Cavs Sign Marion

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
for what its worth the mavs were actually better with Marion off the floor

http://www.82games.com/1314/13DAL10.HTM

although his clutch stats are pretty good which is what it will probably come down to

czman

Liked Posts:
This bodes well for the Bulls

Not so sure.

I think I see two reasons for this.

1. ~40 of Marion's minutes came with Dirk off the floor. I think we can all agree that Dirk to Marion is a large drop off.

2. Wright had a much better +/- than Dalembert and Marion played a lot of minutes with Wright.

What this move allows is the Cavs to go with James and Marion at the 3/4 and still space the floor while keeping Vaerajo on the court for rebounding and defense. Thompson and Varejo are not going to space the floor like Marion can. With Waiters inability to shoot the ball adding that second shooter off the bench he can play a F spot will help a lot.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not so sure.

I think I see two reasons for this.

1. ~40 of Marion's minutes came with Dirk off the floor. I think we can all agree that Dirk to Marion is a large drop off.

2. Wright had a much better +/- than Dalembert and Marion played a lot of minutes with Wright.

What this move allows is the Cavs to go with James and Marion at the 3/4 and still space the floor while keeping Vaerajo on the court for rebounding and defense. Thompson and Varejo are not going to space the floor like Marion can. With Waiters inability to shoot the ball adding that second shooter off the bench he can play a F spot will help a lot.
Was more making an Anytime23 reference than anything, but idk how you can call Waiters any worse a floor spacer than Marion. Waiters I believe shot 38% last season which even if it was an abnormality is just as much so as Marion's 36%. Marion is only a 33% shooter from 3 for his career and 30% in the last 5 years.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Are we sure this isn't the media trying to push him to sign with New York?

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
yall are looking at % but not volume

Marion averages 0.8 3 point makes per game he only made 58 during the season....he isnt that good of a shooter

still this is another defender that can guard McDermott/Rose

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yall are looking at % but not volume

Marion averages 0.8 3 point makes per game he only made 58 during the season....he isnt that good of a shooter

still this is another defender that can guard McDermott/Rose
Well I doubt they want to play Marion 40 minutes a game, so I'm not that worried about him guarding Rose. McDermott seems to have a super fast release so perhaps Marion won't even affect him that much, though obviously he'd do a lot more on him than the other Cavs defenders.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
i cant get mad at this whole super team stuff because i know if it was happening to us i'd be happy lol

and so would everybody else saying they hate Bron and the NBA today....you're just salty is all

Kizzle

Find me Realcavsfans.com
Liked Posts:
Another guys to rotate on Gasol, Micky D, and whoever. That does nothing but hurt Chicago. Is he gonna be the reason why a series goes to Cleveland? No. But he damn sure isn't gonna be the reason they lose. He's a smart vet who does his job perfectly. That IMO is scary to a team like Chicago, and should be even scarier that he's a weapon for Lebron and Kyrie to use at their will

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Another guys to rotate on Gasol, Micky D, and whoever. That does nothing but hurt Chicago. Is he gonna be the reason why a series goes to Cleveland? No. But he damn sure isn't gonna be the reason they lose. He's a smart vet who does his job perfectly. That IMO is scary to a team like Chicago, and should be even scarier that he's a weapon for Lebron and Kyrie to use at their will
I wouldn't necessarily call Marion "scary" at this point. He's definitely a very useful piece, especially for the vet min, but it really depends on how Blatt uses him. Marion on Gasol just doesn't really seem like a good idea to me at this point, but Marion is and always has been a good defender so I guess it could work out.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i cant get mad at this whole super team stuff because i know if it was happening to us i'd be happy lol

and so would everybody else saying they hate Bron and the NBA today....you're just salty is all
You have the right to remain salty. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a Chicago sports forum.

YFC

Liked Posts:

Marion could make Cavs' defense a little bit better. But I don't see him make much difference, especially for Chicago. Marion will play 4 when Lebron is on court. He cannot defend Pau or Taj. Even when he is on the perimeter, he is not the matrix anymore and may be beaten off the dribble.

DCguy

Liked Posts:

If he's guarding Gasol, it's going to hurt Cleveland.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Because other players, past their prime, want to play with Lebron James...Lebron is a douche...alrighty then...

You have to look at the big picture. Allowing LeBron to pull this crap whenever he feels like it undermines competitive balance in the game, and is bad for the NBA. I understand fans of LeBron don't have a problem with the NBA gift wrapping championships and Finals appearances for him. In the end, though, doing this will make his greatness on the court merely a side show to his power to manipulate the league, and that's what he'll be remembered for.

Chi-Town Brahma

Liked Posts:
You have to look at the big picture. Allowing LeBron to pull this crap whenever he feels like it undermines competitive balance in the game, and is bad for the NBA. I understand fans of LeBron don't have a problem with the NBA gift wrapping championships and Finals appearances for him. In the end, though, doing this will make his greatness on the court merely a side show to his power to manipulate the league, and that's what he'll be remembered for.

I know this is a long shot, but this article/topic (below) would put a stop to the 'James get whatever he wants' argument. I just doubt it happens with the bad reception the CP3-to-LAL situation got vetoed by Stern. Not ruling it out, but it's more than likely still a dead issue.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...in-love-trade-if-future-contract-is-agreed-to