If any Bull is poised for a break-out-season. WHO?

SP33

Liked Posts:
Butler's defense is already high caliber (NBA all-defensive second team. Can he impose his will to be more aggressive offensively?

McDermott?

Mirotic?

Snell?

Can Gibson stand alone as the clear cut 6th man of the year?

Can Gasol play all star caliber ball at this stage in his career in the weaker eastern conference?

I have Rose and Noah excluded since they have already "broken out" and are the clear cut top two values to the team.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Rookies really don't have breakout seasons. IMO, that's not how you define a breakout season.

A breakout season, is when you break out of a funk of sorts. Maybe you disappointed in your first few years, and then you break out of that mold. And the mold is defined by expectations from past performances on a player. There is no need to skew the meaning of the term(we already have enough of a problem with that with the rest of the dictionary to where any word now can mean anything, and rarely use as intended).

Snell is setting himself up nicely, by adding muscle and maybe added some consistency with his shot. Butler had a waffle of a season, only being effective defensively. Both of these guys could break out, and IMO, are the only two players that would truly qualify. I guess MDJ could also come into his own, and have a career year, making him qualify as well.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Snell and Butler might be only true candidates in my mind, but I suppose a guy like Dunleavy or Hinrich or even Brooks could have good seasons that can be categorized as "breakout" seasons.

I'm basically in the same boat as Crys on this one

Liked Posts:
I vote for Snell.....and yea Butler too if he's 2013 Butler, but I think people just overrated him and Thibs tried to make him Luol Deng 2.0 with all those minutes, cut the mins down and I think he'll be good, furthermore Rose coming back should help the team too

DCguy

Liked Posts:
I think Tony Snell will breakout. He seemed more confident during the summer league, initiated offense, and was aggressive looking for his shot. I think elements of each will translate over to the regular season.

I think Jimmy will atleast have a minor breakout offensively next season as well.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The thing that I like about Snell in Summer League, is that he did it against the deepest summer league class I have seen. I usually disregard summer league performances, and I still think it's unwise to expect his numbers to translate to NBA numbers, but I think they are a lot better indicator of him showing a great deal of improvement.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I think Jimmy Butler is ready to break out. He had a lot of growth last year and really looked good early until he lost confidence. Playing next to Rose will do wonders for his aggressive slashing style. I expect Jimmy to be much more consistent and continue to refine his shot. Snell would be #2 but he will still be fighting for minutes.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rookies really don't have breakout seasons. IMO, that's not how you define a breakout season.

A breakout season, is when you break out of a funk of sorts. Maybe you disappointed in your first few years, and then you break out of that mold. And the mold is defined by expectations from past performances on a player. There is no need to skew the meaning of the term(we already have enough of a problem with that with the rest of the dictionary to where any word now can mean anything, and rarely use as intended).

Snell is setting himself up nicely, by adding muscle and maybe added some consistency with his shot. Butler had a waffle of a season, only being effective defensively. Both of these guys could break out, and IMO, are the only two players that would truly qualify. I guess MDJ could also come into his own, and have a career year, making him qualify as well.

Yup. By the actual definition, I would say Butler just based on having Rose back among other things.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If we're talking a "breakout" season that points to a potential All Star-caliber season, I just don't see anyone on the roster making that kind of jump. I expect smaller improvements across the board. Snell has certainly improved and if his playing time increases, I don't see why he doesn't take a moderate step like Jimmy Butler did during his second season. As for Butler, I don't see him necessarily taking the 'next step' so much as seeing his shooting return to where it was during the '12-13 season. Snell's improvement, IMO, is more critical to the Bulls because it'll allow Butler to conserve a bit more energy on defense, which should help his offense. With Rose out all of last year, Butler was asked to score more and his efficiency suffered because of it. I'm expecting Gibson to plateau out a bit -- similar numbers to what he did last year and I think that'll be totally sustainable if Pau is able to stay healthy for 70-ish games.

