Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Hey guys I know we're having quality football discussion in here but I couldn't help but notice the 15-page discussion on Rex Grossman happening. We must be missing out on some real quality football discussion in that thread, just wanted to point that out in case some of you are missing it....
And yet you couldn't help yourself but to go OT. Nice!

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
One of the things I've had discussion with people on is the injury concept.

There is a theory that teams began to take advantage of us on the ground when Melton and Collins went down.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

The truth is teams were destroying us n the air early in the season. Even when we were getting some pressure form the outside, we weren't getting any up the middle in Tuckers "stay home" on first and second philosophy.

QB's were sitting back there and picking us apart.

Eventually coaches realized that they could run a balanced attack on us and INCREASE the RB onus while they REDUCED the amount of chances/hits their QB's might have to take.

The run game was always available to other teams. They just didn't know it until Reggie Bush and his rebuilt knees put up 140 on us. 2 weeks later Old-man Jacobs put up 110. The flood gates opened.

From way downtown....BANG!

You must have actually watched the games last season and have actually retained knowledge from that season. That's rare form around these parts, thanks for your continued contribution to this board.

The same subtle finger prints seem to appear thus far in the preseason let's pray to Halas that's just planned that way.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'm very curious to see how things play out with him in Buffalo. He may be dumber than a box of Rocks but IMO he & Ngata in his prime as good as it gets as multi dimensional DT's that can play as a 3-Tech, 1-shade or 0 nose on the field.

I definitely agree with Houston. As a LDE I think he's a solid lineman at best, as a 3-Tech I think he'd be a motor. I'd LOVE to see Houston on the interior at least in the nickel.

Based on the early training camp reports that were coming out, Houston was doing well at DE but seemed to hit another dimension when rotated inside to play DT in rush situations. I don't think it will be a mistake to not have him at DT but it will be fun to watch him tear it up,from the interior next to Sutton and Young just letting that youth pin their ears back and go get it.

Liked Posts:
Based on the early training camp reports that were coming out, Houston was doing well at DE but seemed to hit another dimension when rotated inside to play DT in rush situations. I don't think it will be a mistake to not have him at DT but it will be fun to watch him tear it up,from the interior next to Sutton and Young just letting that youth pin their ears back and go get it.

Sutton too. He's my favorite draft acquisition & he looks to be getting it quicker than even I thought he would. He'll have some rookie bumps in the road, but I still think were going to look back in a couple of years & see that Sutton was the best defensive pick Emery made, I think even over Fuller.

Yes I am biased toward D-Linemen, but that doesn't change that there really is only one level of defensive play that hasn't been completely obliterated by rule making. There's only really one things a defense can do anymore without & that's pressuring the QB up front. Call me crazy, call me whatever you want, I do think in two years Sutton will be sort of the Alshon Jeffery type pick in terms of quality of this draft.

IMO when this kid adds some strength, gets better with his arms & gets his playing weight exactly where it should be, he'll be the kid I want to see shootin' gaps on the interior.

Madden

Liked Posts:
We simply need to get better on pass Defense. LB's, Corners, and Safeties need to stop giving everyone 5 yards of cushion. I have no faith in Tucker to hide our weaknesses with good scheme.

My only hope is that the DL does get pressure on every play, because if there's no pressure we can't cover anyone for more than 2 seconds.
No QB pressure and no turnovers = bad time

Liked Posts:
We simply need to get better on pass Defense. LB's, Corners, and Safeties need to stop giving everyone 5 yards of cushion. I have no faith in Tucker to hide our weaknesses with good scheme.

My only hope is that the DL does get pressure on every play, because if there's no pressure we can't cover anyone for more than 2 seconds.
No QB pressure and no turnovers = bad time

I hope so too, but I hope even more that the defensive line can actually get to the QB a little more often. The Bear got pressure last season, especially from the DE's but they couldn't get to the QB. I would debate that most of that can be attributed to having names like Landen Cohen at DT. I'll take pressure if nothing else, but after a while a defense earns a rep. Teams either see them as a defense that can make an offense pay, or just be the occasional distraction of the edges that the Bears were last season.

I don't expect a ton of sacks, but if the D-Line is only going to get pressure than it MUST come from the interior. There's pressure off from the edges, & then there's pressure from the interior that QB's go bat shit crazy over. When a DE pressure the QB, the QB can often still keep an eye on his reads, step up & make his completion. However if your DT's are effective & gets that pressure right in the face of the QB, & cuts off the pocket, the QB has no choice but to take his eyes off from his reads, scramble, get himself set & go through his reads all over again. I like the idea of pressure, but the defense to get it from the interior which it didn't do last year. Our DT's couldn't maintain control over the A & B Gaps, & I do think as a result it effected the play of the DE's..

