867-5309
Liked Posts:
I bet the protection for the Reds is still there

Its fair else a top prospect has too much say in who they sign with

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I bet the protection for the Reds is still there

Its fair else a top prospect has too much say in who they sign with
Which is why I would never draft a HS kid or underclassmen with a top pick unless their a sure thing and im willing to pay them what they want.

if your picking top 5 and draft a highly touted HS kid or a kid who still has colleage left you better be prepared to pay him the money otherwise you do like the cubs did and draft a signable player..

You don't draft a kid hoping he gives you a break...

I think if a compensation is needed for taking that gamble it should be between rounds, not the pick you gambled on.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If you really think about it, that a dumb unfair rule

Why should a team benefit the next year for not being able to sign a pick they drafted..

Astros now get 2 of top 5 players in 2015 because they chose to draft someone they couldn't afford to sign in 2014..
Teams shouldn't be compensated for not doing their homework and making the right pick..

If anything a team should just get a pick between 1st n 2nd not the pick position they had the year before. ..

Also Reds lose opportunity of having a protected 1st rd pick because of Astros failure to sign their pick..

This is a bit unfair. MLB isn't like the NFL where you have a combine and can run medicals on players before you draft them. That's frankly a problem. Not to say the Astros handled themselves well here but what if like often happens at NFL/NBA you find someone has a serious condition after you have drafted that not even the player knew he had? Should you be punished as a team because the rules say you can't give him a physical prior to drafting?

Also, it's not like there isn't punishment. Losing a year of development is a big deal. Keep in mind that prospects are spotty at best to begin with so by creating an extra year of development could hurt them 5 years down the line when they hopefully are good and need something to push them over the top. There's also the aspect of them probably have burned some bridges with the way they handled the situation. It's highly likely some players will now tell them not to draft them because of the way that all went down.

Additionally, next year doesn't have a stand out player from what I've read. The comment I heard was something to the effect you're just as likely to find a star at 8 than 1.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
MLB isn't like the NFL where you have a combine and can run medicals on players before you draft them. That's frankly a problem

they don't have a combine but they have plenty of time/opportunities to run medicals on players, plus the majority of these kids are still playing on day of draft.

what if like often happens at NFL/NBA you find someone has a serious condition after you have drafted that not even the player knew he had?

NFL and NBA don't compensate a team by giving them an extra pick and allow them to redraft in the same slot the next year..

im sure these kids all see doctors and have physicals, especially ones in college and most are still playing on draft day so if they had a serious condition that would keep them from playing ball at the time of draft im sure it would be known..

never really seen that situation as a reason a player didn't sign, its 99.9 % of time cause of money or wanting to return to school...

Should you be punished as a team because the rules say you can't give him a physical prior to drafting?

most of these top picks are still playing or just finished, so you pretty much can see that their physically ok to play or not at time of draft..

like i said above the top reason for a non signing is because of wanting more money or to return to school not because of an injury..

it's not like there isn't punishment. Losing a year of development is a big deal. Keep in mind that prospects are spotty at best to begin with so by creating an extra year of development could hurt them 5 years down the line when they hopefully are good and need something to push them over the top.

i don't mind so much as to giving teams an extra pick the following year, what bugs me is that their getting to repick in the slot they had for not being able to make a deal with the kid they chose to draft

it wont happen because MLB teams want to get these kids in their system as quickly as possible to start their development but....
i always felt MLB should do their draft in JULY.. give these kids a bit of a break, they can have a physical day, and they can set a date to where kids have to decide to return to school or enter draft.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs should have the 9th pick in the draft. White Sox should be the 8th and the Phillies 10th.