IST: Milwaukee Brewers at Chicago Cubs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
True. But Arietta is hardly an experienced starter.

And they don't need to sign a vet FA and have him baby sit all the young guys. Hopefully Wood can bounce back and be the #3 or 4.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
"The end of Alcantara"???

This guy will turn out to be far more valuable than some apparently think. He can get on base, he steals bases and runs the bases well. He can play good D in the IF or OF. And he'll hit just fine. And has some pop.

He is underappreciated.

I agree. I was surprised how well he played 2B. Now I'm surprised to see how well he's handling CF. It's nice to see a base stealing threat again. And yes, he's got pop as well. He's also can switch hit. Cubs fans should be hoping this kid learns how to hit for average!

I'll tell ya what he can't do, however, Bunt! #buntinglostart - Gawd awful the times I've seen him. This kid could be great if he can get on base.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

And they don't need to sign a vet FA and have him baby sit all the young guys. Hopefully Wood can bounce back and be the #3 or 4.
If they think that they have a shot with the young talent, there is no reason a vet FA who has been in the WS would not be worth more than a babysitter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Jake arrieta has 90 major league starts under his belt in 5 seasons, id call that experience...

Baby sit all the young guys? Who ? Hendricks ?

Their going to bring in at least one TOR starter

If wood isnt traded he going to be competing with at least 5 other starters for 1 or 2 spots depending on if they sign 1 FA or 2

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jake arrieta has 90 major league starts under his belt in 5 seasons, id call that experience...

Baby sit all the young guys? Who ? Hendricks ?

Their going to bring in at least one TOR starter

If wood isnt traded he going to be competing with at least 5 other starters for 1 or 2 spots depending on if they sign 1 FA or 2

I would only write in Arrieta and Hendricks right now. I would like to see them give Wada an opportunity next year also.
He has honestly been pretty good so far. His ERA (not including today) 3.53 FIP 3.62 Pretty much what his ERA should be. 8.13 SO/9 2.93 BB/9.

I wouldn't treat him like they did Rusin. He is a major league talent.

The guys who bother me are Turner and Felix. Neither have had success yet. Wood I would trade out. He got lucky last year and his production can back to earth.

Even if they ended up getting Lester and then traded out Wood we would be looking at Lester, Arrieta, Hendricks, Wada, Jackson Then Edwards in AAA hopefully to back fill for Jackson after they get a buyer...(here is to hoping).

Turner IMO has a bigger chance of busting. His secondary pitches never developed. Straily seems like another Villenueva. His FB hardly breaks 90 MPH. Not really a fan of his. Felix I would keep around if Wada falls off the table.

If they decide to spend big on Lester than they need to drop Wood's arb2 then extend Arrieta at the same time. Lock up the TOR then let Hendricks be the 3 and keep Wada in to keep the cost down in the back end.

If they trade out Jackson next deadline then promote Edwards.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But some FIP info:
Arrieta: 2.37
Wood: 4.14
Jackson: 4.18
Wada: 3.35
Hendricks: 3.30

League avg is 4.00 So Wood and Jackson are below league avg pitchers while the rest have put up better than league avg production.

Just to compare
Shark as a Cub: 3.09 FIP
Hammel 3.19 FIP.

They lost value after the trade but the kids have not hurt them like Wood and Jackson have been all year. This team is not talented enough to support a SP with a FIP over 4.

The main problem with Wood was last year he had full control over his cutter. This year he lost it. Even after his best year his FIP ended up at 3.89. A tick under league avg. His ERA was not accurate and he had some luck factor going on.

Getting back to his cutter: BB/9 last year 2.97 This year 3.95. Full walk over. Even with the Reds his worst was 3.40. First year with the Cubs 3.12 BB/9. Seeing how he is a cutter pitcher it all comes down to locating it. His last 2 games he has worked 12 IP and given up 3 ER's. What I didn't like was that he gave up 6 BB over those 12 IP. Another reason why I would rather deal him out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Good ol reliable Edwin Jackson giving up a couple first inning runs..

Shawon_Dunston

Liked Posts:
Hey, we've been losing ground in the race for the #1 pick... EJax is our secret weapon...

And somebody has to have a bad start so Turner can get some work. He can't pitch if the starters keep pitching well deep into games. EJax to the rescue.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Is there any reasonable shot at the Cubs trading E-Jax this offseason?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Another reason to get rid of Jackson

@MarkPotash: #Cubs are losing 5-0. Of Edwin Jackson’s 135 2/3 innings this season, the Cubs have been leading for only 19 2/3 of them. Ugh.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Another reason to get rid of Jackson

@MarkPotash: #Cubs are losing 5-0. Of Edwin Jackson’s 135 2/3 innings this season, the Cubs have been leading for only 19 2/3 of them. Ugh.

He's a Lester type pitcher tho....Doh!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This Chicago LL team kikn ass.. 10-2
They have a couple 12 YO that looks 16 lol

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
E-Jax ERA is 5.74

The 2nd worst is Danks at 4.96

Send Jackson to the pen. Let Turner take his place and see if they can dump him this winter

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
1.1 perfect innings from Turner so far... 14 pitches. This guy is the real deal... ;)