Dan Straily

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Dan Straily will get the start on Saturday pushing everyone back a day...
No word on whether this is just a spot start or he will stay in rotation.

They have to make a roster move on Saturday to add him

Lake could get sent down again or maybe they just put jackson on DL or something

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
This sucks. Now I get to see Peavy and Jackson next Wednesday LOL

Hopefully Jackson is gone

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Straily: 7-6 4.06 ERA 102 IP 91 hits. 107 SO's. 39 BB. WHIP 1.27. Like he has more SO's than hits given up. Should be interesting.

Still I'm interested why?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What's next? The Cubs plan on calling up right-hander Dan Straily from Triple-A Iowa to start Saturday against the Mets and give the regulars a breather. The team is playing a stretch of 20 straight days. As of now, Jackson is scheduled to start Wednesday against the Giants.

"The organization has chances to look at guys, and they'll make moves they're going to make," Jackson said. "You have to worry about things you can control, and that's worrying about yourself and the things you can do once you have the ball."

So 20 game run and it looks like they will push the rotation to a 6 man. I'm expecting Lake demoted.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So 20 game run and it looks like they will push the rotation to a 6 man. I'm expecting Lake demoted.

I don't want to hijack the thread but if Lake is the one demoted I think it will be good for him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't want to hijack the thread but if Lake is the one demoted I think it will be good for him.

Would be if he was fixable. He lacks strike zone discipline. His career minor league BB% hovers around 5% and he has ran a 8:1 SO:BB ration. You want around 2:1.

He was not developed as a hitter properly. Bad developmental system and a over aggressive free swinger that lacks top end talent. He goes down that is that.

But back to Straily. Better than I figured. He still lacks a quality fastball but he seems to be managing well. I don't expect much.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think demoting Lake at this point in the year is going to do much.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Straily's velocity is supposedly up since leaving the A's due to changes in his mechanics. Will be interesting to see what happens if he does very well tomorrow

Hope so. Vid I watched on him he was topping out at 89. That is bad for a 4 seemer. Now if he was just tossing 2 seemers and cutters at 89 but had a back pocket 4 seemer that came in at 93 then we would have something.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People worry about velocity way too much. If he throws strikes, I'm happy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He's going to be working with Manny. Whether his future is with the Cubs or not, he can improve plate discipline and become tradeable.

Hasn't been announced yet. The problem with Lake is the same problem they had with Castro last year. It is not fixable. Castro has to be himself to have success. Lake is in the same boat except he lacks Castro's talent. Sure he has more power but he is not the same quality of hitter.

The reality is if he has been developing now for 7-8 years and has this many holes in his game there is little "fixing" that will help.

Old term:

Can't fix stupid.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
People worry about velocity way too much. If he throws strikes, I'm happy.

Matters some. More velocity means more margin for error. Less velocity means have to have better control.

Going over the middle of the plate with a 89 MPH 4 seemer when behind in the count can be very painful.

The key to success for these guys is to either induce ground balls with 2 seemers or live on the edges with cutters and 2 seemers and only go over the plate with breaking pitches.

From what I saw he his best pitch was his slider. If he can throw it for strikes then he should be fine as long as he stays ahead of the count.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lake could spend the next month working on things in minors then go to fall/winter ball to continue his adjustment.
Thing is I dont think cubs see him anymore then a bench player now or a trade piece..

In tbe final games were going to get a look at all the new starters so they can get an idea for next year

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Little ESPN article on the rotation:

Cubs' Wada making a pitch for 2015 rotation
August, 15, 2014
AUG 15
11:55
AM CT
Rogers By Jesse Rogers
ESPNChicago.com
Archive
106COMMENTS3EMAILPRINT
CHICAGO -- While the Chicago Cubs will search for pitching this offseason, they may have found a couple of hurlers for their starting staff already. Rookie right-hander Kyle Hendricks is garnering most of the headlines -- as he should be -- but 34-year-old lefty Tsuyoshi Wada is carving out a nice second half run himself.

[+] EnlargeTsuyoshi Wada
Brian Kersey/Getty Images
Tsuyoshi Wada has posted a 3.15 ERA in six starts with the Cubs this season.
He's 2-1 with a 3.15 ERA in six starts since being called up from Triple-A Iowa, including a gem Wednesday against the talented right-handed lineup of the Milwaukee Brewers. Wada gave up two solo home runs in his final inning of work en route to a 4-2 win. What's working for him?

"Executing," his catcher John Baker said. "Everything that he's throwing. He puts the ball where he wants to put the ball. And he's not shaking me off. Maybe twice [Wednesday]. So I can take the pressure and he can just pitch."

