BEARS Have A Decision Looming Re: Marquess Wilson

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4693997/decision-looms-on-marquess-wilson

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman wants to wait a couple more days before making a decision about whether to keep Marquess Wilson on the active roster.

With the receiver expected to miss the next month, the Bears can free up a spot on the active roster Tuesday at 3 p.m. by placing Wilson on the injured reserve with a designation to return.

“I think I could better answer that after Wednesday’s practice, and it’s simply because there’s a lot of technical CBA rules involved in this thing,” Trestman said. “I think that to bring clarity to it, I’d rather give you that answer as we move through the week.”

If the Bears decide to place Wilson on the injured reserve with a designation to return, he won’t be able to participate in practice until Week 7 and won’t be eligible to play until Nov. 9, when the team travels to Green Bay coming off its bye week.

If Wilson remains on the active roster, he’ll continue to occupy a spot the team could use to bolster another position. But the positive side of that is Wilson could return to action as soon as he recovers instead of waiting until Week 7 just to be eligible to practice.

Every team is allowed to use the IR with designation to return only once per year. The Bears used their short-term IR designation last season on Charles Tillman after he suffered a triceps injury during a November loss to the Detroit Lions.

The team might opt to use the short-term designation on Wilson given the presence of veteran receiver Santonio Holmes, who is now expected to take on the No. 3 role. Now that the Bears are in game-planning mode, the playbook will be narrowed significantly for the Week 1 matchup against Buffalo, which would give Holmes a better opportunity to fully absorb the aspects of the system the team will utilize against the Bills.

“At this point, there’s no comfort level [in the offense],” Holmes said. “Still learning the system, working my way into one of the core guys for this team, and I still have a lot to learn. [I’m] spending a lot of time with Coach [Mike] Groh learning the offense, going over plays, formation, personnel and things like that on a daily basis to keep me caught up with the team.”

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am assuming he is waiting for a status report from the medical team before he makes a final decision. If he can come back in a month it makes little sense IRing him but if it is going to be six weeks plus then I can see him going. At that point there isn't a whole lot of difference between coming back week five or week seven.

I'm guessing Holmes is having a difficult time. This is a complicated offense and most of these guys have been working in it for two years now. Thank God we aren't looking for a primary role from Santonio because it would be hard for him to fill that role. At number 3, with his talent, he should be fine. He might even stick around for a couple of years.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
I would IR him. I like his potential, & I found him to be the most intriguing offensive player heading into this season, but at the end of the day he was a seventh round pick for a reason(s), & the Bears desperately need help at either LB or Safety now. If Wilson is the difference in acquiring Vet Safety or LB help, IR him yesterday.

Bearsweatherman

Liked Posts:
I don't think this has anything to do with Holmes, this is all about how quick can Wilson return. Why take up a roster spot with a guy that can't play for 7 weeks? I like Wilson but at this point designate him to return later in the season. Trestman may also be wanting to get through a few more practices to make sure someone else doesn't get injured that they would need to use that designation on.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL's roster rules are terrible. Why does a sport this prone to injury have so little flexibility? It is a great league but the roster stuff...

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The NFL's roster rules are terrible. Why does a sport this prone to injury have so little flexibility? It is a great league but the roster stuff...

Agreed, they need to have multiple levels of IR

Emanbears23

Liked Posts:

Agreed. Sure there should be a limit to how many players you can call IRed and save to your team, but for guys legit injured, you should be able to IR them for how ever long you want and take them off whenever they are healthy.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think that the decision has anything to do with medical reports coming out or Holmes' capability of learning the offense. There were a lot of players released over the weekend and we are looking at plenty of them.

For me though, I don't know if adding a linebacker at this time accomplishes anything, we have plenty of them, it is just the quality that may be lacking, it's not the quantity. We should be looking at players that have been released for special teams, which I think just might be a total fucking disaster.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a 53 that has Michael Spurlock and David Fales on it while still frighteningly thin at linebacker and safety. Phil ain't done yet and Wilson is just one of the puzzle pieces that may get moved around.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It makes sense to use the short term IR, but I can see them not using it.

You can only use that designation once per year. Inevitably, players are going to get hurt during the year. This is the healthiest the team is going to be this season.

So do you use it now when you only have one guy on the 53-man roster who can't suit up or do you wait until late in the season when you've got several guys in that situation?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well they are probably hoping to save the designated IR for injuries that happen in season.

I wonder if they aren't waiting to see if they bring someone new in.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't think that the decision has anything to do with medical reports coming out or Holmes' capability of learning the offense. There were a lot of players released over the weekend and we are looking at plenty of them.

For me though, I don't know if adding a linebacker at this time accomplishes anything, we have plenty of them, it is just the quality that may be lacking, it's not the quantity. We should be looking at players that have been released for special teams, which I think just might be a total fucking disaster.

Use it later. Calling it, not trolling.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
With Holmes here I don't know if Wilson is important enough to use the short term IR on. How much can this kid really contribute this year? He needs to stay on the roster but to think that he will come back and be the #3 and get a bunch of reps is kind of crazy. I don't know how big of a contributor on special teams Wilson is. I'd expect him to come back and take the #4 spot from Morgan which IMO would make Morgan expendable at that point.

They could IR Wilson and bring in another body at Safety, Linebacker, or TE but the real question is whether or not there is anybody worth bringing in that is worth doing that for? And if this person they are bringing in is that good why not just cut one of the fringe players that are already in those spots?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well they are probably hoping to save the designated IR for injuries that happen in season.

I wonder if they aren't waiting to see if they bring someone new in.

It's logically foolish to do that.,if you simply apply the principals of game theory and consider possibility.

You have no idea if you're doing to get a player hurt in a way to use it on him. Every week you don't use it, the designation becomes less valuable and Wilson is either taking up a spot or not ever coming back.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Holmes here I don't know if Wilson is important enough to use the short term IR on. How much can this kid really contribute this year? He needs to stay on the roster but to think that he will come back and be the #3 and get a bunch of reps is kind of crazy. I don't know how big of a contributor on special teams Wilson is. I'd expect him to come back and take the #4 spot from Morgan which IMO would make Morgan expendable at that point.

They could IR Wilson and bring in another body at Safety, Linebacker, or TE but the real question is whether or not there is anybody worth bringing in that is worth doing that for? And if this person they are bringing in is that good why not just cut one of the fringe players that are already in those spots?

But the question isn't really about Wilson or Holmes. Those are both guys the Bears know they want on the roster.

The question is about who they would sign with the extra spot. And then cut later when Wilson returns. Bears already made their cuts. If any of those players were compelling, they would have used it already instead of risking losing one of em.

Maybe they are still trying to bring a safety or returner in. Or maybe they are wait to see if anyone tries to poach a PS guy that they want.

Reactions: WCL

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
Not sure bringing in a LB makes much sense now. We have two vets and 4 draft pics at LB'er. Going to have to go through the growing pains at some point. Hopefully this D line can really step up, it'll make the back 7 look really good.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not sure bringing in a LB makes much sense now. We have two vets and 4 draft pics at LB'er. Going to have to go through the growing pains at some point. Hopefully this D line can really step up, it'll make the back 7 look really good.

I'd settle for mediocre / serviceable.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Umm... Christian Jones is not a draft pick.

Liked Posts:

And the safety position? It all comes down to what's available but I find it hard to believe that an addition at LB or Safety through cautious evaluation would hurt any.