My real concern is a lack of a true backup center. I have no idea what to expect from Baristow (and he's not a center). Pau can certainly play center for small stretches, but I'd feel much more comfortable if the Bulls would've went out and landed a guy who was capable of playing 10 minutes a night and not totally embarrass himself. All signs are pointing to resigning Nazr for the vets minimum, I suppose.

But of course, we all know who I expect to be the team's MVP this year :smug:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My money's on Hinrich. He's been in a "funk" for his entire career:)

SP33

Liked Posts:
Why would you say that about the all time bulls leader in 3pt fg made? He was the one guy the bulls had 10 years ago. While you were probably cheering for the Lakers or something.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Yup. By the actual definition, I would say Butler just based on having Rose back among other things.

THIS. Butler will be the guy with Rose back. Jimmy should get a ton of open looks and opportunities to score.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Hinrich is irrelevant. If we depend on him for any significant contributions, this team is in trouble.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My real concern is a lack of a true backup center. I have no idea what to expect from Baristow (and he's not a center). Pau can certainly play center for small stretches, but I'd feel much more comfortable if the Bulls would've went out and landed a guy who was capable of playing 10 minutes a night and not totally embarrass himself. All signs are pointing to resigning Nazr for the vets minimum, I suppose.
Imo Pau is our backup center. We'll probably see a rotation where Noah gets subbed for Gibson with Pau sliding to center. Then we'll probably see Noah sub back in for Gasol later. It should work well enough as imo Pau is a true center in this era of the NBA. I can see us playing Bairstow there every so often, but he's an undersized center who's also a rookie, so that doesn't really seem to be a very common occurrence. I'd be fine bringing Nazr back too though...he usually doesn't kill us in his short spurts of playing time. Seeing as we supposedly went out and got Moore though, Nazr would be in street clothes more than not probably...though I guess that could easily be Moore or Bairstow as well.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
watch out for Aaron Brooks....im calling it now he's gonna be better than a streaky backup such as Nate or JL3

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why would you say that about the all time bulls leader in 3pt fg made? He was the one guy the bulls had 10 years ago. While you were probably cheering for the Lakers or something.

I guess this was directed at me. Lakers fan? Give me a bleeping break! I go back to the days of Stormin Norman and one of my all-time favorite Bulls, Jerry Sloan.BTW, you were kidding, right, when you talked about Hinrich being a good 3 point shooter, right?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My guess for a break-out season would be Gibson if he starts and get the minutes as a starter. I'm not sure that will happen, though. Gibson has been an over-all pleasure to watch since he was drafted. He has worked hard to get to where he is and if given the minutes, might even make an all-star team or two before he finishes his career.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that Bairstow can fit the need as a short minute spell for Noah against the bigger centers in the league. The guy is physically strong and could be able to put a body on these guys. He likes to mix it up and has a bit of a nasty streak in him.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Imo Pau is our backup center. We'll probably see a rotation where Noah gets subbed for Gibson with Pau sliding to center. Then we'll probably see Noah sub back in for Gasol later. It should work well enough as imo Pau is a true center in this era of the NBA. I can see us playing Bairstow there every so often, but he's an undersized center who's also a rookie, so that doesn't really seem to be a very common occurrence. I'd be fine bringing Nazr back too though...he usually doesn't kill us in his short spurts of playing time. Seeing as we supposedly went out and got Moore though, Nazr would be in street clothes more than not probably...though I guess that could easily be Moore or Bairstow as well.

As mentioned before, the good thing with this or whatever rotation the Bulls choose is that there will,for the most part, be a passing big man on the floor, whether it's Pau or Noah(or both).

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As mentioned before, the good thing with this or whatever rotation the Bulls choose is that there will,for the most part, be a passing big man on the floor, whether it's Pau or Noah(or both).
:yep:

Similarly, between Gibson and Noah and Pau and Mirotic we can also always have defense and shooting on the floor as well.