"Hitting Wins Championships" (Article)

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
It does make a lot of sense, and their methods are proving to be working not only in getting better pitchers for cheap and in control, but in able to flip them for more assets.

Our depth at the AAA/MLB level has to be the best in the majors right now 2-5 rotation wise. With Arrieta, Hendricks, Wada, Wood, Jackson, Straily, Turner, Doubront, Jokish, Rusin, Beeler. That is 10 guys we have going into next year depth wise, and if we sign a TOR our rotation of TOR, Arrieta, Hendricks, and whoever wins out in ST next year gives us a great chance of being playoff contenders if our hitting pans out.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It does make a lot of sense, and their methods are proving to be working not only in getting better pitchers for cheap and in control, but in able to flip them for more assets.

Our depth at the AAA/MLB level has to be the best in the majors right now 2-5 rotation wise
. With Arrieta, Hendricks, Wada, Wood, Jackson, Straily, Turner, Doubront, Jokish, Rusin, Beeler. That is 10 guys we have going into next year depth wise, and if we sign a TOR our rotation of TOR, Arrieta, Hendricks, and whoever wins out in ST next year gives us a great chance of being playoff contenders if our hitting pans out.

Put the Kool-Aid down

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Oh (No), Brett!

O what? Could it work? No one ever said it couldn't. The fact is it rarely happens. The article did nothing to refute Pitching Wins.

They are gambling and they are benefitting from some bad moves by other organizations. For that I give them credit. Still a big risk.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Considering runs scored are at an all-time low in the MLB...I love the strategy of loading up on the sticks. You'd have to think Jed and Theo saw the trend heading that direction.

I was thinking yesterday that the Cubs aren't really THAT far from contending for a WC spot. You'd think if we added one of Lester/Scherzer this winter and maybe an Ian Kennedy, that we'd be a better 25 man roster than what the Pirates made the playoffs with last year?

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
The suggestion was made to share this article in a new thread... so here's an article about how the FO's strategy to load up on bats could be a pretty good one...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/c...epstein-javier-baez-kris-bryant-jake-arrieta/

I thought is was a great article, but the title is somewhat misleading, imo. I still think good pitching beats good hitting in the playoffs. Only great hitters beat good pitching. Great pitchers trump all, imo.

I'm glad that these positive 'looks' are coming out finally as I think Theoyer have done a great job. Rickets, if anyone, is not spending the money on the big league team. But we knew this, right? That's why I can't stand the bitching.

Eventually however, the Cubs are gonna be a big market spending team again. It's just a matter of time. And when that times comes, they will spend it on proven pitching. The article basically says it's less risky to develop pitching rather than hitting.

This makes a ton of sense to me as, with pitching, you never know how the arm holds out, among other things. The Cubs strategy with bringing in cheap pitching that could pan out, in the meantime, is brilliant.

We're seeing it now with some of the young pitchers. If Turner pans out too, it's another great move by them. The Cubs young hitters don't have to be great coming up. They just have to be solid MLB'ers.

The Cubs are doing a great job, imo. Theo is doing what he can with the money he has right now. In a couple few years, imo, people are really gonna be looking at this positively. Wrigley field will be nicer (long time coming), and the Cubs will be playing good ball again.

And before the southside koolaid thankbangers chime in, ask yourself this question. "Can your Sox hold off the Cubs for the better record THIS year? :dunno: :nervous::popcorn:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And before the southside koolaid thankbangers chime in, ask yourself this question. "Can your Sox hold off the Cubs for the better record THIS year? :dunno: :nervous::popcorn:

Given all the injuries you Bear Pride may wonder why the Cubs aren't mopping the floor of the Sox record wise. That would concern me more

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given all the injuries you Bear Pride may wonder why the Cubs aren't mopping the floor of the Sox record wise. That would concern me more

I like our chances more going forward. But, I would trade you Edwin Jackson for Chris Sale! Just drinking the kool aid!

:cubstroll2:

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:

Boy, you Sox fans are full of excuses. :cubspalm:

ZAN

Liked Posts:

It wouldn't concern me. Theo and Jed give no shits about winning anything until the core four are on the roster together. Anything that happens now that Baez is up is a plus. You think Theo and Jed wouldn't prefer another top 3 pick next season instead of the top 6-7 it looks like they are headed towards?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
O what? Could it work? No one ever said it couldn't. The fact is it rarely happens. The article did nothing to refute Pitching Wins.

They are gambling and they are benefitting from some bad moves by other organizations. For that I give them credit. Still a big risk.

It does refute pitching wins, you just have to follow some links to previous articles.

http://grantland.com/features/mlb-detroit-tigers-oakland-as-rotations/

If you read in there it goes on to reference another two articles

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18414

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?type=2&articleid=18414#123838

The whole point in investing in bats is that it isn't as risky. If we invested in pitchers, that would be a big risk.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It wouldn't concern me. Theo and Jed give no shits about winning anything until the core four are on the roster together. Anything that happens now that Baez is up is a plus. You think Theo and Jed wouldn't prefer another top 3 pick next season instead of the top 6-7 it looks like they are headed towards?
You're conversing with a Sox fan who held out hope that his team was good enough to even maybe perhaps in a good year could have possibly scrambled to make it as a loser in the Wild Card bracket of the playoffs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It does refute pitching wins, you just have to follow some links to previous articles.

http://grantland.com/features/mlb-detroit-tigers-oakland-as-rotations/

If you read in there it goes on to reference another two articles

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18414

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?type=2&articleid=18414#123838

The whole point in investing in bats is that it isn't as risky. If we invested in pitchers, that would be a big risk.
Do u agree the article fails at the headline. Got just one link that shows hitting trumps pitching? ??

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You're conversing with a Sox fan who held out hope that his team was good enough to even maybe perhaps in a good year could have possibly scrambled to make it as a loser in the Wild Card bracket of the playoffs.
I said from the go we are an 81 team and better than the Cubs. If we were healthy we'd be a wildcard team and as we are now....bettee than the Cubs

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do u agree the article fails at the headline. Got just one link that shows hitting trumps pitching? ??

Statistical Proof is one of those things that needs to be approved by at least 67% of baseball writers, right?

I don't know why I would need more than one link, Brett. Oh yes, I do. You're an idiot.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I said from the go we are an 81 team and better than the Cubs. If we were healthy we'd be a wildcard team and as we are now....bettee than the Cubs
Your team plays a softer schedule than the Cubs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Statistical Proof is one of those things that needs to be approved by at least 67% of baseball writers, right?

I don't know why I would need more than one link, Brett. Oh yes, I do. You're an idiot.
Still waiting for one link....do you need that defined for you???