Starlin Castro

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
People can say what they want, but this kid makes no excuses. He started August batting .272. He is now at .290 and has had 12 multi hit games in the last 27. But, thats not what this is about. This about a young kid who looks to be growing up before out eye.

ST. LOUIS – Starlin Castro doesn’t whine or make excuses or find ways to get out of the lineup. He doesn’t duck the media or run from the criticism. He’s a tough player, a lot harder to replace than simply anointing the next Cubs shortstop.

It’s been an emotionally draining time in a career that’s already seen so many ups and downs, but Castro always tries to be the same guy every day, accepting the responsibility that comes with being a face of the franchise.

Castro opened up in the middle of Saturday’s doubleheader at Busch Stadium, standing in front of his locker after a 5-1 victory over the Cardinals in Game 1. A sellout crowd of 44,755 had watched Castro slam Justin Masterson’s pitch off the second-deck facing, a fifth-inning missile that left no doubt.

[RELATED - Anthony Rizzo sees Cubs sending message: The future is now]

It didn’t matter how hard Castro ran out of the box. He could jog the rest of the way after matching his career high in home runs (14), part of a bounce-back All-Star season that sometimes gets lost in all the instant outrage on Twitter.

Castro stays above that, trying to honor the loved ones he recently lost in a fatal car crash in the Dominican Republic, a sudden tragedy that forced him to go on the bereavement list on Aug. 21 and head back home to deal with a family crisis.

“It’s a really tough moment for me,” Castro said, “because I lost one of my best friends, one cousin and two more guys in the same neighborhood. It is really tough, but every time I talked with those guys, they would always tell me: ‘We feel good seeing you do your job.’

“I had to go there and see those guys for the last time. (I remember how) the only thing they say is: ‘Keep playing hard, we’ll be happy. Always.’ That’s what I (put) in my mind to keep going: I can do anything.

“The only guy that knows (why) is God and He does things for a reason. It’s tough. Just try to be strong. Every day I pray to God to be strong because it’s really tough. Just come in here every day to try to make those guys happy.”

Castro rejoined the team in Cincinnati, where Jorge Soler homered with his first big-league swing on Wednesday night. But that 7-5 loss to the Reds became another State of Castro breakdown after he admired a long single to center that bounced off the wall at Great American Ball Park, potentially short-circuiting a late rally.

[MORE - Jorge Soler, Javier Baez and where Cubs lineup goes from here]

Castro doesn’t believe he gets singled out or unfairly criticized.

“No, no, I don’t think so,” Castro said. “I think the reason is everybody that comes in here looks at me and looks at (Anthony) Rizzo. We have to play hard to show those young guys coming up: ‘He’s here for a long time and he’s running hard and he plays hard.’

“It’s a mistake on my (part). I don’t have any excuse for this. We’re talking a lot and we try to do it together. We’re already a young team. We just try to have everybody come in here and play hard. If young guys come in here and see me not play hard, they don’t do it.

“When that thing happens, I apologize to the team, because it’s really my fault. I don’t have any excuse for this. There’s not an excuse for this.”

It looked like Castro wanted to make up for it on Friday night at Busch Stadium, getting thrown out trying to stretch a double into a triple during a 7-2 win over the Cardinals. But otherwise it’s hard to remember the last time he had a glaring mental lapse. His concentration has improved, he feels that confidence again and he now has three All-Star selections before turning 25.

After Theo Epstein fired manager Dale Sveum last year, the president of baseball operations talked about how “there has to be love before there’s tough love.” So Castro’s relationship with Rick Renteria – his fourth manager in five seasons – would be under the microscope.

“I clearly believe that he’s gotten better,” Renteria said. “I think the conversation has changed about him a little bit. I don’t think it’s just simply pick on him. I don’t see that at all. I think that people have been recognizing how he’s been going about doing his business, and rightfully so.

“Everybody has the right to judge us when we fail at doing something. (That’s) just part of the way the landscape is. The question is: Can we all learn from our own mistakes?

“Here’s a young man who feels bad when he doesn’t do well. He takes it to heart. I know people may not necessarily believe it, but he does.”

Castro understands that he has to set the example, because he has $60 million guaranteed and the Cubs are trying to establish an identity.

[RELATED - Cubs ‘just waiting for Bryant now’ after Soler/Baez beat Cardinals]

“Everybody looks at us,” Castro said. “Look at me, look at Rizzo – everybody comes in here to play hard. (Don’t) even think: ‘Yo, I’m in the big leagues.’ No, just come in here to play hard, because the reason (we’re here) is to win.”

Castro still remembers what Alfonso Soriano told him, how the $136 million man came to work every day and never stopped trying to get better.

“Don’t even think about money,” Castro said. “Don’t think about (anything else). You’re here already. No matter what, they have to pay you. But sometimes young guys look at you and only think about money. They can’t do that.

“But if you show we don’t care about money – we’re here, the money’s going to be there – (then) no matter what, (we’ll) just try to play hard and try to win. Because that’s the only reason we’re here: Win.”