Wada signed with the Baltimore Orioles at 31 years old after coming over from Japan in 2012. After undergoing Tommy John surgery, he pitched in Triple-A last season but the Orioles let him go after his two-year deal was up and the Cubs grabbed him.

His major league debut was anything but assured after a rough spring training, giving up 14 hits and eight walks in 9 2/3 innings with an 8.38 ERA. He was actually released and then re-signed to a minor league deal but it included an option for 2015.

"It was my first spring training in Arizona so at first I was kind of struggling to grip the ball and the command of it," Wada said through an interpreter. "After a while I got a better handle of it."

It's well known spring training in Arizona isn't always kind to pitchers. The ball flies. Still, Wada knew something was up.

"There are guys that still put up the numbers," he said. "I was thinking, 'What's the best solution to get the results that I want.' As time went by I was able to figure it out."

There was concern from others as they watched him in the spring. He simply couldn't get anyone out.

"His velocity was down too," Baker said. "He was throwing 83-84 mph on his fastball; it's pretty easy for guys to hit the ball. When he tops out at 92 mph it looks even faster. He built up the arm strength, I guess."

There's some deception to Wada's delivery, which has thrown hitters off balance. Manager Rick Renteria saw it right away but also saw reason for concern.

"The only thing I was concerned with when he was pitching was his arm side command," Renteria said. "It was about his command. You could see he had some sneaky life, but it was a matter of if he was going to get it into a zone."

As soon as Triple-A Iowa's season started Wada found what he was looking for. As good as Hendricks has been in the majors, that's how dominating Wada was in the minors this season, going 10-6 with a 2.77 ERA in 18 starts. Now he's finding his groove with the Cubs.

"He has that pause in that windup that's thrown off their timing just a little," Baker said. "But it's not all about the deception. It's deception plus command."

Which brings us to next year. The Cubs may be on a search for more pitching, but they're still going to need bodies like Wada. At this point there's no reason they wouldn't pick up the option on 2015 as just about nothing else is for certain with the Cubs on the mound.

"I don't want to characterize it as No. 1 quality or whatever but we know we have to add pitching," general manager Jed Hoyer said recently of the upcoming search. "We know we have an imbalance [of hitting prospects vs. pitching in the minors] and I think that will be a main area of focus in the offseason and probably several offseasons."

The Cubs aren't yet in that add-at-all-costs mode. They'll search and probably sign a bigger name but they'll definitely bring in some more arms for depth. Wada is already here and despite his age, he's the perfect stopgap for another year -- unless of course the Cubs end up competing next season. Then he might become even more valuable.

"He's been around," Renteria said. "This isn't a young kid."

As rebuilds go, a rotation of Jake Arrieta, Hendricks, Travis Wood, Wada and Edwin Jackson -- if he's still around -- could be what the Cubs go to spring training with. There's also 25-year-old Dan Straily, acquired from the Oakland Athletics in the Jeff Samardzija trade, who will make his Cubs debut Saturday, and the recently acquired Jacob Turner, who was sharp in relief Thursday.

More than likely they'll add a top-of-the-rotation hurler moving everyone down one. It still could mean Wada is throwing every fifth day.

"I'm not thinking about that," he said. "I'm just trying to finish strong."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I prefer wada not in out rotation if we are going to be competitice

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I prefer wada not in out rotation if we are going to be competitice
3.15 ERA? 2-1? You prefer him not to be there? They can't be competitive with a pitcher with a 3.15 ERA?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Must be an age issue.

Writer felt the depth was:

Arrieta, Hendricks, Wada, Wood, Jackson. And that will be the cut rate. Looking at the numbers it is justified. Not to mention if they cut Jackson; trade Wood and back fill 1 with Turner and the other they sign Lester it is not as bad. Turner, Wada and Hendricks should cost 1.5 mil. Not bad for 3/5ths of the rotation then add 25 mil for Lester and what ever they do with Arrieta. Eat 22 mil on Jackson. Even if they are able to find a trade partner at best they save 8 mil. Jackson is worth 4 mil per to a team looking for IP.

The rotation would cost next year at most around 53 mil. Which is really not bad. Not to mention they would have some flexibility to add a arm at the deadline.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
3.15 ERA? 2-1? You prefer him not to be there? They can't be competitive with a pitcher with a 3.15 ERA?
Think it has more to do with his age going forward, 35 in 2015...

Be nice if this off season they could put together 4 or 5 starters to basically be the mainstay of the rotation going forward for the
next 5+ years.. they already have 2 in arrieta and hendricks