So.. rebuilding the offense has cost us D and ST's

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Oh, you again. Do you mind? I'd like to take a shit on, Emery, in peace.

get-me-outta-here-o.gif

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
The secondary and linebackers continue to look clueless. Without Hester the ST's aren't even worth watching. This season feels like another 7-9 or 8-8.

Yeah, Hester made it interesting. That is, if you find that whole 'why didn't he fair catch that'? thing interesting or the 'wait 3 seconds in the end zone before running the ball out to the 9 yard line' thing interesting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Emery let Marinelli go. I would have offered him 25% over a regular DC's salary. I would have told Rod, "We really like you! In fact we love you!" I would have convinced Rod to be our DC in 2013. Word.

Same for Toub. Sculpt GM would mean Trestman, Marinelli & Toub.

That's all great but they asked to leave. Would have been nice though. Marinelli was Lovies boy and not going to stay. Toub was pissed he wasn't hired as HC.

Slacker

Liked Posts:
Emery let Marinelli go. I would have offered him 25% over a regular DC's salary. I would have told Rod, "We really like you! In fact we love you!" I would have convinced Rod to be our DC in 2013. Word.
I didn't want to see Marinelli go either but he's the one who wanted out of Chicago. To be honest though, what has he done in Dallas? Dallas and Chicago were the worst defenses in the NFL last year.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I tried to get into this thread, but I saw all of Cago's unnecessary punctuation and it's making my head hurt.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Are you guys basing your judgments of the starting defense on how the third and fourth string played tonight? Or was this thread meant to be completely sarcastic?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Emery asked both Marinelli and Toub to stay but they both were upset with the firing of Lovie and didn't want to stay.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread title is misleading. It's not the offense's fault the defense and st are looking bad. It has to do with about a decade of bad drafting on both sides of the ball and current bad coaching.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Bears will be in a full rebuild in another 2 years, IMO. As good as the offense can be right now, it does have a very short window. It's not like Cutler, Marshall, and Forte are young pups anymore. The timing couldn't be worse in my opinion.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:

Emery didn't let either one go. They both chose to leave out of loyalty/respect for Lovie Smith. They were his guys, and it would have bothered them to hang around after the guy they knew so long (who also brought them in) was fired. I can't fault them for that.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Actually that isn't the truth at all. Trestman wanted Marinelli back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=413923
A four-year stint in Chicago ended this week when Marinelli decided he didn't want to return after coach Lovie Smith was fired. New Bears coach Marc Trestman said he wanted to keep Marinelli, who was defensive co-ordinator the past three seasons.

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter | January 17, 2013

New Chicago Bears head coach Marc Trestman said Rod Marinelli will not return as the team's defensive coordinator. Trestman, who was introduced to the Chicago media Thursday, met with Marinelli prior to the news conference. "I had a chance to talk to Rod, and we had a good discussion," Trestman said Thursday. "He's made up his mind, I know, to move on. And we'll begin the process now of identifying those people that could be in (that) position. " According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the Bears offered Marinelli a one-year extension with hopes of enticing him to remain and guide the defense.
This wasn't surprising. Marinelli and Lovie roomed together in Tampa and were close. Marinelli didn't want to stay if Lovie wasn't there. Dallas made sense with Kiffin coming back and Lovie sitting out a year.

IIRC, Emery actually extended Lovie's assistants out further than Lovie in anticipation of letting Lovie go but hopefully keeping the defensive staff in tact.

MrOuija

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Hester made it interesting. That is, if you find that whole 'why didn't he fair catch that'? thing interesting or the 'wait 3 seconds in the end zone before running the ball out to the 9 yard line' thing interesting.

In other words, exactly what we have now except without the potential for big returns or touchdowns. Maybe Holmes changes that, doubt it though.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Our defense and special teams are suffering because the coordinators at those respective units absolutely suck.

With better coordinators, we would have made playoffs last season & would be on our way to dominating the league this season.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Our defense and special teams are suffering because the coordinators at those respective units absolutely suck.

With better coordinators, we would have made playoffs last season & would be on our way to dominating the league this season.

Right...it has nothing to do with lack of talent at LB and S (or DL depth last year). :facepalm:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Marinelli was Lovie's guy and didn't want to stick around.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:

Other than the fact that emery offered marinelli the DC job and that toub wanted to join Andy Reid (his longtime friend and person who got him his first nfl job) then yeah you're so right.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
Right...it has nothing to do with lack of talent at LB and S (or DL depth last year). :facepalm:
So, Mel Tucker has nothing to do with our defense falling from top 5 to bottom 5 in one season?

So DeCamillis has nothing to do with our ST falling from an annual top 3 ranking to middle of the pack?