring the closer in a tie game at home, bringing the closer in the bottom of the ninth in the same situation (tie) yields the same "benefit". Thus, the premise of bringing in the closer in that situation just because the Cubs were the home team is bogus.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This nugget is in the same article-

So even though the strategy is to bring the closer in a tie game at home, bringing the closer in the bottom of the ninth in the same situation (tie) yields the same "benefit". Thus, the premise of bringing in the closer in that situation just because the Cubs were the home team is bogus.
ok, so you see now that for the most part a manager at home will bring in their closer in the 9th to preserve a tie game like Renteria did yesterday. ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I HATE umps with bias against rookies!!!!!!!!!

Low AND outside, ump makes no call.....catcher frames it.....strike 3!

Unprofessional.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Did Ruggiano just forget there was a man on 3rd? :smh:

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Now there's a good at bat for Javi, worked the plate nicely, laid off a high fastball, and got a good pitch to drive, which he did.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can't blame Jackson for that loss. Seems what he is doing is working right now.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
ok, so you see now that for the most part a manager at home will bring in their closer in the 9th to preserve a tie game like Renteria did yesterday. ?

Go back and read my initial comment on the subject. You've created a strawman and won the internet.