Bulls Plan B is Better than Plan A

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
After two seasons of injury-inflicted limbo, it's easy for a jaded NBA fan in Chicago to see this offseason as bittersweet. After winning more regular-season games than any team in the league during Tom Thibodeau's first two seasons as head coach, Chicago's vaunted depth fell victim to cap considerations and an injured knee. The Bulls made the playoffs each of the past two seasons and even won a postseason series, but it was the summer of 2014 that beckoned. This was going to be the time when the Bulls would not only welcome Derrick Rose back into the fold, but they'd be able to surround him with the star power that would propel Chicago into title contention.

The Bulls' offseason strategy drew some mixed reactions. The concern was that Chicago's contingency plan for missing out on Carmelo Anthony just wasn't sexy enough. By focusing on depth rather than star power, the Bulls risked getting stuck on the same plateau they were on before Rose's first knee injury. Good, but not great. It's a scenario we've seen before.

This has indeed been an epic offseason in the NBA, with top teams plummeting and new contenders taking aim at the crown. The two players who finished immediately behind Kevin Durant for tops in the league in wins above replacement (WARP) either changed teams, or soon will. Neither of those players -- LeBron James and Kevin Love -- will join Rose in Chicago. Instead, they will team up in Cleveland, setting up an eventual conference finals showdown with the Bulls that seems every bit as inevitable as the Miami-Indiana series was last season. Plan A didn't happen.

But the Bulls' Plan B included Pau Gasol successfully being wooed from the Lakers, Nikola Mirotic arriving from Spain and Kirk Hinrich sticking around. Aaron Brooks was added to back up Rose. Chicago re-created the depth plan that worked well before. That approach wasn't enough to overcome James in Miami, but there are compelling reasons to believe this time may be different.

Reasons to believe
A basic tenet of NBA analysis is that all teams exist to pursue championships, and strategies that seal a team off from that pursuit must be avoided. When Chicago signed Gasol, the fear was the Bulls had fallen into just such a strategy. But to avoid getting stuck, teams need to not only have a sturdy foundation in place, but they need to have upside on their roster beyond the core players. As the summer has progressed, it's become apparent that may be what's occurred in Chicago. The key developments:

Derrick Rose: Rose is the cornerstone, but after 10 subpar games in two years, he doesn't engender much optimism on the statistical front. His projection is not only less than half of Joakim Noah's, but it's lower than those of Mirotic and Jimmy Butler. Meanwhile, Rose is back on the court and drawing plaudits for his performance with Team USA. Rose was worth 16.6 WARP during his last healthy season. While his full recovery might eat into the production of his teammates, it would also considerably boost Chicago's already excellent forecast.

Joakim Noah: For all the caterwauling about Chicago missing out on a second star, we need to remember that Noah was a first-team, All-NBA center last season, the Defensive Player of the Year and ranked 10th in the league in WARP. Chicago's solid early projection is a product of Noah's excellence, and depth. He has become that missing star.

[+] Enlarge
Jack Arent/NBAE via Getty Images
Doug McDermott lived up to his sharp-shooting reputation during the Summer League.
Nikola Mirotic: You want upside? Mirotic was MVP of a high-level European league at 22 years of age. He's long, with inside-outside skills, a reputation for unselfishness and a skill set that is ideally suited to work off Rose. His statistical translations are outstanding. Early SCHOENE has Mirotic at 5.2 WARP in just 25 forecasted minutes per game. That would make him the leading contender for Rookie of the Year.

Summer stars: We just finished watching Bulls first-rounder Doug McDermott light up the Las Vegas Summer League, and second-year wing Tony Snell play like a guy poised for a breakout sophomore season in the same circuit. In Mirotic and McDermott, the Bulls can feature two elite deep shooters who both have a number of value-added aspects to their arsenals. McDermott has the third-highest WARP projection among rookies, and that's in just 20 MPG. And if Snell's improvement is real, Chicago could have all 10 of its rotation players performing better than replacement.

San Antonio Spurs: No one can match the consistency and continuity of the Spurs. Still, San Antonio demonstrated that those traits along with selflessness, depth and coaching can trump star power and win championships. Given the max-level dollars Cleveland will be spending to keep its star trio intact, the Bulls should continue to have the depth and continuity that the Cavaliers will have to sacrifice. And while we're high on new Cavs coach Dave Blatt, Thibodeau is a proven commodity in Chicago.

