In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
During his career with the Bulls, Michael Jordan averaged 38.6 minutes per game. Last season Jimmy Butler played 38.7 mpg and everyone pretty much says Thibs overplayed him. With that in mind, how many minutes per game would you expect to see the Bulls players get this season?

Rose: 32m
Butler: 36m
Noah: 36m

Pau: 28m
Taj: 28m
Kirk: 20m
DMac: 20m

MDJ: 12m
Miro: 12m
Snell: 12m

Brooks: 6m
Bairstow: 6m

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Rose will be minute limited. If he plays more than 30per, I'd be surprised TBH. At least if he does, I would expect it more at the end of the season, not at the start.

I also think Noah will play less as well, because he had knee surgery.

Pau, maybe 24mpg, like Boozer's late season arrangement that he didn't like. Although I think Pau will have the opportunity to play late game moments.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Derrick avg 31.1 minutes in his 10 games last season so I'd be surprised to see him under 30. I think its hard to set rotations for starters to get under 30 minutes. Boozer actually played 28.2 mpg for example and that was with Thibs keeping him out for entire 4th quarters. I can't see him trying that with Rose. I came up with 32m by giving Rose 4m of rest per quarter but I'm really not confident that Thibs will be sitting Rose that much.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The 24mpg Boozer deal was his rotational minutes(like I said, late season arrangement). I don't know how to clarify that any more. When Taj was hurt or in foul trouble, he obviously opened the door for Boozer to bump his averages. Considering the depth, the rotational MPG at PF will be a bigger indicator of what Pau will get, also considering his age and the whole "keep him fresh" for the post-season will be a bigger factor. Without the quality depth, then Thibs would just run the wheels off whoever.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I can see Butler's minutes coming down because Brooks will be able to come in behind Rose and Hinrich will be trusted to play the 2.

From the OP I would say you're really underestimating Dunleavy's minutes at 6 per half, that's even less than Boozer played, if they had no intention of playing Dunleavy they would have traded him. I think Snell will be taking minutes at the 2 and 3. At the same time you're WAY over on Mirotic and McDermott, there's no way on this Earth they'll be on the floor at the same time so neither is going to get close to those minutes. Bairstow isn't going to dress unless there's an injury. I would even say that when it comes to a small lineup with Snell at the 3 Butler will be at the 4 as Deng was in the past.

But most of all what trying to allocate the minutes does is point out how deep a team the Bulls have in comparison to others. They have starters who can play the bulk of the minutes but the guys they bring off the bench are capable of playing more and are a step or two above what other teams bring. A lot of players who come off the bench are one dimensional, either shooters or rebounders or defenders. Gibson and Snell can play on both ends as does Hinrich who can run the offense.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can see Butler's minutes coming down because Brooks will be able to come in behind Rose and Hinrich will be trusted to play the 2.

From the OP I would say you're really underestimating Dunleavy's minutes at 6 per half, that's even less than Boozer played, if they had no intention of playing Dunleavy they would have traded him. I think Snell will be taking minutes at the 2 and 3. At the same time you're WAY over on Mirotic and McDermott, there's no way on this Earth they'll be on the floor at the same time so neither is going to get close to those minutes. Bairstow isn't going to dress unless there's an injury. I would even say that when it comes to a small lineup with Snell at the 3 Butler will be at the 4 as Deng was in the past.

But most of all what trying to allocate the minutes does is point out how deep a team the Bulls have in comparison to others. They have starters who can play the bulk of the minutes but the guys they bring off the bench are capable of playing more and are a step or two above what other teams bring. A lot of players who come off the bench are one dimensional, either shooters or rebounders or defenders. Gibson and Snell can play on both ends as does Hinrich who can run the offense.

McDermott, Butler, Dunleavy will rotate between SF and SG likely and Rose, Hinrich, and Brooks will rotate the PG/SG positions. Basically we should be pretty deep with a good rotation. Throw in some Snell too if he produces.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To start the season? Maybe something like
Rose-33
Butler-36
Dunleavy-22
Pau-27
Noah-33

Taj-30
McDermott-22
Snell-7
Hinrich-20
Brooks-10
Mirotic-7

Everyone else-DNP in most cases.