I don't want to sound like pressure doesn't help, it looks good on spread sheets, & it is a must. But we have to hit the QB more often so he doesn't get comfortable. Look at Clinton McDonald DT formerly of the Seahawks. Last season he was one of the best 3-Techs in the game & he along with Mebane made one of if not the best DT/NT tandems in the league, & by no means did McDonald dominate with sack totals having 6 sacks. He applied constant pressure also in the face of opposing QB's, held his gap & played excellent against the run. This allowed Irving & Bennett to make life miserable for opposing QB's off the edges.

Getting nothing from our DT's & pressure off from the edges isn't going to get the defense anywhere. They need to get pressure from the interior, & sacks/hits/hurries from the DE's as a result of that interior pressure. Unfortunately, going back to the OP's diagram spreading out the front 4 in a wide 9 isn't going to help the ability of the defense to do this, at least with the smaller personnel.

Unless you have a monster shade like Dareus, Ngata or Wilfork in his prime at the shade I wouldn't want any part of kicking a 30 something DE out to the 9. Get in a tighter 4-3 under & bring that DE in a bit as a 7 Tech & trust LB to his job at the second level. With this personnel I would prefer the Under base with 5-1-3-7 gap techniques. If the One/Shade does what he's supposed to & draws the double from the C & RG, this helps the chances of freeing up the one on one for 3-Tech vs the LG off the A gap, & also one on one for 7 Tech RDE to attack the inside B gap or the open/closed C, which then allows the WILL playing to the 3-Tech to assume & maintain responsibility for whichever Gap the RDE doesn't attack whether it's the interior B or open/closed C (Whatever the play calls for).

Now to the strong side of the Shade, again if the Shade is able to do what's asked & draw that double from the C & RG, the 5 Tech will have to bend the edge so that the SAM can jam the flat cleanly. The 5 Tech must stay patient & must keep contain, & not release to go for the QB unless it's a stunt. Otherwise the lineman will attack the Sam at the second level & the QB or HB is probably going to run for a fat gain if the 5 fails to get to the QB. IZZY did this in the 2012 Seattle game & they made the Bears pay hard for it.

The Wide 9 without a potent shade is crazy & with the wrong personnel is basically an open invitation for interior linemen to go to the second level. If you can't draw that double the 9 is spread too way to far & the LB is going to get destroyed on the counter by the Guard at the second level. I think the Bears personnel up front best fits the 4-3 under & that is what they should base their defensive system around, & with some new wrinkles in the 2 gap sub that they have been tinkering around with.

Liked Posts:
Much of this is very good and also entertaining. I've copied it to a folder and will have it available around week 6-7 and we'll see how it has all transpired. I'm sticking to my simple assessment: Tucker is in way over his head as DC.

Liked Posts:
Much of this is very good and also entertaining. I've copied it to a folder and will have it available around week 6-7 and we'll see how it has all transpired. I'm sticking to my simple assessment: Tucker is in way over his head as DC.

Old Santa Cruz CA population 5150 (add two zeros). How are things out there in the hills? I fucking love that town.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I have a few questions. Do you think Tucker will learn from his wide 9 mistakes and will not have Allen lining up the same? Do you think we will mix up the read react with a more aggressive approach on early downs? Or does a coordinator become too thick headed to change when something doesn't work?

Most importantly, do you think we will show more cover 1 this year? If Fuller is as good as they say he is, and with Tillman and Jennings being a strength to our defense, why do we have to worry about relying on double safety help over the top? Bringing Mundy into the box will help the run D, especially in nickel on early downs. Cover 2 on early downs doesn't help the run game with read react and leaves a gap for the tight end. Cover 3 is fine if you have fast linebackers on the outside that can cover. Bostic is fast but he can't cover.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With the great improvement of the defensive line, the lbs should improve also in their role. Briggs should have a huge year in cleaning things up. Bostic also might have an impact season. I really am excited about what I think will be the improvement of the defense.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I could really see the Bears putting both Houston and Allen at one side of the line quite a bit. That really could be fun to watch. I would hope that tucker uses some imagination with his defense.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Look, has anyone taken a look into what kind of teams and talent that Tucker had in his history as a defensive guy? I am just asking the question. Sometimes what you do or can do is pretty damn dependent on what kind of talent that you have at the time. I cannot believe that Tucker will remain vanilla when he has added four good players to his defense. IF he does, then it would very much surprise me. I don't see how he can screw it up.

Liked Posts:
I have a few questions. Do you think Tucker will learn from his wide 9 mistakes and will not have Allen lining up the same? Do you think we will mix up the read react with a more aggressive approach on early downs? Or does a coordinator become too thick headed to change when something doesn't work?

