Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I disagree. I think Kyrie has been their best PG so far. He plays with control and is in sync with the starters. He's not overly aggressive, but he knows when to turn on the jets and push the ball.
Oh he's definitely played the best, I'm not saying that he isn't. It's just that it seems to me that he's going one on one a lot more than he needs to. In transition he's fine and he's probably still leading the team in assists, but when Rose is in the game it seems like the ball moves around a lot more. I haven't watched every minute of every game so I can't say definitively that that's what happens all the time, but I did watch all of the game today and more than half of the Turkey game and that's what I observed.

I was telling my coworker earlier today that part of the reason why it's unlikely people would complain about Kyrie's play style is that he's making a ton of shots. Every shot you make is a good shot kind of a thing. I think there were like 3 straight possessions in the 2nd quarter where the ball never left Kyrie's hands...the end result of 2 of them was probably a score, but it didn't really look much like team ball to me. Maybe I'm watching with some sort of unconscious blinder that only lets me see Kyrie's negatives because he's playing ahead of Rose or something. :dunno:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mr. Garcia is the 2nd leading scorer in this tournament I believe. At least through the first two games.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah, I wanted the Bulls to sign him instead of MDJ(heck, for those salaries, they could have had both). I really like his game.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Garcia's a decent defender as well. I'd take that over Dunleavy personally, but oh well.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Kyrie was driving me nuts against Turkey. He tried to play hero and it wasn't until Faried started kicking it into serious gear, that USA was able to pull away. No manimal, then Kyrie might have shot us into a major upset.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Oh he's definitely played the best, I'm not saying that he isn't. It's just that it seems to me that he's going one on one a lot more than he needs to. In transition he's fine and he's probably still leading the team in assists, but when Rose is in the game it seems like the ball moves around a lot more. I haven't watched every minute of every game so I can't say definitively that that's what happens all the time, but I did watch all of the game today and more than half of the Turkey game and that's what I observed.

I was telling my coworker earlier today that part of the reason why it's unlikely people would complain about Kyrie's play style is that he's making a ton of shots. Every shot you make is a good shot kind of a thing. I think there were like 3 straight possessions in the 2nd quarter where the ball never left Kyrie's hands...the end result of 2 of them was probably a score, but it didn't really look much like team ball to me. Maybe I'm watching with some sort of unconscious blinder that only lets me see Kyrie's negatives because he's playing ahead of Rose or something. :dunno:

You're right about the one-one style of play. I just remind myself that these guys are extremely young (avg age is 24 I think), and aren't really running plays or anything. I think things would be different if they had more time playing together before the tournament.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're right about the one-one style of play. I just remind myself that these guys are extremely young (avg age is 24 I think), and aren't really running plays or anything. I think things would be different if they had more time playing together before the tournament.
Well yes and no. They would be playing much better if they were like Argentina or Spain and had been playing together for like 8 years...obviously. But I think Coach K does have an offensive system in place that isn't just freelance. They've got sets and plays and all that, they're just not very good at running them it seems like. They can get away with it because of pure talent, but it doesn't really mean they should. The FIBA announcers were talking about it all game today...you can get away with doing a lot of one on one against teams like Finland and New Zealand, but it doesn't help you against teams like Spain or even Lithuania and Slovenia (I think those are the teams they mentioned). Imo Rose is playing more of the team ball that helps the team play better as a whole while Kyrie is doing a lot of the one on one stuff. So Kyrie looks to be the better player, but yet the team is doing better with Rose on the court which was what my original thought was.

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen that's just what I think to be the case.

PooHdini1

Liked Posts:
ixN6R3rl.jpg

if anyone needs a stream - watchESPN is hosting it, just sign in with your TV provider.

anyone else only watching for d-rose haha?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently Garcia is injured?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wonder how long until Kyrie starts to go hero...he looks like he wants more shots

PooHdini1

Liked Posts:
anyone else hate rudy gay on team usa? he never passes the ball to rose / others. he's like a black hole.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe Rose will score more than 3 points this game