New pecking order
Before the Love trade moved toward the realm of the real, Chicago appeared to be a bona fide Finals candidate, one of the five most improved teams in the league. The problem is by going LeBron-plus-one, a true powerhouse is forming in Cleveland. James, Love and Kyrie Irving alone accumulated 50 WARP between them a season ago, meaning that even if the rest of the Cleveland roster is merely replacement level, the Cavs would project to win 60 games. And this will be just the first season of Cleveland's new-found excellence. In effect, the vibe in the East could be the same as it's been, with Cleveland and Chicago replacing Miami and Indiana.

Let's be clear: The addition of Love makes Cleveland the clear favorite in the East, and probably in the NBA. The general lack of continuity on the Cavs' roster could be an issue that prevents them from getting past whichever power emerges from the West, and we all remember that it took a full season before the Heat really hit their stride with James. But that team did win its conference. The Bulls, meanwhile, are the clear-cut No. 2 team in the East, a clear rung below the Cavaliers. Yet there is no reason for Chicago to concede anything -- not that Thibodeau would ever let that happen anyway.

Chicago can't match the star power in Cleveland, so perhaps it was best not to try. Alternatively, the Bulls created a deep and versatile roster that combines the certainty of veterans and the upside of youth. The full range of the Bulls' potential outcomes means they haven't consigned themselves to the second tier by any means. In the end, a great new rivalry between Chicago and Cleveland should emerge -- one which may turn out to be more sweet than bitter for the Bulls.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11337607/the-chicago-bulls-contingency-plan-take-far-nba

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Meh... aside from replacing Deng with McBuckets, not much has changed in Chicago.

All the pressure is still on Rose to be an MVP and carry the team... by himself.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
They keep trying to sell me on Gasol, but once again, the Bulls got the player they needed a few years too late. I just don't see him staying healthy enough to make an impact, and there's still question marks around Rose and Mirotic. Although, in Mirotic's case, it's better than most completely raw rookies.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
no, no it wasnt

SP33

Liked Posts:
I feel like the Bulls have more upside.
Each players ceilings:
Jimmy Butler- Scottie Pippen
Tony Snell- Khwai Leonard
Doug McDermott- Michael Dunleavy in his prime, that will be his teammate after all.
Mirotic- Toni Kukoc

Adding a supposedly "back to elite" Derrick Rose
Noah has still yet to hit his ceiling and continues to develop into one of the most versatile centers this league has ever seen. While maintaining defensive honors.
Taj gibson, boarder line 6th MAN of the year. Defensive beast
Pau Gasol- we know his resume. interior scoring threat.

The Bulls have a ton of different line ups to throw at any team for any situation.

I can picture the matchups now

Derrick Rose vs Kyrie Irving
Michael Dunleavy vs Dion Waiters
Jimmy Butler vs Lebron James
Taj Gibson vs Kevin Love
Joakim Noah vs Anderson Verijao

Kirk Hinrich (bulls all time 3pt field goals made) defensive guard vs who?
Tony Snell vs who?
Doug McDermott vs who?
Nikola Mirotic vs who?
Pau Gasol vs who?

It starts to get real once the superstars on Cleveland start to get tired or cramp up and need a sub.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Each players ceilings:
Doug McDermott- Michael Dunleavy in his prime, that will be his teammate after all.
Mirotic- Toni Kukoc

allot of optimism in this post...allow me to be the debbie downer and be realistic

Jimmy's ceiling is more like Trevor Ariza
Snells game is nothing like Leonard and probably will never be as good
hoping Doug will be better than MDJ
Nikola doesn't have the ball handling of Kukoc...right now im saying Ryan Anderson is his ceiling until i can really get a good look at him then i might reassess

Noah has still yet to hit his ceiling and continues to develop into one of the most versatile centers this league has ever seen. While maintaining defensive honors.

i think he has....cant possibly see him getting much better...hes already allot better than ppl thought he would be

Michael Dunleavy vs Jodie Meeks

you mean Dion Waiters?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Each players ceilings:
Mirotic- Toni Kukoc

The Bulls have a ton of different line ups to throw at any team for any situation.

Taj Gibson vs Kevin Love

Kirk Hinrick (bulls all time 3pt field goals made) defensive guard vs who?
Tony Snell vs who?
Doug McDermott vs who?
Nikola Mirotic vs who?
Pau Gasol vs who?

It starts to get real once the superstars on Cleveland start to get tired or cramp up and need a sub.

