Bears have third oldest roster in the NFL

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's just a ranking of average age per team. It's adding all the ages together and dividing by 53, not counting bodies. A few 35+ players can skew a ranking like that. I'm more interested in body count than average age. No idea what our numbers are there, but I'm pretty sure we have more young players this year than last.

Roberto Garza 35
Jeremiah Ratliff 33
Lance Briggs 33
Charles Tillman 33
Jared Allen 32
DJ Williams 32
Robbie Gould 32
Michael Spurlock 31
Jay Cutler 31
Brandon Marshall 30
Santonio Holmes 30
Jermon Bushrod 30
Trevor Scott 30
Tim Jennings 30
Josh Morgan 29
Dante Rosario 29
Matthew Mulligan 29
Brian DeLaPuente 29
Ryan Mundy 29
Matt Forte 28
Tony Fiametta 28
Matt Slauson 28
Willie Young 28

Martellus Bennett 27
Lamarr Houston 27
Jimmy Clauson 26
Shaun Draugn 26
Michael Ola 26
Stephen Paea 26
Sherrick McManis 26
Danny McCray 26
Kyle Long 25
Shea McClellin 25
Khaseem Green 25
Chris Conte 25
Alshon Jeffrey 24
Cornelius Washington 24
Brandon Hartson 24
David Fales 23
Senorise Perry 23
Jordan Mills 23
David Bass 23
John Bostic 23
Christian Jones 23
Demontre Hurst 23
Pat O'Donnel 23
Charles Leno Jr. 22
Ego Ferguson 22
Will Sutton 22
Kyle Fuller 22
Brock Vereen 22
Ka'Deem Carey 21
Marquess Wilson 21

Replace the four oldest guys with players 10 years younger and the Bears would go from third oldest to about sixteenth. Just eyeballing the list of teams I don't see a clear correlation between youth or age and success. It isn't a useful measure of anything.

5 youngest teams - Rams, Browns, Bills, Seahawks, Jaguars.
5 oldest - Broncos, Lions, Redskins, Cardinals, Bears

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
A closer look at teams ranked from youngest to oldest for last year:

Rams
Browns
Bills
Seahawks
Jaguars
Packers
Jets
Chiefs
Dolphins
Eagles
Patriots
Bengals
Vikings
Buccaneers
Cowboys
Falcons
Raiders
Ravens
Titans
Texans
Chargers
Saints
Steelers
Colts
49ers
Panthers
Giants
Broncos
Bears
Cardinals
Redskins
Lions

Bold = playoffs. Red = 5 or fewer wins.

Two things:

a) What a worthless thing to rank teams by.
b) SIX DAYS TWENTY-TWO HOURS EIGHT MINUTES UNTIL KICKOFF :bearbang:

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
It's more about the age at the position. It doesn't matter that Gould is 32 since he can kick until he is 40 most likely. QBs tend to age well especially a guy like Cutler who will probably get better as his physical skills diminish. You don't want to be old at LB and CB especially. Those are young guy positions.

For the Bears, Ratliff, Tillman, Briggs, Garza, DJ Williams, and Holmes will all be gone after this season. They will get young in a hurry after this season.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Actually the average age went down. #ThankyouEmeryBasedGod

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
On this website being entirely dependent on older players with virtually no young talent is not a problem.

In the real world, the Bears are about to see their entire roster blown up over the next two years and the entire staff fired if the 2014 draft doesn't pan out.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
More greatness from Bearsfan51

Midway Illustrated ‏@MidwayBearsBlog

Phil Emery looking for another long snapper a week before the season starts. He cut another player without a viable alternative /replacement

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
If Patrick Mannelly was still on the 53....we'd be No.#1 !!! That guy was like.....75?!

10veitout

Liked Posts:
But no! Da Bearz r on da up swing Dem Packurs goin down!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/&id=273334591

The article I read there's not much to it so I didn't bother to post it. But since it hurt your feelings that I didn't post it.

Since you are a blogger, and thus, providing fans with over and above information, what I would find more interesting is what is the average age of our players this year versus last?

Did we go from 5th to 3rd because we swapped many of our young players (who sucked) for slightly to much older players or did other teams just become much younger than us? Is the average age about the same?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
More greatness from Bearsfan51

Midway Illustrated ‏@MidwayBearsBlog

Phil Emery looking for another long snapper a week before the season starts. He cut another player without a viable alternative /replacement

To me, that shows that Emery has balls of steel. He probably thought that if he cuts the crappy LSer, he has to find a better replacement. The Angelo's of the world would keep the crappy LSer on the roster, kick a few tires, and eventually say that the crappy LSer is good enough, and then start whistling Dixie.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, that shows that Emery has balls of steel. He probably thought that if he cuts the crappy LSer, he has to find a better replacement. The Angelo's of the world would keep the crappy LSer on the roster, kick a few tires, and eventually say that the crappy LSer is good enough, and then start whistling Dixie.

The "cut player" he was referring to was Mannelly.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, when you tell me the difference between the oldest and youngest team in the nfl is less than 2 years I begin to think that those numbers are completely irrelevant.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just another stat that means nothing. What now? Build a correlation between age and play-off performance?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Just another stat that means nothing. What now? Build a correlation between age and play-off performance?

Well considering Emery was supposed to help,rebuild this roster through the draft and this team has been in need of an overhaul to get younger and more talented I would call it a concern. You can't be on a cycle of three year windows and then completely rebuild one side of the ball as a result of age, it's a recipe for disaster.

On average it takes a team overhaul three years to come together and become fully relevant, in three years Marshall, Forte and Cutler may be completely irrelevant to this franchise while the defense is finally coming together with guys like Fuller Ferguson Sutton Bostic and Greene. Now you have to rebuild the offense with guys heading into the final year or two of their rookie contracts. It's not how you build to be dominant.