Most importantly, do you think we will show more cover 1 this year? If Fuller is as good as they say he is, and with Tillman and Jennings being a strength to our defense, why do we have to worry about relying on double safety help over the top? Bringing Mundy into the box will help the run D, especially in nickel on early downs. Cover 2 on early downs doesn't help the run game with read react and leaves a gap for the tight end. Cover 3 is fine if you have fast linebackers on the outside that can cover. Bostic is fast but he can't cover.

I hope. But ultimately no he'll still run it. Look at the history of coaches & coordinators. There going to do what they're going to do. I still think we'll see WIDE 9 formations. The formation can work but you have to have the right personnel. You do need a big powerful athletic shade & a dominate multi dimensional RDE. The Bears didn't have that last year. With last years personell I don't they should have ran the Wide 9 at all, this years personnel I think they can do it at times, but not with any regularity. But that's just my own guess based on a few unknowns up front.

If your talking base cover 2 or base cover 3, I'd still stick with the cover 3. I don't want to give up on Bostic & he has shown some signs this preseason of being able to hold down simple hook zone coverage, especially on base cover 2 & 3 plays. McClellin scares me more than Bostic. I don't think that it's the simple base defenses like the base cover 3 that Bostic has trouble with, I think it's on plays that call for a LB blitz & a LB to stay in coverage or other plays that mix & match in similar manners.

When I watch old Giants games with Bill Belichick as the DC, whenever he would huddle up with his personnel during a T.O. the thing he would stress the most to his personnel is to "now your place" on the field. Bostic has the ability to cover, I personally suspect it's very simple with Bostic. He doesn't study his playbook or had/has trouble retaining it. The physical ability is clearly there with Bostic to play coverage, at times he doesn't do it well because he clearly doesn't know where to be on the field when he does make mistakes. He played simple zone hook coverage's in Florida, now all of the sudden with new verbiage & a new PB on new team he has trouble knowing where to be on the field. That clearly tells me he had/has trouble learning & retaining the PB. I don't what else it could be because the physical ability is clearly there with Bostic. I do think he'll be better this year & I'd rather have Bostic out there than McClellin 8 days a week.

So if you are talking base cover 3, I'm not worried about Bostic in coverage on base plays like a simple cover 2 or cover 3, it's on plays that ask the LB's to do any variant of different things like play coverage, spy, contain, or blitz.

Liked Posts:
With the great improvement of the defensive line, the lbs should improve also in their role. Briggs should have a huge year in cleaning things up. Bostic also might have an impact season. I really am excited about what I think will be the improvement of the defense.

I wouldn't count on this unless Tucker plans on running more two gap that will keep a given set of the O-Linemen at bay & funnel the play through the LB's. When the Bears are playing in a 1 gap 4 man pass rush, good linemen are going to get to the second level any way you slice it. It may not be in a fashion they prefer, but it's going to happen Especially with a 1-gap 4 man attacking front that's attacking the QB & the HB with the D-Linemen. Having better D-Linemen will help a bit, especially when they are in the 2 -gap sub Tucker has been messing with, but not as much I think people tend to assume. Any way you slice it, the Bears LB's are going to have to learn to successfully play to contact at the second level.

Liked Posts:
Look, has anyone taken a look into what kind of teams and talent that Tucker had in his history as a defensive guy? I am just asking the question. Sometimes what you do or can do is pretty damn dependent on what kind of talent that you have at the time. I cannot believe that Tucker will remain vanilla when he has added four good players to his defense. IF he does, then it would very much surprise me. I don't see how he can screw it up.

Yes, an average to downright bad Jaguars defense full of sub par talent that he, if not have a hand or say in his GM acquiring that talent, at the very least helped poorly over see & evaluate that sub par talent into poor working defensive units behind a very bland base Tampa 2 defensive scheme. He had one year as a DC with the 24th ranked defense that was ranked 11th in point differential in his second season as the Jags DC, afterwards they declined almost every season until he was hired to the Bears. That's our DC who's been around long enough to have developed a bit of a pattern. He may not have picked the talent, but he's damn well in that war room & either on or not on board with the talent acquired for his defenses.

How many years have you watched this game & how many off seasons have you watched HC/OC's & DC's at the combine, player workouts, & pro days, among knowing the large amounts of team & player tape they analyze? Tucker was aware of the talent they were acquiring in Jacksonville.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about cover 1? Why is is taboo even if you have the corners to play man?
You also need someone at FS that can play the "center-fielder" type safety play that we have not seen competently done here since Mike Brown.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently, according to the other thread, we need Lance Briggs to stop opening restaurants.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that we will find out soon enough whether or not, Tucker is a good coach. Emery has given him a better assembly of talent this year. WE should see a significant improvement. If we don't, it will be on him because I think that the talent is better. The big key to me is stopping the run. IF they do than a lot of last year's problems are solved.