How can the Cubs be competitive in 2015?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lmao.. here we are in Aug 2014 and already predicting what their record for 2015 is without even knowing who all is gonna be on that roster

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
They need to get to 81 wins before thinking play offs. 2007 they dumped into 2 SP then Sori to turn the ship around. Add DeRosa to that.

2015 will have talent but not adapted talent.

Look at Houston. Their prospects are hitting .230 or lower this year. To think any thing else is sipping the blue stuff.

So what it would take?

Time to adjust

It's baseball, with two wildcard spots, so anything can happen and usually does.

I am sure that many predicted the Red Sox to be in last place, the D-backs to lose 22 games in the first month of baseball, the Brewers to still be in first place in mid August when they were predicted to finish 4th in the division, the Yankees with a 300 million dollar offseason to be trailing the Orioles by 8 games in mid August, the Rangers to be nearly 30 games under .500, and the Miami Marlins of all teams to be only 4 back in the Wildcard standings without their ACE in the line-up.

So can anything happen? I say it can.

The Cubs can pick up a TOR pitcher, sign a 3 to 4 year deal with a player like Melky Cabrera, and maybe bring back Jason Hamel or the equivalent, then I think that they can indeed make a run at a WC spot.

This is a young team developing, and developing together. They will go through some growing pains for sure, but once you start putting all of these guys in the line-up together, it will be hard to focus on any particular one. Their will be no power breaks in the line-up 2-6, and maybe even 7.

Couple that with a rotation of Lester (type) Arrieta, Hamels, Hendricks, Wada, a young bullpen, and a good bench with Coghlan, Valbuena and others, then I see no reason that they couldn't be this years Milwaukee Brewers, Pittsburgh Pirates, or Cincinnati Reds.

All you have to do is be in contention at the deadline and become buyers instead of sellers. :buttrock:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What's your definition of "competitive?" They've been roughly .500 since june and that's with a month and a half of shark being gone. Would it be that much of a surprise to see them as a .500 team next year? However, there's still a large step between that level of play and being a team you count on in the playoffs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Let's see....I said they could be in contention for a wild card spot at least in August. Teams that are .500 in the NL today, Aug 15, are 3 games out of the wild card, so they are playing "meaningful games" while on pace to win 81. The 81 you just said was about what should be expected of them next year.

And somehow I am to apologize (in advance, mind you) for them not winning 90, a number I never predicted!!!!

I never said they'd improve 25 games. Or any specific number. But they certainly don't need to improve 25 games to get to 81. Or 85.
U insinuated. ..nvm

The teams a 60-65 win team today. Id have to check the schedule renaining to see if it gets any better

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
. here we are in Aug 2014 and already predicting what their record for 2015 is without even knowing who all is gonna be on that roster
So putting out lineups incessantly for random YEARS is ok but records for next season is wrong????

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have 39 games to go. They need to win 18 to get to 70 wins. I think they def win more then 65

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wada and Hendricks have been better than expected. Wood is starting to turn it around.

Pre-allstar game:

Jackson........19 GS 5.64 ERA 5-10
Wood..........19 GS 4.96 ERA 7-8
Hammel........17 GS 2.98 ERA 8-5
Samardzija.....17 GS 2.83 ERA 2-7
Arrieta..........13 GS 1.95 ERA 5-1
Villanueva.......5 GS 6.18 ERA 4-6
Beeler............2 GS 3.27 ERA 0-2
Hendricks.......1 GS 6.00 ERA 0-0
Wada............1 GS 0.00 ERA 0-0

Post-all star game
Jackson......6 GS 6.10 ERA 1-3
Wood........6 GS 4.54 ERA 0-2
Arrieta.......5 GS 4.78 ERA 1-3
Hendricks...5 GS 1.01 ERA 4-1
Wada........5 GS 3.68 ERA 2-1

So far post all star the rotation has been more stable. Vill subing for Jake was a net loss. After the trade the transition was pretty bad.
1st half Arrieta was strong now Hendricks has the hot hand in the rotation. Arrieta looks more human post all star.

Sept will mess things up. They are planning to put Turner, Felix etc into the rotation to start evaluating early on who is going to be in the mix next spring.