Sorry, I didn't take my Koolaid pill today. Jimmy Butler can be Scottie Pippen and Tony Snell has K Leonard like strenth and agility. Got it!

Bear06

Liked Posts:
Each players ceilings:
Mirotic- Toni Kukoc

Taj Gibson vs Kevin Love

Tony Snell vs who?
Doug McDermott vs who?
Nikola Mirotic vs who?
Pau Gasol vs who?

Are you SP94? :troll: BTW I agree with your last sentence.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Each players ceilings:
Mirotic- Toni Kukoc

Taj Gibson vs Kevin Love

Tony Snell vs who?
Doug McDermott vs who?
Nikola Mirotic vs who?
Pau Gasol vs who?

And here I thought I was the delusional one. Not gonna deny you your dream, but we aren't sitting that sweetly.

Also, who looks to Dunleavy and says, "I hope I peak at his level." lol.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Guys we're screwed...just accept it

SP33

Liked Posts:
Dunleavy in his prime as a starter for the Pacers put up something like 20/5/3 while shooting 45% fg and over 40% from behind the arc. He was no defensive slouch either. Those numbers can't just be discredited as trash.

SP33

Liked Posts:
So we missed out on Melo and there is rioting in the forums of the Chicago basketball world? We've already been through Melo drama. He's a loser. And he's OK with it to make things worse. Get over it. In one of the most stacked draft classes the NBA has ever seen, the Bulls got the number 1 scorer in the nation. McDermott, sure he's no franchise cornerstone. But he can score. Mirotic has been getting hyped for years now. The best player in the world outside the NBA. Sure some pessimist could say (that's like being the smartist kid with downsyndrome). I like to think, if he has Special person-like abilities, yo shoot 45% from downtown, more power to him. Let the defender sleep on him and see what happens. Pau was not the best signing, because we know exactly what we're getting. 16/8 on roughly 32 mpg. Another Carlos Boozer? No. Drink a glass of water, slam 2 aleve, and get over that hang over already. They are entirely different players with different styles and resumes. All the Bulls needed was offense these past 4 years. They finally have it. 5 guys on the roster that shoot over the league average (36%) from 3pt land. Athletic wings for penetration, stretch 4, interior combo forward/center in Gasol. The pick and rolls/ pick and pops are going to be insane. The Lebrons and Durants of the world in all their infinite endless reservoirs of talent, can only guard 1 player at a time. This is exactly why San Antonio has been taking them to school for years. Have you people been living under a rock for the past 16 years, since the Jordan era? What in the wild wild world of sports is going on when fans don't believe in their team anymore? Just because we don't land some "I'm OK with being the hometown hero that loses most of the time" like Carmelo Anthony, all of the sudden all hope is lost? Go ahead and call me a homer, I welcome it, I know a franchise championship caliber roster when I see one. The Bulls are right there with the top contenders and will remain there for years. Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I really hate being the bearer of bad news, and would love to drink the koolaid with you. However, I cannot ignore reality and common sense.

Here's a link to the top 50 scorers in the NCAA last year. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/136/p1

Pay close attention to the names of the players and the schools they played for. You will notice that almost all of them played at weaker, 2nd or 3rd tier programs. In fact, Cameron Bairstow, the kid we drafted from New Mexico, is ranked 19th on that list. The only NBA caliber talent from a major program listed is Jabari Parker at #40. Elfrid Payton, drafted out of Louisiana-Lafayette by Orlando, is the only other NBA talent I see. My point in all this, is that this list, and having the distinction of being on it, are largely irrelevant in NBA terms. All it means really is that you were a big fish in a very small pond. There is a tremendous gap between scoring 30 points against Evansville and 30 points in an NBA game. The talent level is exponentially higher in the NBA among your teammates and your opposition. We Bulls fans should be cautiously optimistic and wait to see if McDermott and Mirotic can transition smoothly to the NBA game before talking about our chances to win anything.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Have you watched basketball prior to last season? Noah very well may not have hit his ceiling but I would say he is close. But he'll never, ever be in the talk of all time centers unless he's hosting the show.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have you watched basketball prior to last season? Noah very well may not have hit his ceiling but I would say he is close. But he'll never, ever be in the talk of all time centers unless he's hosting the show.
Unless you were talking about best passing centers...he'd probably be mentioned at least.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Nailed it, brett05. A lot of young Bulls fans don't know the history of the game.