No idea if that adds up, but somewhere in that vicinity. By the end of the year I might expect Pau's minutes to go down and Mirotic's minutes to go up.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
You guys really think Mirotic will only play 5-7 minutes per game? That's terrible for a guy they are paying $5M a year. I don't think Dunleavy is worthy of playing 20m per game at SF when you have McDermott, Mirotic, and Snell all capable of playing good minutes.

czman

Liked Posts:
I think the rotation will close to this:

Rose 33
Butler 37
Dunleavy 28
Pau 30
Noah 36

Hinrich 16
Snell/McDermott 10-15 I think ones gets close to 10 the close to 15.
Gibson 24
Mirotic 8
Brooks 0-5 Depending on how much Hinrich plays the 2 and how little Snell/McDermott are used. I am leaning towards Brooks getting 0 until Rose or Hirnich get hurt.

Bairstow will not get regular rotation minutes.

Two points. Since Tibs has been the coach twice the Bulls have had someone lead or tie for MPG and twice they had 2 players in the top 15. Even when the Bulls had the "bench mob" they still had players who played large minutes. I don't think anyone on this team should play more than 34 minutes and honestly I would like to see everyone stay under 32.

Lastly, as far as your MJ MPG comment, there is no MJ on this team. MJ at 70% is better than 100% of Dave Hansen.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You guys really think Mirotic will only play 5-7 minutes per game? That's terrible for a guy they are paying $5M a year. I don't think Dunleavy is worthy of playing 20m per game at SF when you have McDermott, Mirotic, and Snell all capable of playing good minutes.
I figure he'll get more minutes as the season goes on, but to start he'll probably get like 10 or less given how Thibs has managed rotations. I hope he gets more myself.

czman

Liked Posts:

Who knows. Tibs has benched players for not defending (Hamilton/Boozer). I have not seen this kid play one minute of NBA basketball. It is a complete guess at this point, so everything I typed should be taken with a grain, or 1000, of salt.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Who knows. Tibs has benched players for not defending (Hamilton/Boozer). I have not seen this kid play one minute of NBA basketball. It is a complete guess at this point, so everything I typed should be taken with a grain, or 1000, of salt.

he benched them because they sucked....not defense

Augustin couldn't defend a chair but he was drilling 3's so he stayed on the court

aslong as Nikola/McDermott are threats on one end they can get tick

besides its not like Dunleavy is some great defender anyway

czman

Liked Posts:
he benched them because they sucked not defense

DJ Augustin couldn't defend a chair but he was drilling 3's so he stayed on the court

PG is the only place Tibs has ever stomached subpar defense. Boozer did not suck on offense.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
PG is the only place Tibs has ever stomached subpar defense. Boozer did not suck on offense.

he did suck

he was good for the first and that was about it (outside of his usual stretches were he plays like a all-star for a week)

stats say Bulls were worse with Boozer on the floor on both sides

czman

Liked Posts:
he did suck

he was good for the first and that was about it (outside of his usual stretches were he plays like a all-star for a week)

stats say Bulls were worse with Boozer on the floor on both sides

Boozer was not better than Gibson.

17.5/10.6 per 36 minutes on ~46% shooting does not suck in my book. Boozer was not worth the money and was not a good fit for the Bulls. I have a hard time saying that sucks. Look around the league at some of the PFs.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I think people are underestimating Niko and Dougie, myself. These guys will contribute right away. Logic tells me that MDunn, Dougie, and Niko will split the minutes. I think MDunn will get less later in the season. I would say 10-15 minutes for those guys with the hot player at the end of the game.

And also terribly underestimating Brooks, imo. This guy came here to score for the Bulls. If he does that, he'll get some minutes. I don't see Kirk logging a lot of minutes cuz of this, at least not until late in the season maybe.

For me, I hope Butler gets at least 10 minutes less this year. If he's fresh, he should score a little more efficiently, and be effective on Defense at the end of games.

Thib's will try to keep Pau's and Noah's minutes down early, imo, so Taj should log some decent minutes and Niko could get some more minutes early at 4 if he's effective there as well.

Not too interested in putting numbers on it at this point.....

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's not underestimating players, as much as it's knowing what to expect with Thibs and rookies. Unless injuries line up rookies to get big minutes, he doesn't play them often.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
NBA games are 48 minutes; four 12 minute quarters (and a 15 minute half-time).

original.gif

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It's not underestimating players, as much as it's knowing what to expect with Thibs and rookies. Unless injuries line up rookies to get big minutes, he doesn't play them often.

I understand. I just think that they will both make a bigger impact than regular rookies for Thib's. Thus more minutes. Part of me thinks this cuz I'm also hoping Thib's changes a little with the minutes cuz of the depth. i think Thib's has no excuse to not spread the minutes out now. If he doesn't, I will be a little po'd actually.