All I have to say right now: post ASG Hendricks has been the studd then Wada. the 2 guys you wouldn't expect...except that is what they were in Iowa. The #1 and 2. It is not like they were not doing this in Iowa or anything.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coghlan - Alcantara - Soler

Bryant - Castro - Baez - Rizzo

Castillo

Lester - Wood - Arietta - Hendricks - Whomever

That will make August games meaningful with two wild card slots. It won't win a WS, but it will be much, much better than what we have been seeing.

Wood is not a number 2. He shouldn't even be on this team next year.

Other than that, you make terrific points in this thread. Kudos.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wood is not a number 2. He shouldn't even be on this team next year.

Other than that, you make terrific points in this thread. Kudos.

No, he's not a #2. I listed him 2nd as a veteran starter, but to be honest, nobody else on that list has proven to be better yet.

I don't think he needs to be off the team, but if we have several better options, I won't cry if he's gone.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Wada and Hendricks have been better than expected. Wood is starting to turn it around.

Pre-allstar game:

Jackson........19 GS 5.64 ERA 5-10
Wood..........19 GS 4.96 ERA 7-8
Hammel........17 GS 2.98 ERA 8-5
Samardzija.....17 GS 2.83 ERA 2-7
Arrieta..........13 GS 1.95 ERA 5-1
Villanueva.......5 GS 6.18 ERA 4-6
Beeler............2 GS 3.27 ERA 0-2
Hendricks.......1 GS 6.00 ERA 0-0
Wada............1 GS 0.00 ERA 0-0

Post-all star game
Jackson......6 GS 6.10 ERA 1-3
Wood........6 GS 4.54 ERA 0-2
Arrieta.......5 GS 4.78 ERA 1-3
Hendricks...5 GS 1.01 ERA 4-1
Wada........5 GS 3.68 ERA 2-1

So far post all star the rotation has been more stable. Vill subing for Jake was a net loss. After the trade the transition was pretty bad.
1st half Arrieta was strong now Hendricks has the hot hand in the rotation. Arrieta looks more human post all star.

Sept will mess things up. They are planning to put Turner, Felix etc into the rotation to start evaluating early on who is going to be in the mix next spring.

All I have to say right now: post ASG Hendricks has been the studd then Wada. the 2 guys you wouldn't expect...except that is what they were in Iowa. The #1 and 2. It is not like they were not doing this in Iowa or anything.

Yes, Arrieta's been more human in the second half, but to be fair, most of the damage was done in 5 innings at Coors... so it's not as bad as the numbers suggest.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Put coghlin on bench and get a better all around hitter in LF

Whomever has to be a legit 2/3 starter and if their keeping wood over everyone else they have now, then he has to be no.4 and you hope he pitches like 2013.

Everybody hits and pitches like their capable of , then you have a winner.

I'd like to see Junior Lake get another chance to start in the outfield. As well as Chris Coghlan has played, I don't think he'll be part of their future plans and Lake is only 24.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Feel free to be a man and apologize to me

Heck yes the offense would be better. 25 games better gets them 85-90 wins. No I don't see it. Too much to ask from an inexperienced team. I really see 81 games as high water next year and 78 as realistic.

And the Sox have had more than just Abreu. These two teams are not an apples comparison

Lol... how much more? Sale and an "I just came off the DL" Avisail Garcia? Gee, start printing the World Series shirts now! 2015 Sox!!!!!

:smug:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Junior Lake get another chance to start in the outfield. As well as Chris Coghlan has played, I don't think he'll be part of their future plans and Lake is only 24.

I was a huge fan of Lake when he came up but his swing indicates a replacement-level guy -- refridgerator-sized hole in his swing, too many Ks, not enough BBs, average-at-best defense with a decent arm. I'd much rather package him with Almora and somebody else if it meant landing a TOR starter.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I wish someone could work with him and make those tools an asset. But as of now, they aren't.

He has great speed. If he was skinny and had no power, he'd be "a speed guy". But instead, it seems he or the Cubs want him to be a power guy. So he swings and misses nonstop. Shorten that stroke, learn to get on base and use that speed.

I'd like to see that happen. But I know that it won't.

He'll be gone soon.