#1 WR BATTLE - SI.com

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I had no idea that this was even happening, seen nothing on twitter to support it, so maybe we should take it with a grain of salt...

"Brandon Marshall has been the No. 1 receiver, but that’ll change this season. The 24-year-old Alshon Jeffery is simply the more dangerous target. Long arms and springy, long legs give Jeffery an extraordinary catching radius, both vertically and horizontally. Something to consider: Being the No.1 receiver may actually decrease Jeffery’s opportunities, since defenses will be focusing more coverages on him. Either way, you can’t go wrong drafting a Bears starting receiver."

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/09/chicago-bears-2014-nfl-training-camp-report/

When I asked my friends with premium content access if this was true, they didn't know either, so I guess mainstream journalism has an edge here. Brandon Marshall is going to be the number two reciever this year????

I guess Alshon has made tremendous strides and Marshall does have that issue with his hip and he is old now, but seems a little premature to demote the Beast, no?

Something smells bad here and I hope there isn't some sort of rapid decline in Marshall's game that the coaches aren't telling us about. We may need to look to the draft for a number 2 WR next year if that's the case. Maybe move Marshall to WR coach?

I'm optimistic though because Alshon is just great and i'm sure with the 3rd WR Debacle the coaches and scouting staff are going to get in front of this quickly.

Nick80

IS there a possibility that Marshall becomes the primary slot receiver and then becomes the number three, thus bumping Williams to the outside?

phorton44

Liked Posts:
IS there a possibility that Marshall becomes the primary slot receiver and then becomes the number three, thus bumping Williams to the outside?

Sarcasm, right? In all seriousness, Alshon operated out of the slot quite a bit last year. I'm sure one of them could move inside on 3WR sets frequently this year.

Nick80

Sarcasm, right? In all seriousness, Alshon operated out of the slot quite a bit last year. I'm sure one of them could move inside on 3WR sets frequently this year.

Not at all. Putting Cutlers fave. target in the slot and also making him a leading light to block again on reverses and sweeps/pitches. It makes sense if you think about it.

phorton44

Liked Posts:
Not at all. Putting Cutlers fave. target in the slot and also making him a leading light to block again on reverses and sweeps/pitches. It makes sense if you think about it.

Sure, putting one of the monsters in the slot makes a ton of sense, and they do it. It was calling Marshall the "#3" in that scenario that smelled like sarcasm. So, I was jus trying to get clarity. I get what you mean now though.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

In case people aren't noticing, Brandon Marshall has and always will be put into the slot very often. I would virtually bet that Marshall spent more time in the slot last season than Alshon did. Even if not, its not much less than Alshon did.

Nick80

In case people aren't noticing, Brandon Marshall has and always will be put into the slot very often. I would virtually bet that Marshall spent more time in the slot last season than Alshon did. Even if not, its not much less than Alshon did.

He could do it even more if he played the #3 on a perma basis.

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
#1 WR duo....they dont give a fuck about individual play. They make plays for the team. Fuck the depth chart, good luck finding anyone who can shut these two down in the same game.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marshall is now a natural leader and far more complete player. No one, not even the great Jefferies, can take his #1 spot away.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Watch all the highlight videos from last year. These guys mix it up as much as possible. Both play every position and both sides of the field. Marshall plays slot a bit more often. Marshall seems to prefer playing the X (split end) and Jim Miller calls him the ultimate X because he can get off press so easy. Otherwise, both run every route in the tree.

The Bears #1 WR is Marshall and Jeffery.

It's like Wayne/Harrison or any good combo. In any year, both are probably 70+ catches, 1000+ yards. Who does better depends on random circumstances and who stays healthy.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

That may not be the case very soon if the tweets about his hip are true...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
tWAT? Wut tweets.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well that narrows it down.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Come on. You gotta understand Mr Sarcasm is the OP here.