I honestly thought the Wanny defenses were worse than last year

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Maybe not rushing, but passing for sure. Remember how Favre used to destroy us literally every single time?

Liked Posts:
Absolutely not. Favre would have ripped apart our defense last year too. We couldn't stop the run, we couldn't stop the pass, we couldn't get pressure on the defense. Keep in mind he was the best quarterback in the league.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
stopping the run is the most fundamental aspect of football, because your life is a living hell if you cannot. We are is fail.

I am confident Allen/Houston/Ratliff and a healthy Paea plus a natural Nt in Big Fergy and its a completely different team. Young is also hear because he graded out in PFF and other measures as fantastic against the run. So was Houston. Andd then Allen/Ratlff just know exactly what is going on with years of pro-bowl level experience.

If Bostic can't stop the run behind these guys, then he is trashier than I thought.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Generic NFL overall rankings of the Chicago Bear defense under Dave Wannstedt:

4th, 10th, 22nd, 12nd, 29th and 23rd.

(not that I'm saying...I'm just saying)

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, last year was a shitstorm of biblical proportions.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
No, last year was a shitstorm of biblical proportions.
And the shitstorm wasn't fired....

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

Wow that is a fail on my part. I thought it was so much worse in 96-98.

BIGGIEsmalls 23

Liked Posts:
I don't like Tucker, but the homer in me makes me have hope. He's probably as dumb as I think he is.
I desperately want the defense to do well this season because, IMO, we would win the Superbowl. Unfortunately, none of Tucker's past body of work gives me much confidence.

mecha

Liked Posts:

these are all still pretty terrible metrics, all points considered... seeing as how dude was a SB winning DC. wasn't he in charge of drafting too?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Absolutely not. Favre would have ripped apart our defense last year too. We couldn't stop the run, we couldn't stop the pass, we couldn't get pressure on the defense. Keep in mind he was the best quarterback in the league.

Sure Favre was great but I do not know if Rodgers is less than he was. Any good quarterback would destroy the Bears defense last year. You do not lose as many pro bowl caliber and other good players and not have a great qb exploit things.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To me it is like comparing who is the worst all time Bears offenses. It doesn't matter ultimately if Wanny's defenses were worse than last years. What matters is that this defense was bad last year and had better be much better this year. We don't have to have a top 10 defense to go far this year but we need a 15-20th ranked one to make it deep into the playoffs.

I'm really hoping that Tucker knows what he is doing. I really don't want to see another year of teams running through our defense like it was some kind of cone drill. I kept waiting for someone, anyone to step up and take command of that squad on the field and no one seemed to be able to do it.

The worst part was that there was no pride in that defensive unit. This would be fine if these guys played for some run of the mill NFL franchise but this is the CHICAGO BEARS. Defense has been the hallmark of this team since it was founded. It should be considered an honor putting on the same uniform as players like Turner, George, Butkis, Fencik, Marshall, Singletary, Dent, Hampton and Atkins. Instead these guys played slow, stupid and lost. Personally, I think Conte should have his number changed to 46; maybe he can channel Doug Plank.

Liked Posts:
stopping the run is the most fundamental aspect of football, because your life is a living hell if you cannot. We are is fail.

I am confident Allen/Houston/Ratliff and a healthy Paea plus a natural Nt in Big Fergy and its a completely different team. Young is also hear because he graded out in PFF and other measures as fantastic against the run. So was Houston. Andd then Allen/Ratlff just know exactly what is going on with years of pro-bowl level experience.

If Bostic can't stop the run behind these guys, then he is trashier than I thought.

He was a 309 lbs shade out of Les Miles 4-3 1 gap Tampa 2 defense at LSU that was one of the worst run defenses in college football last season. I'll wait & see with "Big Fergy".

DaQuan Jones, now that's an athletic 6'4" 324 lbs MoFo that's going to be able to play 2-gap on the nose or as a 1 gap shade or even 3-Tech. I haven't seen a D-Lineman with a 6'4" frame carry 324 as well as Jones in a long time, & he plays like wreaking ball at both the Shade & 3-Tech positions.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
these are all still pretty terrible metrics, all points considered... seeing as how dude was a SB winning DC. wasn't he in charge of drafting too?
He had a voice in draft picks, but these were the "Little Mikey Years"...so I have a hard time pinning too much of that on Wanny.

Yeah those numbers are not fantastic, but still averages out to be better than the horror show we saw last season...that's all I was getting at.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't like Tucker, but the homer in me makes me have hope. He's probably as dumb as I think he is.

The horse has been beat to death but.... Tucker scares the shit out of me. I hope, and part of me thinks, that the injuries last year were just too much to handle-for anyone. The fact of the matter is that we're going to find out pretty fast whether or not Tucker is part of the problem.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets