Semi OT: Who's the real MVP (of team USA)

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So since Durant is gone and such, someone's gotta step up and be the guy for Team USA. Who do you guys think it'll be?

The top runners imo are:
Derrick Rose
James Harden
Stephen Curry
Anthony Davis

I think we'll see it come down to Rose, Harden, and Davis, and eventually Rose and Harden given how Team USA likes to go small.

Who do you guys think?

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
From a contribution perspective, I'm going with Davis because of his unquestionable defensive/shot altering ability along with grabbing boards and doing some work on offense. Thing with Rose is that Team USA is loaded in the backcourt, although I could see him being up there in points. But Davis will be the MVP imo.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From a contribution perspective, I'm going with Davis because of his unquestionable defensive/shot altering ability along with grabbing boards and doing some work on offense. Thing with Rose is that Team USA is loaded in the backcourt, although I could see him being up there in points. But Davis will be the MVP imo.
Yeah Davis was my 2nd choice (even though I eliminated him before Harden in my post) because of that. I guess I might have been too focused on the actual points/scoring load aspect of it. Davis really is the only post player who will get major burn imo. Definitely can't deny the impact he'll have.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Derrick Rose is the best player on the team remaining. But Anthony Davis is by far the most valuable asset they have. He is a stretch five who is a dominant defensive/rebounding force who can help them run in transition. Without him, they would probably get beat by Spain. With him (and all over that perimeter talent), they are still the easy favorite - even without Durant and George.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Judging by that game against Brazil, Davis is looking like a mighty fine choice right now.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Davis is the X-Factor his size, speed, and defense will cause all kinds of problems for the other teams. I'd still like to see if Derrick can lead this group but it has to be weird with so many young guards there that have become stars in the last few years he's been hurt. Harden is too selfish to be the MVP.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Anthony Davis. By the end of next year, he'll be the third best player in the league behind LeBron and Durant.

czman

Liked Posts:
Anthony Davis. By the end of next year, he'll be the third best player in the league behind LeBron and Durant.

When Holiday and Anderson come back healthy Davis will see his numbers drop.

I think Davis goes to ~17/9.5 this year.

I do find the rush to anoint Davis as the next great player kind of funny. His game is offensive rebounds, running the break. He has just about no half court offense and no ability to create his own shot.

He is going to be very good, don't get me wrong, but 3rd best player in the league is silly. I guess in NBA2k he may be the 3rd best.

Saluki

Liked Posts:
When Holiday and Anderson come back healthy Davis will see his numbers drop.

I think Davis goes to ~17/9.5 this year.

I do find the rush to anoint Davis as the next great player kind of funny. His game is offensive rebounds, running the break. He has just about no half court offense and no ability to create his own shot.

He is going to be very good, don't get me wrong, but 3rd best player in the league is silly. I guess in NBA2k he may be the 3rd best.

I do think it's a stretch to say he'll be top 3 this season, i do also however think that in the next few years you will see him develop into a top NBA player. He's already been working on getting a midrange jumper, if that comes on he'll be a force.

As for the question in this column, i still think he'll be the best candidate until Boogie comes back. Rose looks like he's going to be playing the distributor role, Curry looked good but the team is guard heavy he'll get rotated out a lot. At this moment i looks like Davis and Maybe Hardin if he comes on playing the 3.

czman

Liked Posts:
Harden was the best player on the floor for team USA in that game.

Saluki

Liked Posts:
Harden was the best player on the floor for team USA in that game.

Brazil is terrible on the wings though. That's why i was more impressed with Davis, since Brazils strength is on the inside, they don't have anyone on the outside that can hang with any of the USA guards really. They even made Steph Curry look like Kobe.

Kizzle

Find me Realcavsfans.com
Liked Posts:
Davis. IMO I I don't even know if. Rose should start over Kyrie. But bias aside Davis has been a boss offensively and defensibly. When his teammates figure out what he can do on offense I bet he becomes a bigger threat also. You can tell. Davis is the best big man half these guy a have ever played with so they don't know how to use him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry man, gonna have to call Cavs bias on this one

Kyrie was the best player in the all-star game last year. I really wouldn't take anything off him, he is a nasty player to be paired with Lebron.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kyrie was the best player in the all-star game last year. I really wouldn't take anything off him, he is a nasty player to be paired with Lebron.
Don't get me wrong, Kyrie is a dang good player, but both players at full strength, Rose is better.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't get me wrong, Kyrie is a dang good player, but both players at full strength, Rose is better.

Then why does he have to sit on the bench every other game. Look....Rose is the man...but right now today if the coaches could only bring one to the FIBA contests they would bring Kyrie!! yes or no? Rose is rusty and still recovering....its a clown question.

I think Kyrie is even going to be the starter. Kyrie, Paul, Rose, Lilliard is a hell of a PG situation, but you could interchange all 4 and be ok.....Davis is the lynch pin holding U.S. basketball together right now. If they lost him your starters are like Monroe and Cousins and you might get shot out of the building if a team gets hot and minimizes the importance of rebounding in the game.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Then why does he have to sit on the bench every other game. Look....Rose is the man...but right now today if the coaches could only bring one to the FIBA contests they would bring Kyrie!! yes or no? Rose is rusty and still recovering....its a clown question.

I think Kyrie is even going to be the starter. Kyrie, Paul, Rose, Lilliard is a hell of a PG situation, but you could interchange all 4 and be ok.....Davis is the lynch pin holding U.S. basketball together right now. If they lost him your starters are like Monroe and Cousins and you might get shot out of the building if a team gets hot and minimizes the importance of rebounding in the game.

:bizarro:

Saluki

Liked Posts:

Coach K says Rose has been the best player in Camp, that's why he's starting. It doesn't have much to do with what you did in the NBA last season.

Rose may not start tonight, but that would only be because Coach K has a rule that you have to practice the day before a game to start, which he's stuck to his entire coaching career. i wouldn't put much stock into who starts and who doesn't in an exhibition game vs a bad international team.