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/no-excuses-starlin-castro-wants-be-leader-cubs

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
So Castro even thinks he made a mistake stretching for the triple. Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I've been critical of his mental mistakes. However, it's nice to see him facing his weakness' like a Man. I Love to hear him wanting to be a role model for some of the young guys.

If he can hit like this moving forward, and eliminate the majority of the mental mistakes, he can be a leader of the new Cubs moving forward. I will be just fine with this. Unlike some other people, I want Castro to be great, not just good. Kudos to Castro!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't agree with the part that it's hard to think of any other mental lapses recently. He made three in a week in July, all on the bases.

But the reason they bug me is because I really do want to see him do well. I know he has talent, and I have been a supporter. I have not seen the lapses in the field that we saw before. But the base running was not acceptable.

I am glad to see him taking responsibility and making no excuses. When I saw a column regarding Castro and leadership, I chuckled. But it was nice to see him owning up. A good sign.

He may wind up being dealt, but at this point I see no need for that. Kid can hit. Just don't try to make him a power hitter. He has some pop, but we need guys on base, and he can pile up some hits.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll give the guy a break after dealing with tragedy. It is completely understandable if he made a mental mistake after coming back. Swear there is still a human factor going on. These guys are not robots.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/20...stro-chicago-cubs-baseball-error-base-running

Good article on Castro baserunning. He isnt this atrocious player but he def. needs some work. Also, people slam on him for not stealing more bases, but I have been reading that it may just be an organizational decision. Theo and Jed do not care so much for stolen bases.
From your link-

Leave aside the risk/reward of stretching a double to a triple (seen by reviewing the Tom Tango Run Expectancy Matrix) and consider that everything had to go right for the Cardinals to throw Castro out. In this case it did -- Matt Holliday recovered the ball that got by Jon Jay on a quirky bounce, made a good relay to Jhonny Peralta, who made an outstanding throw to Matt Carpenter, who applied the tag with what appears to be about .01 seconds to spare. If any of these four steps is off by even a minute fraction of a second, Castro is being applauded for showing hustle. It's a knife-edge line between success and failure sometimes.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Come on man, you're better than this strawman argument :-/

Its tongue and cheek but there are def. fans who follow sabers and believe in robotic like performances.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Again, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Castro trying to stretch the double into a triple.

The mistake was slowing and looking back.

But any time a guy is thrown out by a whisker on a perfect relay, it was not a mistake to run.

For example, some people think a good 3rd base coach is the one who never gets a guy thrown out at home. That is not the case. If never thrown out, you're too conservative.

Castro's mistake was not aggressiveness. It was execution. And this particular mistake was not a biggie. nothing like the three in a week from July that I bitch about. Those were lack of focus and awareness. This was not, and was not a big deal.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cleated himself sliding into 2nd. But he doesn't hustle amirite?

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Another basic fundamental, keeping your cleats up on a foot first slide. Also, to see him get hurt on a play at the plate, where there was no play, is just terrible. The C wasn't even moving. It's time that the Cubs, and fans, need to realize this IS a problem. It doesn't matter how well he's hitting if he's not in the lineup. People need to wake up.

slide.gif

Liked Posts:
It's always something with him. He's high maintenance for what he is.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
It's always something with him. He's high maintenance for what he is.

This is the very kind of thing that's makes me believe the Cubs could trade him. The real question I have, is how much have the Cubs been working with his base running. If not, shame on the Cubs, but if they have, and Castro is just not getting it, not good.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another basic fundamental, keeping your cleats up on a foot first slide. Also, to see him get hurt on a play at the plate, where there was no play, is just terrible. The C wasn't even moving. It's time that the Cubs, and fans, need to realize this IS a problem. It doesn't matter how well he's hitting if he's not in the lineup. People need to wake up.

slide.gif

Bearspride, thank you for that well thought out post. I know a guy that is top 3 in every SS offensive category can be a burden to you because he hurt his ankle. We should trade him so you can sleep well at night. Dont worry about a player at the age of 25 will have over 1000 hits. Lets realize his biggest issues is his cleat got caught and its the first time he has been half way hurt in his career. I know playing 158 games plus a year is not enough for you, so I thank you for your knowledge.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cannot stand the amount of ridicule, and people thinking Castro should be traded.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Bearspride, thank you for that well thought out post. I know a guy that is top 3 in every SS offensive category can be a burden to you because he hurt his ankle. We should trade him so you can sleep well at night. Dont worry about a player at the age of 25 will have over 1000 hits. Lets realize his biggest issues is his cleat got caught and its the first time he has been half way hurt in his career. I know playing 158 games plus a year is not enough for you, so I thank you for your knowledge.

Bearspride? What does this mean? I'm just pointing out reality, and taking a bunch of heat for it mind you. I support the kid, but I just can't condone just how bad he is on the base path. How's this for reality? I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last game as a Cub.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:

slide.gif

That was a freak accident and 99 out of every 100 players wouldn't get hurt on that slide. Give me a break man, he's a good player.